Here is What I Dont Understand about BF?

12 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Is that the guy who wrote those long rants on Gamesquad?

Yup. Probably he is a fun guy IRL.

PS: I almost choked on my coffee when I read that John was friends on Facebook with NUTTERNAME. Nice one mate :)

PS2: I bet money that John is also friends with that guy in Grogheads who allegedly had his Steel Beasts usb key "confiscated" by Chinese customs on a business trip.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

I'm a very long term lurker (well, since CMBB) but have quit playing and/or purchasing anything BF releases. It's not hatred, just disappointment with company policy, charging for performance patches, late deliveries, poor communication with the community, and massive amount of gate keeping I see here by people hostile towards anyone who questions company policy. I would love to see things go back to the way they used to be, but unless that happens myself and many others will likely be spending less money. The general attitude towards Battlefront I see these days is similar to mine, not exactly hostile, but not terribly impressed or looking forward to their products anymore. It's not really sustainable, one only has to look at the activity level on this site to see how much smaller their customer base has become. No need to stick your heads in the dirt.

39 minutes ago, Pascucci said:

I'm a very long term lurker (well, since CMBB) but have quit playing and/or purchasing anything BF releases. It's not hatred, just disappointment with company policy, charging for performance patches, late deliveries, poor communication with the community, and massive amount of gate keeping I see here by people hostile towards anyone who questions company policy. I would love to see things go back to the way they used to be, but unless that happens myself and many others will likely be spending less money. The general attitude towards Battlefront I see these days is similar to mine, not exactly hostile, but not terribly impressed or looking forward to their products anymore. It's not really sustainable, one only has to look at the activity level on this site to see how much smaller their customer base has become. No need to stick your heads in the dirt.

I think that you are referring to when many years ago "back in the day" when they used to give away the new modules. That was when it was just Combat Mission before CMBB.  They don't charge for patches, just for the new modules. They can't really afford to give away new modules anymore as they do take time to program and with all the games out there now some players naturally gravitate to different games and some like me come back after being gone for a while.  The amount of posts is not an indication of sales or how popular the game is. It's usually means that there are no problems with the game and no one is complaining. Only a small percentage of people generally post, in some sites you would think the game is dead but there are actually quite a few people playing.  As far as deadlines go it's better to have some people complaining about how late it is than to have everybody complaining on a poor product that came out on time.  

12 hours ago, Pascucci said:

I've been playing Combat Mission equally as long, and I think it's an amazing outfit with wonderful support - I never got so much escapism in my life before. CMSF2 was incredible - a huge leap forward from SF1. R2V sounds fabulous. I'm super impatient - I check the site multiple times a day - but I'm still playing all the other games. None of them have got stale.

Given that Combat Mission is a boutique game produced to a high standard, and that what they've provided is so good, the griping really annoys me.

6 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Given that Combat Mission is a boutique game produced to a high standard, and that what they've provided is so good, the griping really annoys me.

Well said. As a likely accused "Gate Keeper" I am refraining from commenting on the quoted post but yeah it seems to have come from some other reality :)

19 hours ago, Pascucci said:

I'm a very long term lurker (well, since CMBB) but have quit playing and/or purchasing anything BF releases. It's not hatred, just disappointment with company policy, charging for performance patches, 

Welcome back @Pascucci I remember you from a thread in Fortress Italy.  Also some good news for you.  Battlefront does not charge for patches.  Patches are completely FREE!!!  Sorry if someone mislead you or maybe you just mis-remembered.  Also Battlefront has the new all in one installer now that greatly improves downloading and installing a game with multiple modules etc.  The hassle of installing multiple games and modules and packs on a new computer was a valid complaint back in the day.  But as Battlefront continues to be responsive to the community and make improvements they have taken care of that problem.  So when you buy CMFI R2V it should install very easily. :D  :lol:  

late deliveries,  

IMO there is some validity to this point.  I think the reason we are disappointed with late releases is because we like the games so much we can't wait to get our hands on them.  There are probably many reasons for later than anticipated releases of some games, modules & packs.  I like to think one of the main reasons is that Battlefront is trying to get the best product they can out the door.  I am also frustrated with the wait at times and think there is room for improvement here.

poor communication with the community, 

More good news for you on this front.  @BFCElvis is now assisting with communications with the community.  So this has also improved.  He also works the help desk and continues to keep BFC as one of the best product support companies in PC gaming.  In fact there is a thread around here about Elvis providing customer support on his laptop from a hospital room.  Not to mention on holidays.  So while your eating turkey on Thanksgiving Battlefront will be there to support you holiday missions................ :) 

people hostile towards anyone who questions company policy.

No need to stick your heads in the dirt.

I hope you didn't take my reply in anyway as being hostile because it was only meant to be friendly and informative.  And in the interest of being friendly I'll completely ignore when you told me where I should not stick my head :D :lol:.  Now that you are better informed on a few of your concerns I hope you will eagerly follow developments for CMFI R2V.  This is looking to be a really great release with new nationalities, TOE, equipment etc.  It will take the CMFI game from July 1943 to the end of the war.  Very cool game.  I look forward to playing a PBEM with you after the release, my friend.   :)

6 hours ago, Freyberg said:

+1.  Don't be annoyed my friend.  Look on it as an opportunity to point out all the positive aspects of the game.  You are always at an advantage in this regard because the positives out way the negatives by a significant amount. 

