Do I need to buy the game again?

Hey all,
I bought Combat Mission Battle for Normandy several years ago. I've got a hankering to play it again, but I believe I only had five activations. I rebuild my comps a lot, and I believe I went through all five--although not 100% positive. It's been at least 5-7 years since I opened the metal tin it came in. Will I need to buy the game again or will I need to plop down another 60 bucks for it? If it's the the latter, I may just move on and forget about it. I don't really believe in limited activations once I've spent money on a game. Thanks.

If you have Windows 10, then the 1.x versions of CMBN will NOT work. The copy-protection system for that version does not work with Windows 10. If you upgrade to 2.0, 3.0 or 4.0, then it should work. The CMBN 3 + 4 Upgrade Bundle for $15 should get you running (you don't need to purchase the 2.0 Upgrade, which is no longer available).

As for activations, the game typically comes with 4 per license key. If you run out, simply contacting the Helpdesk and providing your license key should allow them to add an activation at no cost (though, again, the 1.x versions will not run on Windows 10).

Thanks for the replies. I tried installing it today and it just didn't do anything. Based on what you said, that makes sense. If I buy the upgrade bundle, do I install it from disc, and then install the bundle on top of it? If so, do I still need the disc to play as I only have an external blu-ray/burner only when I need it, and it's really flaky. 

With that said, I've really been eyeing Final Blitzkrieg. If I were to purchase that, does it come with a PDF manual or is it actually 8 extra dollars for it? Also, what can I expect as far as copy-right? Is it still 4 activations? As I said originally, I re-install Windows a lot and/or upgrade my computer, which requires a reinstall. How much of a hassle is it to contact support for additional activations. Sorry for all the questions, but it's been a LONG time since I've dealt with anything other than Steam or other related game services. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Shardz said:

Thanks for the replies. I tried installing it today and it just didn't do anything. Based on what you said, that makes sense. If I buy the upgrade bundle, do I install it from disc, and then install the bundle on top of it? If so, do I still need the disc to play as I only have an external blu-ray/burner only when I need it, and it's really flaky. 

No. No need for disks anymore if you don't want and you do *not* need to got through the trouble of installing from v1. Starting with the v3 upgrade each game got all in one installers that you can dl that have everything in one install. Once you make your purchase make sure you dl the installer for the OS you need and with the word "FULL" in the name. That will allow you to install one thing and then activate the content you purchased.

With that said, I've really been eyeing Final Blitzkrieg. If I were to purchase that, does it come with a PDF manual or is it actually 8 extra dollars for it?

PDF files come with the games.

Also, what can I expect as far as copy-right? Is it still 4 activations? As I said originally, I re-install Windows a lot and/or upgrade my computer, which requires a reinstall. How much of a hassle is it to contact support for additional activations. Sorry for all the questions, but it's been a LONG time since I've dealt with anything other than Steam or other related game services. Thanks.

Yes, you get some number of activations. If you run out then you will have to contact support to get more. So, far I have never heard of anyone being refused. They want their customers to be playing the game.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Yes, you get some number of activations. If you run out then you will have to contact support to get more. So, far I have never heard of anyone being refused. They want their customers to be playing the game.

Thanks much! I purchased the engine 3 and 4 updates and they came with the full installs, which is nice. So, I uninstalled the original 1.xx disc version and installed 4 FULL. Now it works like a charm. I read somewhere that you can unlicense a game and not use up your licenses if you're wiping your machine. Reading up on that now. :) Thanks for all the help.

Does that mean there are only four activations and then we have to call again? It will probably be a year or two before I even use up my second license. Though, I really wanted to put this on my new laptop as well. I don't want to burn through them right away. At any rate, it's nice to be playing these games again. I re-purchased the first three games Battlefront made from GOG and they also work great. Good thing I kept those manuals. There's something about printed manuals I really enjoy. :)

Edited by Shardz