Kampfgruppe Peiper: To the Meuse! AAR

04128807695b0f781924ed6abde931af.jpg

To the Meuse!

After weeks of heavy fighting, the state of the Kampfgruppe is dire. Infantry companies are at half strength, and the panthers are suffering from a lack of repair. The retaking of Stavelot proved to be a costly affair. American resistance has greatly strengthened since the start of the operation. Their men fight to the last, with new equipment that evens out the playing field. The time is now. The Kampfgruppe must break through to the Meuse now -- or lose the opportunity forever!

The Kampfgruppe lacks the strength for another frontal assault. The plan is to seize the hill on the right flank, and advance through the wooded valley. As the first part of the Kampfgruppe arrives, the Panthers take the hills -- as the infantry probes American defenses in the area.

DJHl7ZV.jpg

The Americans have dug-in their infantry in the wooded areas. These dogged defenders are ready to delay my breakthrough, as they call in their heavy artillery. They are eager to engage, despite the overwatching panthers.

4STBFm3.jpg

Time is of the essence, and the mixed elements cannot afford to be zeroed in by American batteries on stand by. They must push forward, and break through the wooded areas. Luckily the Panthers managed to neutralize all of the apartment cannons at the northern objective.

pdKfYyY.jpg 

Despite being on the receiving end of fire superiority, the American defenders hold their ground and attempt to suppress and delay the advance. The foxholes in the woods provide heavy cover, as well as concealment for their infantry.

xinGw5z.jpg

There is little time to methodically clear the wooded areas. American heavy artillery has already obliterated the hill. The maneuver must continue to step one step ahead of the artillery. The panthers break through the clearings, and begin to engage the northern town's defenders.

dw7IrBI.jpg

i1pS2S5.jpg

As one troop suppresses the defenders. Another troop makes their way from the right flank, and up the valley, towards the town. Once they have coverage of all buildings and foxholes, the halftracks and infantry will follow. So far, the assault is going according to plan. The infantry has sustained light casualties, and the Americans were expecting a frontal assault along the highway.

s7Zo3ys.jpg

BOOM!

The troop command tank bursts in flame, as a solid slug smashes through its mantlet. There are no survivors. The rest of the troop quickly hurry to return fire at the hidden American tank destroyer.

wHsBvEW.jpg

A high velocity armour piercing round goes straight through the 90mm tank destroyer's hull, and hits the ground behind it. The american crew bails out. It is tragic to lose a panther HQ to this tin can.

sJOhVAo.jpg

As the infantry catches up with the Panther troops, they encounter fanatical American resistance. Unlike previous battles, there are no surrenders. After the slaughter of POWs and Belgian civilians, by the Kampfgruppe -- they expect no quarter and give none. Yet, they are overwhelmed by superior numbers and firepower.

Url5PdN.jpg

The infantry catches up, and the the Kampfgruppe closes the distance. So far, the assault is going according to schedule. All the heavy elements in the northern part of the town have been cleared. The objective is within firing range. The next phase of the operation will be to exploit this flank and secure the exit. The final objective is to attack the center of the town, no doubt the American's strongest position, from the rear.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Is this the final mission in the campaign? It looks completely different than the one I'm playing. Maybe because you're on a different storyline branch?

Yes, "To the Muese" is the final mission in the campaign. Sadly being rubbish I've never managed to get this far.

Ah, there are a couple of videos from this battle on YT, and the screenshots look familiar to me. According to the campaign tree there are four different versions of "To the Meuse" but, I always thought battle variations only affected things like, opposition preparedness, force composition, reinforcements etc

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Given that we have already established the fact that it has been scripted in four different ways, what have you added to our knowledge? 

Exits stage right with Burning Spear's "Christopher Columbus" blaring from the speakers.   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

18 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Ah, there are a couple of videos from this battle on YT, and the screenshots look familiar to me. According to the campaign tree there are four different versions of "To the Meuse" but, I always thought battle variations only affected things like, opposition preparedness, force composition, reinforcements etc

It seems there are very different versions of it. The scenario in this thread is very open terrain. The one I just played yesterday had the Germans attack through three defensive lines down a very narrow road, very tightly hemmed in by heavy forest and a river.

