CAAR - CMFI Rome To Victory Beta - The Kirpan & the Rhino

30 minutes ago, Holien said:

Hmmm I guess my reverse slope defence (aka second line of buildings) comment needs further clarification...

I mean that the majority of your infantry want to have started and set up defence in position where they could not be hit unless the enemy close into 1st line of buildings. You deny the enemy of supporting fire from distance and set your heavy fire power to hit those 1st line buildings. In effect a reverse slope defence but in towns or villages.

Yes you need a bit of observation but to do that you choose less obvious positions that are not so threatening but still offer observation of the wood line. Anyway I'm am sure the dead pixel trupppen mother's and father's will count it as not significant... 🙄

120mm is lethal and if you can get it on target it can be a game winner... Good you still have some to hit him with...

3/4 of my force is not in the first line of buildings. :P

29 minutes ago, Holien said:

As for the 88 target armour arc's can be double edge sword, I tend to set them as far as possible on map even if you have no los.

The 88 in particular can nail things at massive range which is what you want, so never set it short imo....

Looking forward to seeing it in action, nice big bang's and explosion when (if) it hits...

I agree. I thought I had set it farther, but I must have misclicked and not noticed. 

You wont be disappointed with the result, however. ;)

8 hours ago, Holien said:

Good job with the 88mm I usually work on the basis that if each AT gun can nail a couple of tanks they will have done well...

Currently you are up on the deal...

Yes, but by my calculus, I want each Pantherturm and 88 to take care of 4 enemy tanks. I want my limited armour free to deal with the  hordes of enemy infantry. 

6 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Starting to look, from what I have seen so far, that Ian has not done  good enough dismounted recon for this fight.  Well done so far Bud.

Bil

Thanks, Bil. I would like to hope that I am the cause of that with my defence plans. ;)

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That was scarily close!  ;)

Indeed. Especially because my 88 crew is veteran with very good morale. They were enjoying their Sulima’s a bit too much this morning... :huh:

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wondering if Ian's Sherman ever saw the 88? 

If it did I suspect that position will start to attract spotting rounds rather soon.  :unsure:

I assume that it did not. But the bloody crew is running toward me like a bunch of raving lunatics! :blink:

Given nothing happened to interfere with the Pantherturm that destroyed his 105 Sherman, I’m hoping/guessing that the precise origin of the shot is still unknown to him. The LOS is actually very tricky there, so he probably had no eyes beyond the Sherman crew on the shooter. My hope is that happened again with the flak 88. If it did, I’ve caused another delay and may get another kill too.

We’ll see... 

1 hour ago, Holien said:

If you obtain a 4 to 1 kill rate you will be well on to way for a win.

Indeed, although I think that is unlikely. Ian had a few minor stumbles but he has plenty of time left (about 45 Min) to use his otherwise overwhelming power to clobber me.

I hoped the heavy mortar barrage (120mm mortars are equivalent to 150mm howitzers) would disable some of his armour but that doesn’t seem to have happened. And I don’t see what happened to his infantry, though if it was walking around in the woods they hopefully were savaged. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, Bud Backer said:

Boy it’s unusually quiet in here. I must be doing something wrong. 

It's much easier, and far more fun to read these when each panel of the comic is not separated from each other by ten comments about how great everything is.

Just take it as read that dead silence means we are enjoying the proceedings enough to not disturb the pacing and tension of the story.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:51 AM, Bud Backer said:

I’ll add that it is amazing how good the field of view is from atop the HQ building, allowing me to direct artillery in distant spots one would not expect.

Remember:

The tallest building on the map is a great observation point, but your enemy is fully aware of that fact as well.