Here is What I Dont Understand about BF?

8 hours ago, scottie said:

I have no need to purchase CMFI, CMFB, CMRT because the offer me the same functionality and options when managing small/medium unit tactics, they look different in terms of environment and units type for sure but its not enough of a unique selling point to make a purchase worthwhile.

Scott

There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing the games this way. I can even relate based on one of the very few non-CM games that I play. For xmas a couple of years ago I got the kids an Xbox. It came with Madden '18 because that was about the only game that held any interest for me. One of my best buds talked me into spending $60 for Madden '19. I was resistant because I didn't see much difference or value. I only did it because when he got his he traded in his '18 so that he could get '19 cheaper and if I didn't get '19 we couldn't play head to head anymore. I noticed almost no difference in the games. He then did it again for Madden '20. This time I didn't get the new one.....we played head to head so little I didn't see the value. BUT there are people chomping at the bit for the changes from '18 to '19 and '19 to '20. I don't play deep enough to feel any need for them myself but some people do. CMx2 games are very similar in that way. For me, there is  a HUGE difference between Shermans fighting around hedgerows and T34s rolling across the Steppes. Or waging war between June and October 1944 and fighting through deep snow in January 1945. Or using all of the cool tankettes in CMFI. They present not just a visual difference in the game but different tactical problems to solve/deal with. But I have no problem understanding that for some people they all come down to the same, tactical level war simulations. And everything else is aesthetics and window dressing. I get it and it's cool. We just appreciate that there is some form of the game that you enjoy. 

2 hours ago, 76mm said:

Please speak for yourself.  The fact is that there are plenty of fanbois on this forum, and they do not encourage candid discussion of the game.  If the fanbois don't like labels perhaps they should stop labeling everyone that voices the slightest criticism as a hater or troll.  I'm happy to hear a wide variety of opinions on this forum.

I am speaking for myself. I'm not an f-b although other people might be happy with the label.

I merely suggested that name calling isn't the best way to begin a post that you want people to read and agree with.

29 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Certainly, supporters will respond, often by repeating things that have been been hashed and rehashed many times before, but they seem to do it in a respectful way.

Yes, but the problem is that many newish posters on the forum were not been around as those issues that were hashed and rehashed many times (often many years ago); sometimes "supporters" respond respectfully but as often as not they respond with an unwarranted degree of exasperation and condescension for bringing such and such topic up again.  

I suspect that if you're seeing less back-and-forth than you expected, it is because people with critical questions or comments just don't post as often.  As you point out, on other forums this board's reputation is that it is not welcoming of critical comments, and I don't think that that reputation was is completely unearned.

While I agree that not very many juvenile morons post on this forum, that is mainly because the games do not appeal much to juvenile morons.

8 hours ago, scottie said:

I have no need to purchase CMFI, CMFB, CMRT because the offer me the same functionality and options when managing small/medium unit tactics,

Not really, CMRT and CMFB have tank riders, a very different and cool tactical treat.I purchase all titles to have the "full Combat Mission experience", each title has a unique feel to it, Do i love game engine changes and new features? yes(love them🙌) and I wait patiently for them, maybe major changes/additions to the CMX2 engine will never come and its run its course, I dont know?someone does though :mellow:

22 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I merely suggested that name calling isn't the best way to begin a post that you want people to read and agree with.

Fair enough,. although as mentioned the fact is that there are plenty of fanbois on this forum, and the poster in question simply noted their existence without labeling anyone as such, so I'm not sure who would have objected, especially to the extent of, for instance, drawing-and-quartering or other medieval tortures.  

50 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:
50 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

This year I have spent more time on the forums than I had for many many many years, as it's now part of my job. 🙂 Frankly, I had expected more calling out of fanbois and haters and trolls. I have found refreshingly far fewer than I had expected.

I'm not super surprised. The forums and non-BFC boards have been declining in activity for years. I think gamesquad is just Nuttername talking to himself at this point. It used to be that you could find pretty in-depth discussion of CM elsewhere but now its maybe happening here, but even then at a reduced rate. Generally when I mention CM elsewhere the reception is a bit of a shoulder-shrug. Although I will say it does seem like CMx2 finally found its multiplayer feet.

37 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

For me, there is  a HUGE difference between Shermans fighting around hedgerows and T34s rolling across the Steppes. Or waging war between June and October 1944 and fighting through deep snow in January 1945. Or using all of the cool tankettes in CMFI. They present not just a visual difference in the game but different tactical problems to solve/deal with. But I have no problem understanding that for some people they all come down to the same, tactical level war simulations.

I do wish BFC would publish more concrete information about what was different between different regions and games. Having been messing with CM for a better part of a decade now it feels like the games themselves aren't actually that different. I recall when CM:BN came out replicating a favorite scenario from CM:BB and once I stopped making a map that felt like Normandy I could have been fighting with lend-lease equipment on the Steppes.

To put it differently. I'm like 99% certain that the modular buildings in CM all share the same attributes. A 2x2 building in Shock Force, Normandy, Fortress Italy, and so on all provide the same attributes just with different textures. I don't have to think that "this is the Middle-East and we've got some mud brick buildings that MMGs won't penetrate" or "That we're in Normandy and those stone houses are going to be better protection than a newer wood frame home".

