Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

Thanks for all the kind words. Glad you enjoy it.

36 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

@Aquila-CMI don't understand what you mean here - could you explain?

Basically a summary of what was already stated here. Place stuff like invisible wrecks and likely walls into flavor objects to make them protect from gunfire, LOS, and impede movement.

46 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

@RepsolCBRIf you are going to play around with walls, could you perhaps do me a favour and see if the alternate numbering that works with buildings works with walls too?

Buildings have alternates eg buildingXXX front (00).bmp    buildingXXX front (01).bmp    are two alternate facades which you click on in the scenario editor. 

I wondered if this actually would work with walls so we could get more choices of texture, but I haven't got round to it. Been rather busy with RL, unfortunately.

Anyway, it would be quite useful to know if you have a moment while you are modding with walls.

I wish i could mess around with this stuff right now. But i'm affraid i can't currently...

My old gaming computer gave up...ooh i guess it is almost two yeras ago now. I have been meaning to buy me a new one ever since but RL things has gotten in the way 😢

Primarely some major renovations/add-ons to my house has soked up all my free cash these years. The house is currently sorted though and i have finally been able to start saving some money for my new machine. I will need quite alot though since i'm aming for a top of the line machine that will alowe me to play DCS in high resolution VR...And CM offcourse 😃..

As for timeframe...I'm currently aming for a NICE ! christmas present to myself...

It's been a long wait ! i miss playing CM very much and it will be nice to get back into it in a not to distant future...

Hi Repsol,

I'm sorry to hear of RL messing up your gaming. I appreciate wanting a good rig, however CM works acceptably on quite low-spec computers. I have found that if you are flexible you can scrounge or find on eBay stuff pretty cheaply. I got a 19" monitor for my laptop for GBP6 on eBay - nobody wanted it because it said "collect only." When I realised he was very near me, I offered him the money and he accepted as long as I could get right over to take it. I scooted over there, and he was a helpful, nice guy.  He was moving house and did not have space for an excellent piece of surplus kit - Samsung.  That way you could be gaming while you work on the custom mega PC you plan. Cheers, Julian

30 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Hi Repsol,

I'm sorry to hear of RL messing up your gaming. I appreciate wanting a good rig, however CM works acceptably on quite low-spec computers. I have found that if you are flexible you can scrounge or find on eBay stuff pretty cheaply. I got a 19" monitor for my laptop for GBP6 on eBay - nobody wanted it because it said "collect only." When I realised he was very near me, I offered him the money and he accepted as long as I could get right over to take it. I scooted over there, and he was a helpful, nice guy.  He was moving house and did not have space for an excellent piece of surplus kit - Samsung.  That way you could be gaming while you work on the custom mega PC you plan. Cheers, Julian

Yepp ! I have been tempted to buy a decent computer many times during these years to be able to play CM and some other less demanding stuff...

But now...i think i will stick with my 'plan' 😎...

And take the frustration with waiting a while longer...During summer i usually don't play that much anyway...Christmas is not that far away...

And it undoubtedly makes waiting for the upcomming modules easier. 😉

A number of intresting things are developing within the CM comunity currently...not least 'the future' for modding 😁...

Looking forward to rxperience it soooooon....ish.

25 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1 :o  :)   You are cranking these out faster than I can download them and place them in scenarios!!!!!  :D  :lol:  

Depending on model and practice some can be converted in a couple of minutes.

Ironically it was what seemed to be the easiest job that gave me the biggest headache - the CMA Kamaz ZSU which ends up with its gun shooting backwards when being model swapped for the Pickup ZSU.

1) What the finished model has to look like in the 3D editor

P0mLvRr.jpg

2) Sekrit Formula?

3) What appears ingame

sxIGsbG.jpg

Edited by Aquila-CM

@Sequoia This quite possibly could be the answer to the Muj question? Hey @Aquila_CM, can you figure a way to swap CMA Muj models for Combatants in SF2? Or better yet import a better model than was in CMA? Is it even possible to import completely different soldier models (theoretically at least?)?

And all you players/scenario designers, I advise you to keep a copy of your 2.02 - 4.02 installers in a safe place because I guarantee that if BF shut down hex editing they are gonna come down even harder on this.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

13 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

When did they do this?

A long time ago. I always assumed they did it to stop people from swapping models between games. They completely changed the code in the files so that they don't point anywhere that can be found in the hex editor, at least with soldier models. You use to be able to trick the code by renaming a soldier model. EX: Syrian Soldier to Zyrian Soldier and then renaming bmps to Zyrian etc. You can't do it anymore. There is no "Syrian Soldier" etc. All Syrian military are under one file name. So if you change it they ALL change.