52 minutes ago, IanL said:

Well said. As a likely accused "Gate Keeper" I am refraining from commenting on the quoted post :)

+1  Hold my beer .............. :D :lol: :)

Now I have to go eat turkey while @BFCElvis handles the support desk :lol:

Edited by MOS:96B2P

18 hours ago, Commanderski said:

I think that you are referring to when many years ago "back in the day" when they used to give away the new modules. That was when it was just Combat Mission before CMBB.  They don't charge for patches, just for the new modules. They can't really afford to give away new modules anymore as they do take time to program and with all the games out there now some players naturally gravitate to different games and some like me come back after being gone for a while.  The amount of posts is not an indication of sales or how popular the game is. It's usually means that there are no problems with the game and no one is complaining. Only a small percentage of people generally post, in some sites you would think the game is dead but there are actually quite a few people playing.  As far as deadlines go it's better to have some people complaining about how late it is than to have everybody complaining on a poor product that came out on time.  

The amount of posts is absolutely an indication of sales. This game is deep and with the varied modules this board should be screaming with activity. It isn't because the customer base is small. 

The fact that BF is still around when so many gaming companies have gone away in insolvency means they obviously have some clue on how to run a business BUT I believe were the following steps taken their customer base and revenue would skyrocket:

-simple campaign system introduced

-fix auto buy for AI during QBs

-cut prices 50% and sell on Steam w workshop for scenarios

-contract the more talented moders/scenario designers (I'm looking at you GeorgeMC) and start knocking out quality product with the BF logo at a rapid rate and sell cheap

Edited by Attilaforfun

55 minutes ago, Attilaforfun said:

The amount of posts is absolutely an indication of sales.   

Hmmm, not sure this is true.  Why do you think that?  Or more importantly what do you base this on?  Some would argue that if the product was flawed the forum would be very busy with complaints since a "problem" is a motivator to make people post.  

-simple campaign system introduced   

There is a campaign system.  All the titles have multiple campaigns both BF produced and community made campaigns.  Maybe you mean something else? 

This can be improved and I hope it is.  Don't think its broke.  Players, including myself, use it all the time. 

-cut prices 50% and sell on Steam w workshop for scenarios

There are multiple threads on this topic many that ended up locked.  They have said they are not interested in STEAM at this time.  I like STEAM also but their company their reasons.  I just want the next game. :)

-contract the more talented moders/scenario designers (I'm looking at you GeorgeMC) and start knocking out quality product with the BF logo at a rapid rate and sell cheap

Good idea but  already cheap IMO.  I think George does make stock scenarios in addition to his independent releases.  

Now seriously, I have to go eat turkey!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!  :)

Edited by MOS:96B2P

The campaigns are awesome. No doubt. I play them and enjoy them and enjoyed them in CMx1. They are however finite and static. You can learn them. This is not the case in Steel Panthers circa 1994. It wouldn't be the case with RobO's rules hardcoded either. Were a random campaign generator be introduced (I understand AI would have to be completely reworked...that really should be a priority anyway) it would increase the joy of playing these games to me at least and I can't believe I am alone. 

Wow lots of patience there @MOS:96B2P - tip of the hat. I hope the message gets received and my snark doesn't interfere.

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:
6 hours ago, Attilaforfun said:

This can be improved and I hope it is.  Don't think its broke.  Players, including myself, use it all the time. 

The quality of AI auto picking varies from title to title. We testers need to log more bugs in this area.

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

There are multiple threads on this topic many that ended up locked.  They have said they are not interested in STEAM at this time.  I like STEAM also but their company their reasons. 

To be fair the threads didn't get locked because they talked about Steam. They go locked because people got upset and got personal about it when they heard "no". Just to be clear you can bring up Steam all you want as long as the discussion stays a discussion.

For reference here is Steve's official word on Steam:

And here is the way these discussions usually go:

If we start down that path I hope this goes differently but the thread will not include me (I really really hope:-). 

Edited by IanL

9 hours ago, Attilaforfun said:

a random campaign generator be introduced (I understand AI would have to be completely reworked...that really should be a priority anyway) 

Now I understand.  You are wanting a random campaign generator.  Sounds like a cool idea.  I also hope it is on Battlefront's list. 

58 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Now I understand.  You are wanting a random campaign generator.  Sounds like a cool idea.  I also hope it is on Battlefront's list. 

Maybe, but I doubt it is a priority.  I am not sure folks realize just how difficult that is.  The QBs are the best they can do just creating scenarios.  While good they are not on the level of a user created scenario.  Campaigns are an order of magnitude harder.  The tools are there for folks to create them, expecting a random generator just isn't likely in the cards.  The game doesn't even do auto maps, the QBs are all Mark's work.