Jump to content

Here is What I Dont Understand about BF?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One element that has genuinely changed for the worse is the loss of ChrisND, and his twitch streams. Those were superb content, both in terms of engaging with the player base and highlighting upcoming

Yes and no...according to MikeyD, BF apparently also incurs a lot of brain damage determining OOBs and TO&Es for formations that I doubt anyone ever uses.  I was simply suggesting that they could

I've been playing Combat Mission equally as long, and I think it's an amazing outfit with wonderful support - I never got so much escapism in my life before. CMSF2 was incredible - a huge leap forward

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Holien said:

A type of Burger?

I've never quite understood why we carried on using "pounder" for a handful of guns, whilst almost everything else was designated in "inches". Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

And thanks again to 17-pounder aka @76mm for taking my banter in good spirit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone actually talk about CMX2 anymore.

Not really, especially if on another site.

Face it , its a system that now has been around for many years. There is not going to be any great new or major changes.

For those of us that like the game and the system, its a time where us die-hard players get some new toys or features to let us

play around with a new scene as to area of the conflict, but no, its not a brand new toy that is going to pull in a bunch of new enthusiasm.

 

Until a CMx3  engine comes out with all sorts of new approaches to the same old challenge of how best to reflect combat as to how it actually plays out will we see any massive wave of forum discussions and tons of debate and discussion on how that system could be improved to do it even better.

But when a new engine ever does come, it will be as different as CMx1 was to CMx2

and I am sure that magically there will be plenty of activity on the forum from long lost players and new players that we have never seen before.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Freyberg said:

My thoughts exactly - 'fanbois' is such a juvenile term.

I mostly take umbridge with being classified as French, as it seems the term must be.  If I were french I would have much cheaper health care & also infinitely less expensive college tuition.  And better pastries.  But no American football or baseball.  So I guess I don't really want to be French after all.  but the pastries...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've never quite understood why we carried on using "pounder" for a handful of guns, whilst almost everything else was designated in "inches".

It seems to have had its origins in naval canons during the Age of Sail. Perhaps it was easier to accurately cast canon balls by weight than by diameter. The same system of measurement was also used for army canon, although these were by and large much smaller and lighter. I suppose on land portability was valued above the ability to smash down walls after the end of the 17th. century or thereabouts.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

It seems to have had its origins in naval canons during the Age of Sail. Perhaps it was easier to accurately cast canon balls by weight than by diameter. The same system of measurement was also used for army canon, although these were by and large much smaller and lighter. I suppose on land portability was valued above the ability to smash down walls after the end of the 17th. century or thereabouts.

Michael

There seems to be a misunderstanding of my question. I know why "pounder" was used in the first place, it was even used on the continent into the 19th Century. What I can't fathom is why in the UK it continued to be used for just a handful of guns after everything else, mortars, howitzers, naval guns etc had switched to either inches or mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

What I can't fathom is why in the UK it continued to be used for just a handful of guns after everything else, mortars, howitzers, naval guns etc had switched to either inches or mm.

Well you know how hidebound the British are about traditions. They couldn't completely let go of them.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Well you know how hidebound the British are about traditions. They couldn't completely let go of them.

Michael

Hahahaha. I have tried a bit of my own research, it looks like we carried on using "pounder"for tank and AT guns through the late 40's and 50's, and finally caught up with the rest of the world in 1959. 

Edited by Warts 'n' all
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Hahahaha. I have tried a bit of my own research, it looks like we carried on using "pounder"for tank and AT guns through the late 40's and 50's, and finally caught up with the rest of the world in 1959. 

I think there were holdouts.  I still recall back in the 1970's serving beside an officer from the Royal Tank Regiment in liaison with a US Army tank battalion who often called the M-60 tank's 105mm main gun a 25 pounder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

I think there were holdouts.  I still recall back in the 1970's serving beside an officer from the Royal Tank Regiment in liaison with a US Army tank battalion who often called the M-60 tank's 105mm main gun a 25 pounder.