Mord.

Yes, I know. But I don't think, that they did it intentionally to stop hexediting.

I think, that it is far more comfortable to map a texture to a model in the programm code instead of in the files directly. This make you more flexibel in the usage of the models.

And so the hexediting vanishes as side effect.

(this is my theory)

1 minute ago, waffelmann said:

(this is my theory)

Ah, yeah as good as any. But I'd err on the side of caution just in case. Either way it killed some tricks that worked well.

I would love to see some Muj models in the game and it seems now that this new style is our only chance if it's even possible. I'd really like to see brand new models as the CMA ones were REALLY subpar even back then.

Mord.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

@Sequoia This quite possibly could be the answer to the Muj question? Hey @Aquila_CM, can you figure a way to swap CMA Muj models for Combatants in SF2? Or better yet import a better model than was in CMA? Is it even possible to import completely different soldier models (theoretically at least?)?

They likely could be brought into CMSF2 like I did with MikeyD African Mod Pack Uncon by using the original CMSF1/CMA .mds (Skeleton) files which then utilize the original textures layout again. However there is something strange about .bmp naming conventions.

MDR files are responsible for which .bmp files get accessed. For example if you model swap a Kamaz truck for an Ural Truck you need to rename the kamaztruck.mdr to uraltruck.mdr and place it in your z folder. The kamaz bmp textures you also place in your z folder but don´t need to be renamed as the new .mdr acesses them by their original name.

MDS files on the other hand don´t seem to use textures by the old name. Its complicate to describe if one didn´t try it for himself. Basically you need to rename the CMA .mds and the CMA bmp textures to the new CMSF2 naming standards and watch out for many things like additional files and they could somehow work. Better I suggest to check out the African Forces Mod and inspect the UNCON folder to get an idea of what I mean. The content of this folder should answer questions better.

But all of this aside don´t we already have a proper mod in place for this with Zveroboy´s Taliban mod? I know there is a significant difference between Muj and Taliban but didn´t pay attention if wether the differences between CMA and the mod are significant enough or not.

53 minutes ago, Rastamon said:

Amazing!  Although the dropbox link isn't working..showing too many requests.

I didn´t know that this is a thing. If more than 20GB are downloaded in 24h Dropbox shuts the link down and hands out a 24h penalty. If it happens again the penalty will be prolonged next time. 😂

I will bring the link up again tomorrow however I want to ask everyone here to help with distributing the already downloaded mods and models to ease the load and to ensure that everyone can get their hands on. 

Edited by Aquila-CM

4 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

Its complicate to describe if one didn´t try it for himself.

Yeah, I get it, though I can't describe it real well myself but I spent many hours dicking with it so I pretty much understand what you are saying.

5 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

Better I suggest to check out the African Forces Mod and inspect the UNCON folder to get an idea of what I mean.

Yeah, but nothing was ever changed in the files it was just a reskin of the original models. It could be redone with the new SF2 models though it'd be different.

8 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

But all of this aside don´t we already have a proper mod in place for this with Zveroboy´s Taliban mod? I know there is a significant difference between Muj and Taliban but didn´t pay attention to the differences between CMA and the mod.

It's a gallant effort but they still aren't proper Muj models. No way to create the head wrap, beards etc. Oh, well it is what it is. I thought we might have finally found a solution to the conundrum.

Mord.

20 minutes ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Aquila, are you able to edit mds files too? I thought you could not open those with the tools. Let me know how you did it, I would like to try and fix the Soviet Paratroopers.

Thanks!

I think you are right. I just did renaming jobs on the .mds.

19 minutes ago, Mord said:

Yeah, but nothing was ever changed in the files it was just a reskin of the original models. It could be redone with the new SF2 models though it'd be different.

Certainly the can be redone with CMSF2 models but it likely would require to rework all textures in order to met the new CMSF2 texture layouts. Give the African Forces UNCON folder a shot. The figuring and renaming took 10 minutes and resulted with MikeyD´s African UNCON finally making their way to CMSF2. Perhaps its the same with the CMA Muj.

Would be great to see the Muj in CMSF2. 

Edited by Aquila-CM

16 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

Perhaps its the same with the CMA Muj.

I took a shot at it back when SF2 first came out. It's not possible at least as far as I could tell. It about drove me crazy. It was hard enough trying to figure out how to do it in SF1. I never could, someone else did it. It may have been Blimey. Can't remember now. I suppose Muj are a mod too far. LOL.

Anyway, INCREDIBLE work with all this stuff. I'd love to see more like the radar tower. We sorely are in need of everyday type objects too. We should start a list that would make the environments feel more alive.

Mord.