14 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Given that we have already established the fact that it has been scripted in four different ways, what have you added to our knowledge? 

TBH it's quite hard to ascertain what the level of your knowledge actually is.

22 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I always thought battle variations only affected things like, opposition preparedness, force composition, reinforcements etc

Because this doesn't display any comprehension of the system at all.  :rolleyes:

I'd need to decompile it and look, which could take a while.  ;)

However that doesn't change the fact that this comment:

22 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

To which I initially responded, is drivel.  :mellow:

Too much of Elizabeth's fine ale?  This early in the day? :o

@Bulletpoint Ignoring the snide unhelpful comments above. The four different versions of "To the Meuse" are numbered 15, 16, 17, and 18 on the scenario listing. Which of those you will fight depends on your progress through the campaign. Numbers 15 and 16 take place on the closely confined map that you have described with the three defence lines. Whilst numbers 17 and 18 take place on the more open map shown in the OP's screenshots. Happy gaming.

2 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

@Bulletpoint Ignoring the snide unhelpful comments above. The four different versions of "To the Meuse" are numbered 15, 16, 17, and 18 on the scenario listing. Which of those you will fight depends on your progress through the campaign. Numbers 15 and 16 take place on the closely confined map that you have described with the three defence lines. Whilst numbers 17 and 18 take place on the more open map shown in the OP's screenshots. Happy gaming.

Thank you. Do you know which decisions or outcomes lead to the various versions? Just in case I re-play the campaign a third time.

Edited by Bulletpoint

5 minutes ago, IanL said:

The graph for the campaign is a bit hard to read but 15, 16, 17 and 18 seem to come on very different paths. 

http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com/FinalBlitzkrieg/Campaigns/Kampfgruppe Peiper.html

Thanks Ian, I've seen his flowchart before. However it doesn't show what the different versions of the battles are. It's two different scenarios, but called the same...

Edit: Hmmm now that I look at it again, I notice that two of the scenarios are called "To the Meuse" and two of them are called "To the Meuse!" with an exclamation mark.

Edited by Bulletpoint

29 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Ignoring the snide unhelpful comments above.

We seem to be at a bit of a misunderstanding here, I was genuinely unsure of whether you understood the campaign structure.....There is no requirement to limit the variations between scenarios to:

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I always thought battle variations only affected things like, opposition preparedness, force composition, reinforcements etc

Are the scenarios available individually at all.....I'm guessing not, so it probably does come down to someone decompiling the campaign and looking.

PS - That isn't going to be me right now as the PC I'm using is fit for browsing only.....Its replacement, that I just spent three and a half grand on, is sitting, in boxes, on a pallet, in my living room and has to stay there for at least another 48hrs or so, which really isn't doing my mood very much good TBH.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

However it doesn't show what the different versions of the battles are. It's two different scenarios, but called the same..

Actually each node on that graph is a different scenario regardless of the name similarities or not. So "[CB #15] To the Meuse", is different from "[CB #16] To the Meuse", which is different than "[CB #17] To the Meuse" and different to "[CB #18] To the Meuse!". All four of those similarly named scenarios are different. Given their similar names I suspect the author has just tweaked things slightly but the fact remains those are four different scenarios no four instances of the same scenario.

Of course having said that it is possible that they are just copies of each other but I would be surprised by that; however it is up to the designer.

1 hour ago, IanL said:
5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

However it doesn't show what the different versions of the battles are. It's two different scenarios, but called the same..

Actually each node on that graph is a different scenario regardless of the name similarities or not. So "[CB #15] To the Meuse", is different from "[CB #16] To the Meuse", which is different than "[CB #17] To the Meuse" and different to "[CB #18] To the Meuse!". All four of those similarly named scenarios are different. Given their similar names I suspect the author has just tweaked things slightly but the fact remains those are four different scenarios no four instances of the same scenario.

I know, but just from looking at that flow chart, I don't get any info about which version does what. That's all I meant.

It can be complicated. Especially as different victory levels can effect the route you take  But just as an example, I think the perfect route would look like this.

Mission 00  --- Mission 01  --- Mission 06  ---  Mission 10  ---  Mission 14  ---  Mission 18

Although in the words of many a football manager, "We'll just take each match as it comes, and at the end of the day it's only a game."