4 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

Not really, CMRT and CMFB have tank riders, a very different and cool tactical treat.

Combat Mission, bringing you new and inventive ways to get everyone killed!

Edited by Pelican Pal
A joke

So 76mm is not name calling while name calling.  WTF is wrong w you?  complain about BF all you want, but stop acting like you are somehow smarter and more tuned into reality than the rest of us.  Ever write any software?  especially with a small team for a crowd as demanding as this one?  where every little tiny detail is seen -- like german squad should have X smgs and Y rifles in some month of 1944 and BF gets it wrong by one, it starts a whole thread that runs for two weeks.  That's a tough crowd to please.  Having more patience than you does not make me stupid (most other things I do qualify as stupid, in the spirit of full disclosure).   I hear that you are impatient, I am too.  I just don't see why you need to insult everyone who's more patient than you with this idiotic juvenile 'fanbois' slur.  

34 minutes ago, 76mm said:

Fair enough,. although as mentioned the fact is that there are plenty of fanbois on this forum, and the poster in question simply noted their existence without labeling anyone as such, so I'm not sure who would have objected, especially to the extent of, for instance, drawing-and-quartering or other medieval tortures.  

17-pounder, I hope you don't mind if I call you that, as it has a far nicer ring to it. The picture was a joke, and just for the record not even my local Mayor who signed the death warrant wanted Chas Stewart Number One to suffer drawing and quartering, just having his napper taken off.

To be honest I'd never encountered the childishly abusive non-word "fanboi" before I saw it being used in here about the time Final Blitzkrieg was released. 

26 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

I just don't see why you need to insult everyone who's more patient than you with this idiotic juvenile 'fanbois' slur.  

Well, I hadn't named names...  I find it odd, though, that you would equate being "patient" with being a "fanboi".  For the record, I view them as being quite different.  

12 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

17-pounder, I hope you don't mind if I call you that, as it has a far nicer ring to it.

Feel free, although if you do I might not realize that you're referring to me...I have a short memory.  And I always wondered what the heck a 17-pounder was anyway...

I wonder if Honda Motors gets many posters to its website claiming its cars are fundamentally flawed and if they only listened to the poster's instruction they could fix all of their problems. I have friend with that personality type. Years ago he found himself sitting opposite the editor of Consumer Reports magazine, I recall, and proceeded to spend the whole dinner bending the guy's ear on exactly how to 'fix' his magazine. I'm SURE the editor appreciated that.

19 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I wonder if Honda Motors gets many posters to its website claiming its cars are fundamentally flawed and if they only listened to the poster's instruction they could fix all of their problems.

I wonder if Honda would sell many cars if it ignored users comments about what they liked and disliked about its cars, or if only positive comments appeared on its website?

1 minute ago, weapon2010 said:

yes i would love a CM encylopedia within the game, click on a vehicle , weapon or unit and "goto history" would be awsome

Yea, it would be. Like I said earlier I kinda wonder if the research that BF is doing for these games is actually worth it in the sense that it doesn't actually trickle down to the players. You have to have the knowledge beforehand, and by the description of the "research pain" it seems unlikely if any players actually do. Taking the old info from CM:BB or CM:AK would be sufficient. Like if you aren't making the player a stakeholder in your level of detail what is the point of it? I can't easily confirm anything BF is doing is correct, I can't easily figure out what the differences are between June '44 and December '44. That should be a huge selling point, but they don't take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, 76mm said:

Yes, but the problem is that many newish posters on the forum were not been around as those issues that were hashed and rehashed many times (often many years ago); sometimes "supporters" respond respectfully but as often as not they respond with an unwarranted degree of exasperation and condescension for bringing such and such topic up again.  

Yea, I recall Warts 'n All jumping down some dudes throat in a discussion about captured equipment because he made a youtube video he didn't like? SOmething like that, I don't tend to follow Combat Mission's social media scene. And unlike this current thread it was a pretty interesting topic until it got derailed.

2 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

Yea, I recall Warts 'n All jumping down some dudes throat in a discussion about captured equipment because he made a youtube video he didn't like? SOmething like that, I don't tend to follow Combat Mission's social media scene. And unlike this current thread it was a pretty interesting topic until it got derailed.

I don't recall ever jumping down a dude's throat. I'm not that athletic. And if I had done, I'm sure the old bill would have done me for assault.

14 hours ago, 76mm said:

If the fanbois don't like labels perhaps they should stop labeling everyone that voices the slightest criticism as a hater or troll.

I don't think that is an accurate description of what goes on. Plenty of criticisms get voiced—including my on—without the voicer getting labeled as anything but an interested party. The only people I see getting treated as trolls are those who are either wildly emoting or so sloppy that they don't know how to present a reasonable criticism. Some people seem to have very tender egos and expect any idea that they present to be greeted as handed down engraved on stone tablets and become offended if instead that all the mistakes in their own thinking are pointed out to them. That experience is apt to be especially harsh if all those errors are things they should have thought of themselves if they had just been willing to consider the matter from any point of view other than their own.

Michael