Fortress Italy, war in 3D

I acquired Fortress Italy and I share with you my first impression.

Maniac CMBN player, it's almost with disdain that I watched this battlefront game on the forgotten front.

It was on the enthusiastic advice of some and the next arrival of the module containing exotic troops like the French of the General Juin that I decided to make the purchase.

I used to fighting in hedgerow, trained to face the panzer with thick skin and fanatical troops of the Waffen SS, it's confident that I engaged my Gi and Tommy face Italian troops under equipped and their ridiculous R35 and Semovente

My research on strategy and tactics led me to read Zun Tsu, Carl Guderian, von Clausewitz and Bil Hardenberger whose entire work was read and re-read and all of whose tutti were played and replayed until keyboard wear.

So it's very confident that I started the game

I, who, a few days ago, contemplated with a knowing smile, the bust of the Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, imagining me as a digital alter ego, the return to reality was violent ... especially for my pixeltruppen.

It's painful that I learn the war in 3D

The pronounced relief, long and complicated LOS and LOF loses all my knowledge and my certainties

I, who thought I had learned a tactical logic, discovered with bitterness that I was just replicating reaction routines with relatively identical patterns,

In the hedges, the game consists of solving a succession of tactical problems one after the other, each problem generally corresponding to the field facing your troop so having a limited resolution key number.

With the opening of the LOS and LOF and the relief, the number of combination increases enormously.

The, the serious things really start

It's exciting and totally new, which does not spoil anything I find the game rather successful visually

W italia

190718103453125402.jpg

What CMFI illustrates is you're playing against the terrain as much as the enemy. The first time finding yourself in a scenario with big bare hills (or even mountains) can be unnerving. No mountains in Normandy! Or in Russia for that matter, or in Ukraine. I can't recall how impressive the hills got in CMSF2, just a couple significantly hilly maps, I recall.

Re hilly terrain, some CMSF scenarios have incredibly craggy, hostile terrain - elsewhere I mentioned "A Helluva Opening" and "UK A Helluva Takeover" which have outstanding maps that feature some of the most inhospitable terrain ever seen in a CM2 game.  Hope designers use it for scenarios for other titles like CMFI.  eg: a North Africa mod version.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, Falaise said:

the ancients of Italy, whom I met, spoke little of it. in France also their fights are forgotten

Yep, there is a reason for the song „D-Day Dodgers“ (https://www.google.ch/search?q=d-day+dodgers+lyrics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=de-ch&client=safari#sbfbu=1&pi=d-day dodgers lyrics)

BTW, I have it as intro music to CMFI. Fits perfectly and sets the right mood!

I just played Temple to Mars in CMFI, attacking up Monte Cassino in a snowstorm.  I was having a very hard time about halfway in.  So I decided to 'pull back'  and regroup -- I went to scenario editor and gave myself more artillery, re-started and got revenge.  Was cheating but felt pretty good actually :)

If you play that one, be sure to use to make your artillery & mortars count.  Germans are dug in so doing wide area shelling useless.  Have to get observation and hit them with precision. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, Falaise said:

My research on strategy and tactics led me to read Zun Tsu, Carl Guderian, von Clausewitz and Bil Hardenberger whose entire work was read and re-read and all of whose tutti were played and replayed until keyboard wear.

Not sure I belong in the company of those illustrious fellows... but I do appreciate that my blog was helpful to you.

Bil 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 9:59 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Not sure I belong in the company of those illustrious fellows... but I do appreciate that my blog was helpful to you.

Bil 

there was of course a touch of humor in my remarks
however reading your blog is for me part of the pleasure of the CM2 experience
and I can only very strongly recomend reading for all new players like former
thank you
I start only to gently taming the game, but a lot of pixeltruppen pays for this learning