Proximity fuzes in GL?

18 hours ago, Ultradave said:

The only time it would be coming (almost) straight down would be a high angle mission (say, to fire over the top of a mountain to the valley behind). Physics tells you that you can ballistically hit the same spot from two different firing angles - one below 45deg and one >45deg. You don't use time or VT for those for exactly the reason you are asking. But that's not a normal mission.

I ran a test on a wide open map with no surrounding mountains with the US 105 mm howitzer, air burst TRP mission. All shells look like they come in at about a 45-65 degree angle (hard to measure exactly).

It's an animation for the game. To me it's always looked the same, but 40-45deg is probably reasonable. Ballistics with air friction. But you don't know where the battery is (and therefore the range, the charge it fired - all that stuff is abstracted and from the infantry's viewpoint, you don't care at all).  

Maybe this will help. It's an example of 155mm Tabular Firing Tables. It shows examples of all the data and corrections to be applied. It only shows one page of each type of data in the book but if this can't convince you that there is accurate data and that artillery that can fire precisely and firing data that can be calculated exactly, there isn't anything more I can say.  It works. I had years of experience doing it. 

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-40/Ch7.htm

If you REALLY want to get into it try FM 6-40  the gunnery manual.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-40/index.html

Just scroll through the table of contents to see the topics and you'll get a good idea of the complexity involved and the efforts for accuracy. You can probably find places to download some older editions of 6-40

Edited by Ultradave

If I have in any way offended you by inadvertedly questioning your expertise in artillery or that artillery IRL can be that accurate - I do apologize for it was never my intention.

I have no doubt it can be accurete or that the calculations and timings can produce spectacular results. My only reason for this thread was to start a query about if the air bursts we see in the CM WWII-games is an accurate description of what could be produced in WWII on a regular basis. If you say that it is, I take your word for it.

And with that I rest my case. Thank you for the discussion. I will delve deeper into the material you pointed me to.

Not at all. I was just saying I've pretty much exhausted what I can say about time round 🙂 

Somewhere in 6-40 there is a diagram that shows the expected probabilities for time rounds. It's in % along a trajectory but you can think of it as a bell curve. Almost all the rounds will explode in the air, with error probability in fuze and impact location. Very, very small percentage might hit the ground. I don't remember exactly (it's been a while) but it was really small.