That is interesting, thanks for that. I quite like "holdouts" of a slightly different kind, i.e. continental street traders who still speak in pre-kilo terms "livres" "pond" etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

why would you talk about it on another site?

A few good men (Site) is pretty much centered on this game, yes there is other things there also, but the majority of activity is CMX2.

So yes there is other locations where discussions are had about the game, but the impact is the same everywhere, seldom is there a present need for much discussion since most everyone understands what they are dealing with and know what to expect.

But anytime there is a newer player, there is questions that they generally ask, but the answers are quick and precise since most on any of the sites can give a good explanation.

So no long discussions as when a game is new and many are putting out concepts instead of facts as to how they think the game plays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Badger73 said:

I think there were holdouts.  I still recall back in the 1970's serving beside an officer from the Royal Tank Regiment in liaison with a US Army tank battalion who often called the M-60 tank's 105mm main gun a 25 pounder.

Then his math might have been off. I think a 105mm should have been called a 32pdr. The 25pdr gun-howitzer had a bore of ~88mm.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Attilaforfun said:

Combat Mission is spoken of pretty highly on the Steam Graviton forums. 

Can confirm this. Much respect and some envy for CM in the English-speaking G-team community (which is largely Steam based). Same applies to the Armored Brigade Steam community -- at least from my limited experience. IDK where this talk of indifference and even hate for CM is coming from.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, Badger73 said:

I think there were holdouts.  I still recall back in the 1970's serving beside an officer from the Royal Tank Regiment in liaison with a US Army tank battalion who often called the M-60 tank's 105mm main gun a 25 pounder.

That's so bizarre, considering the Royal Ordnance L7 (105mm L/52) was designed by the British. I guess the Americans were fairly familiar with the "One-Oh-Five". However, the British tankers were probably used to the QF 20-Pounder (84 mm) designation on the Centurions. Too bad 25% increase in bore diameter doesn't equal 25% increase in projectile mass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

Can confirm this. Much respect and some envy for CM in the English-speaking G-team community (which is largely Steam based). Same applies to the Armored Brigade Steam community -- at least from my limited experience. IDK where this talk of indifference and even hate for CM is coming from.

 

On slightly broader wargaming communities and various articles written about the series. Tim Stone comes to mind.

Usually it goes like this "Positive thing about the game, negative thing about BFC business practices or the pain to get the game running".

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Too bad 25% increase in bore diameter doesn't equal 25% increase in projectile mass.

For most projectiles mass is proportional to the cube of bore diameter. I've used that formula for decades and it's damn near infallible. However...DS kinetic and other sub-caliber rounds are a special case and probably tricky to calculate. For one thing, they are usually manufactured from high density metals which would throw off the usual calculations, but there will be less of the metal, which would tend to compensate. Frankly, I've never even tried to calculate the mass of modern DS rounds.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, danfrodo said:

I mostly take umbridge with being classified as French, as it seems the term must be.  If I were french I would have much cheaper health care & also infinitely less expensive college tuition.  And better pastries.  But no American football or baseball.  So I guess I don't really want to be French after all.  but the pastries...

And then bread, c'est bon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

IDK where this talk of indifference and even hate for CM is coming from.

Yeah, from disgruntled people on places like Game Squad (largely quite for the last few months) and Grogheads.  I find the discussion on Grogheads quite ironic since there is not a log of grog type discussion on Grogheads that I can see. Discussion of GTA, FPS and fantasy games dominates there. Seems that Grogheads survived as an active site by shifting to talk mostly about non war games or just bear and pretzel games that sorta look like a war game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

IDK where this talk of indifference and even hate for CM is coming from.

I spend a lot of time on the Matrix forum and the general mood there is indifference to CM, although every now and then some outright hostility flares up, such as when R2V was announced.  I was rather surprised, especially since much of the criticism was totally off-base IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...