CAAR - CMFI Rome To Victory Beta - The Kirpan & the Rhino

2 hours ago, weta_nz said:

Smoking bunkers - is this a new thing or have they always done this?

I’ve not used bunkers often, but between my limited usage and the AARs and discussions here on the forum I don’t recall ever seeing them burn, no. And often the complaint was they are notoriously difficult to destroy. This one took 4-5 hits to knock out, to my surprise.

45 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

I’ve not used bunkers often, but between my limited usage and the AARs and discussions here on the forum I don’t recall ever seeing them burn, no. And often the complaint was they are notoriously difficult to destroy. This one took 4-5 hits to knock out, to my surprise.

They'll burn if the ammo inside goes off - which because of their durability is rare. In that regard they're no different than any other 'vehicle.' Keep 'em coming, Bud!

On 9/10/2019 at 8:24 AM, Rinaldi said:

They'll burn if the ammo inside goes off - which because of their durability is rare. In that regard they're no different than any other 'vehicle.' Keep 'em coming, Bud!

On 9/10/2019 at 6:56 PM, weta_nz said:

Always learning new things. Keep up the good work Bud

Thanks guys! More coming up. These panels take time to arrange, and I need to give you a non-comic sitrep too. Just finished the latter.  But first...

Edited by Bud Backer

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The tension rises.  ;)

And for good reason! That long distance MG fire is worrisome. How long before he gets tired and uses those 105s? I’ll have to make some adjustments, based on the turn I just got from Ian. He's a cagey bugger...

And I do mean that kindly. 😛

Edited by Bud Backer

41 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I was about to use words to that effect. He's a very cautious and meticulous player. We played a game of the Market Garden Devil's Hill scenario a few years back and it took a while to find stumble upon his troops. 

Ian and I have at least one battle going on pretty much year round. He’s definitely taught me a lot more than I him. He is indeed meticulous and a dangerous opponent. 

It’s time to see what is up with a few things. I am quite concerned as I see more and more vehicles on the south bank of the river, facing the village. Quite a few armoured vehicles. My move of the StuG was the right one, and possibly in the nick of time. And delay might have left it very exposed as it approached. Furthermore, the increasingly heavy fire directed on those houses is going to make me have to pull men out of them so I don’t take casualties at a point where they cannot return the favour.

I’ve made three maps to show the situation.

Edited by Bud Backer

For starters, I mentioned that the StuG leaving town was going on a one-way trip. Let’s have a look at that and why I called it that.

As you can see in the picture below, the road meanders over the ridge and down to the bridge. But, the road is in fact invisible to where the allies are firing from in the woods until it flattens out near the bridge. This is quite useful and may be a way to get some serious fire on the allied tanks as they advance toward the village. The view below gives an idea of how little of the road really is exposed.

Why is it a one way trip? Because it is possible the enemy may maneuver around the tank traps and minefield to try to get control of the ridgeline. That may make it impossible to move forward or back with the StuG, depending on how far the allies come west toward town. 

As mentioned earlier, the Pantherturm and the flak 88 both can sweep the ridgeline quite far toward the fords so this may or may not protect the StuG. I don’t like depending on either as they will have a lot to deal with without having to take care of the assault gun.

kVm8fAIhs-eS_MxGPadWr5GMuOS8XtQyCwx-eQoV

The close up and zoomed shots of the CAAR sometimes don’t make situations as clear as a good overhead shot. Here you can see the route of the StuG, the burning bunker and the enemy armour in the woods. Also, my split Fallschirmjäger squad on the far side of the ridge, watching intently for the first allied units to appear. We are 8 minutes in and I think what I have and where it is is not really evident to my opponent. I’m counting on the element of surprise to give me an edge.

gem1Fkav7WX4NN1shdFaqpEtcLMQkcV63C3EMHwP

But that is not enough, so....

Edited by Bud Backer

Artillery could be helpful in evening the odds. I have three artillery missions plotted. The first to land will be 120mm mortars 2 minutes from now, hopefully hurting my tormentors at the wood line.

The second to land will be 81mm mortars in 5 minutes at the crest of the ridge, where the allies are approaching after crossing the ford. I suspect he will be sending some infantry there to observe my defences, and I want that to be painfully gained knowledge.

The last to land is a 4 howitzer 105mm battery that will hit the woods near the hamlet in 6 minutes. I may have to adjust that one as it may be too early. 

The artillery may force him to advance imprudently toward the village and into the StuG, Pantherturm and 88’s arcs of fire.

I’ll add that it is amazing how good the field of view is from atop the HQ building, allowing me to direct artillery in distant spots one would not expect. 

FhfkpnZEiQ3l7z8BOCuCQtdBGiONUpjerR_8L5uk

Edited by Bud Backer