Rome to Victory Release Date

On 9/8/2019 at 4:17 AM, Frenchy56 said:

I heard the Brazilians won't get their own voices. So don't hold your breath.

Looks like Ian beat me to asking. Where did you hear that? It certainly wasn't "in game" because I was just doing something with some Brazilian troops and it sure sounded like Portuguese to me. #fakenews

43 minutes ago, nik mond said:

Don't worry, Ian does a mean Chico Buarque impersonation. You will be convinced. His Tony Montana is pretty good too but that's for the next module chu cockaroach. 

This would probably actually suit my purposes even better than if they spoke Portugese!  :P

22 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Looks like Ian beat me to asking. Where did you hear that? It certainly wasn't "in game" because I was just doing something with some Brazilian troops and it sure sounded like Portuguese to me. #fakenews

#goodnews

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

#spolieralert The Indian voices aren't British voices. How do I know? I hired the voice over actors. 🙂 Of course I have to take it on faith that they are saying what the script said as I don't speak the language.......for all I know they could be saying "this Elvis guy ain't too bright, is he?"

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

This is good to hear! I always found it remarkable how many different languages the Allies had to deal with.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

#spolieralert The Indian voices aren't British voices. How do I know? I hired the voice over actors. 🙂 Of course I have to take it on faith that they are saying what the script said as I don't speak the language.......for all I know they could be saying "this Elvis guy ain't too bright, is he?"

Next time get the voice actors to add one extra item that says that - would be a fun easter egg :)

1 minute ago, DerKommissar said:

This is good to hear! I always found it remarkable how many different languages the Allies had to deal with.

Right? Ever wonder what the South African voices will sound like? Trevor Noah? Charlize Theron? I guess folks will have to wait to find out. 🙂

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Thanks for clarifying, Elvis. I had heard something about "substitutes" for voices for the new factions, don't remember from who. Might just have been me.

11 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Right? Ever wonder what the South African voices will sound like? Trevor Noah? Charlize Theron? I guess folks will have to wait to find out. 🙂

Die Antwoord? I am hyped to find out which language (English or Afrikaans) they will speak -- let alone how they sound.

Charlize Theron -- female soldiers confirmed for CMx2? xD

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

because I was just doing something with some Brazilian troops and it sure sounded like Portuguese to me. #fakenews

#spolieralert The Indian voices aren't British voices. How do I know? I hired the voice over actors. 🙂

Now, those are some great bones right there! Awesome news.

Mord.

LOL.  Depending on the Regiment's home state, there's also the issue of speaking the correct mother tongue.  Can't have Sikh's speaking Bengali.  Nor would the Mahratta's speak Tamil.  Good luck with your Acceptance Test planning . . . :rolleyes:

#spolieralert The Indian voices aren't British voices. How do I know? I hired the voice over actors. 🙂

How do you even do that? Is there a voice acting site you can go to hire them?

Mord.

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

LOL.  Depending on the Regiment's home state, there's also the issue of speaking the correct mother tongue.  Can't have Sikh's speaking Bengali.  Nor would the Mahratta's speak Tamil.  Good luck with your Acceptance Test planning . . . :rolleyes:

I'll tell you which language I chose if you want.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

How do you even do that? Is there a voice acting site you can go to hire them?

Mord.

Good question.  We bounced around several ideas because normally there is someone who is a tester or been around for a while that can do French, Italian,  Brazilian,  etc....voices. My son, he just turned 18, is interested in game design and has used a site for voice over, music, sprite creation and other things recommended a site. We wanted at least 2 voices for some variety.  The first guy I got over delivered. I have him a script and he had it back to me the next day. That is 278 individual sound bites. The second guy was a different story....I got him the script on a Sunday...Monday he said it would take a few days. Friday he said he'd have it by Sunday. Sunday he said definitely Monday morning. Monday afternoon he said that he "wasn't comfortable saying the words". Probably lines like "fire your guns", "kill them all" or somefink. I never heard from him again. The third guy said he'd need 3 days. On the 3rd day he delivered all as promised. 

Ya gotta figure recording 278 individual lines and making 278 individual files has got to be a massive PITA. I think there are 6 variations of things like "reload".

28 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Good question.  We bounced around several ideas because normally there is someone who is a tester or been around for a while that can do French, Italian,  Brazilian,  etc....voices. My son, he just turned 18, is interested in game design and has used a site for voice over, music, sprite creation and other things recommended a site.

Ahh, cool. I was pretty close. There's a site (I think Neil Gaiman is a co-founder) that connects authors with spoken word readers. A writer looking to get his book recorded can go there and listen to samples then cut a deal with the voice reader/actor he likes best. Did they have sample files for you to hear?

28 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Ya gotta figure recording 278 individual lines and making 278 individual files has got to be a massive PITA. I think there are 6 variations of things like "reload".

Oh, I know all about that. I did two full on voice mods for BN and SF. I even did some specific files for the Army and Marines for SF using lingo from each branch. I was horse as all get out when they were done. I can't remember exactly how long it took but I'd guess at least 30 hours. I think the Shock Force one I did on Easter and BN was on Thanksgiving, then I spent a few days chopping them up and editing etc. They were fun mods, but labor intensive for sure!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Fortunately adding voice files is a rather low tech affair. A cheap microphone and windows sound recorder does the purpose IF.. it can be ascertained that no (or very little) room ambience from recording room is added to the recording (put some bedding or blanket over the head). Also distance to microphone should be somewhat larger ( a foot or more) and maybe angled to avoid that radio moderator "in your face" sound. Bits of post editing in an audio app though is necessary (cutting, normalizing, format change, bit´s of EQ´ing etc) Depends on taste, but usually I prefer more natural (or neutral) and not in your face Hollywood sounds. Also helps if adding any live reverberation FX from soundcard i.e to create some indoor and MOUT battle sonic FX (if map is majorily of this type). Thought about adding/expanding german voice files these ways, but didn´t came to it yet.