The state of CM Helper (or its replacement)?

I've been away from CM PBEM for a while, but I'm planning to carve out time to get back into it.

I used to really benefit from CM Helper with Dropbox.  Is that still the standard tool for PBEM play?

Where is the latest version found?  Or has it been succeeded by another tool?

Thanks!

Check with @IanL to be certain but I think they are.  Each one manages a CM game's *.ema file on the individual players local machines which in turn upload to or download from dropbox where the applications process specific turns.  If I recall correctly, player chat/Instant Messaging is the only function available in CMHelper missing from WTIT .

Edited by Badger73

6 hours ago, Holman said:

Thanks!

Are CM Helper and Whose Turn Is it? cross-compatible, or do both players need to be on the same tool?

Yes, I play against several people using CMH. Since both programs copy files to and from Dropbox there is no conflict if opponents are using different programs.

I have a new version coming that will also support chatting with CMH. 

16 hours ago, IanL said:

Yes, I play against several people using CMH. Since both programs copy files to and from Dropbox there is no conflict if opponents are using different programs.

I have a new version coming that will also support chatting with CMH. 

Feature request!

Could the chat be made in such a way it only needs a .txt file in the Dropbox folder? So opponent even without the program could use the chat "manually"?

38 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Feature request!

Could the chat be made in such a way it only needs a .txt file in the Dropbox folder? So opponent even without the program could use the chat "manually"?

That is exactly how I implemented it. If the CMH file is there it will use that but if not it will default to a simple text file. I have another friend who does not use any helper tool and we chat using that text file.

Question about compatibility between the two programs:

Whose Turn Is It? defaults to a dual-folder structure (giving each game a Dropbox folder with "For Player A" and "For Player B" folders inside of it). 

CmHelper uses a single folder for each game.

Seems to me that this will be a problem if the players are using different programs.  How does it work?

• 11 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 10:04 AM, IanL said:

No, I do not. Too many irons in the fire and I am not planning to get back to finalizing it for a while. In the mean time feel free to use the existing version. It works great.

Have you considered open-sourcing it? I might have time to lend a hand.

• 1 year later...

any update on this?  I would be happy to test a mac version.. I can't seem to get Shock Force 2 or Cold war to be listed as games, I'm sure there is a way to do this, but can't seem to figure it out.  I browser to the .app and it just doesn't work and the path seems to double up the Shock Force 2.  You edit this and it still doesn't work.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:22 AM, hm_stanley said:

any update on this? 

Actually I'm a little frustrated at the moment. I have things running again in a development environment. That made me happy. Then I finished the official build and packaging and tried to test it on a clean machine. It just will not run. I cannot even see what the problem is. I have an open question with some Mac experts on what I should be doing. Honestly I was hoping to contact some people today who had previously offered to test but there is no point yet if the packaged app doesn't run.

Sigh. The story of development.

It's working great for me Ian, as said, no issues running this build and I've had it up for two days straight.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:16 AM, IanL said:

Actually I'm a little frustrated at the moment. I have things running again in a development environment. That made me happy. Then I finished the official build and packaging and tried to test it on a clean machine. It just will not run. I cannot even see what the problem is. I have an open question with some Mac experts on what I should be doing. Honestly I was hoping to contact some people today who had previously offered to test but there is no point yet if the packaged app doesn't run.

Sigh. The story of development.

• 8 months later...

@IanL Thought I'd give this a go - PC version. 

Looks good, but I had quite a few issues with it.  I can PM the details if you like, but it led me to uninstalling it a few hours later, except it seems I can't fully uninstall it.  And oddly my laptop has totally frozen a couple of times since, but that might be a coincidence.