SF2 or Black Sea for first modern CM game?

Nic pic. When it comes to a new game in the modern era, I'd like to see the Iran - Iraq war modeled. All of the "cold war" toys and then some. The operations around Basra alone would make for a complete game. What I was hinting at would be just allowing people who own both games to combine the assets of each game into one common pool that can be used to create scenarios, QB's etc, not necessarily a whole new game.

Iran was operating reengined M47s at the time (using US engines illegally supplied to them by Israel).

Y'know, I had kit-bashed that M47 type decades ago. Let's see if I can still find the model in the back of my closet.

M47 kit.jpg

29176411606_43b0440f39_b.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

That's nicely done sir, kudos for cutting plastic.  B)

Even the baseline M47's very hard to do in the 1/72 world, it's the only 'Patton' that I don't have.....There's no injection kit and the resin kits that are available are less than brilliant.  However I have a feeling Armory or maybe even OKB Grigorov may do one in the not too distant future (he says optimistically).  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Sooooo long ago! It was either a Tamiya M48 engine deck or it might've even been a leftover  Monogram kit canabalized from my childhood, that I recall was billed as 1/32 but was really 1/35. :o  I remember the ancient Monogram kit actually 'sat' more convincingly on its tracks than the Tamiya kit.

images885D0WFV.jpg

Nice work man. I used to build models and dioramas decades ago. There's a lot of talented modellers our there. Some of the stuff by MiG Jimenez is freaking amazing. I think he has his own product line now out of Spain. However, nowadays for the price of one decent kit, I purchased CM:BS. A much better value, imo. I used to have a stack of Fruilmodel tracks for tons of tanks from a 38(t) on up. Those things cost as much as a kit now. I was surprised at how much costs have increased for modellers.

Both Iran and Iraq together operated just about everything that would have been used had the "cold war" gone hot just short of Nuclear Armageddon. There's a lot that's been written about that war in the years since. Iran's ill fated offensive with Chieftain tanks vs T-62 in the mud would be a great example of just the kind of cold war engagements I've seen the demand for from time to time on the forums. There is a market for hard hitting war games steeped in reality that cover that conflict for sure, especially the CM series. There's a Ukrainian developer that's touched on some of that stuff, but it's not in the same league as CM...not even close, imo. Apples to oranges really, but it's all that's there so far that covers that conflict. Iranian Frogmen in  Basra 86 and T-62 vs M-60, etc. I forget the name of the games. Operation Star or some such...regardless, my point it that there's a market for it for sure and the way CM covers conflicts is uniquely superior to anything else out there that I know of.

Wandering back to the topic of models again, I thought I'd share my weirdest kit build ever.
A welded turret Sherman 76 based on a single set of tiny drawings of a design drawn-up just in case they  didn't have enough turret casting facilities to meet their 76 Sherman quota. I have seen nobody else ever tackle this item, or even mention it anywhere outside of page 205 of Hunnicutt's 'Sherman'.

Did I ever tell you the story of when I got a phone call from R. P. Hunnicutt? 
I recall it was a Saturday, the mid 1990s. I was sitting on my couch staring vacantly into space when my phone rang. I answered and on the other end someone said "Hello, my name in R.P. Hunnicutt. I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing some art for me." I moved the phone from my ear and just stared at it for a few moments. Then I brought it back to my ear and said "SURE!" After the conversation ended I very slowly put the phone back down and just stared at it for the longest time, unable to compose my thoughts. Eventually I thought, "Well THAT was random!" :blink:

welded turret sherman.jpg

On 7/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, IICptMillerII said:

I'm partial to the US Army campaign titled Task Force Thunder. Its a long campaign with a good assortment of different missions and in my opinion only a few of the missions are duds. The Marine campaign has some great missions in it as well. 

The Dutch campaign is a lot of fun too, though it hasn't been fully updated to engine 4 standards yet, so you may want to wait on that one. 

On TF Thunder, mission 3 -- the based abandoned by syrian army but now inhabited by special forces/irregulars.  Kinda nasty so far.  Great advice on this campaign, it's a winner.  Though I do always wonder why the strykers w the big guns carry so few rounds?

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

On TF Thunder, mission 3 -- the based abandoned by syrian army but now inhabited by special forces/irregulars.  Kinda nasty so far.  Great advice on this campaign, it's a winner.  Though I do always wonder why the strykers w the big guns carry so few rounds?

Yeah any mission where you’re up against the Syrian special forces is likely to be a tough fight. They tend to be well equipped and motivated, but most importantly dug into good defensive positions. That airfield can be a real pain to take down. 

The Stryker MGS doesn’t carry many rounds. It’s one of its biggest issues irl. That, and they are notoriously unreliable due to the unmanned and automated turret/loader. If it’s any consolation, the Army doesn’t like them either. 

7 hours ago, Liveload said:

There's a Ukrainian developer that's touched on some of that stuff, but it's not in the same league as CM...not even close, imo. Apples to oranges really, but it's all that's there so far that covers that conflict. Iranian Frogmen in  Basra 86 and T-62 vs M-60, etc. I forget the name of the games. Operation Star or some such...regardless, my point it that there's a market for it for sure and the way CM covers conflicts is uniquely superior to anything else out there that I know of.

Operation Star is the title most like CM, where you give orders to guys and vehicles etc. The much cooler version of this is the full on tank sim Steel Armor: Blaze of War. They have a Basra 86 DLC (which you mentioned) as well as covering 80s Afghanistan and Angola in the main game. Pretty immersive but I have to admit I don't have a ton of time invested because of being dragged in so many other directions. But I do recommend it. Put some head phones on and jump in the tank and you will feel like you are there! A VERY cool little known gem.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

11 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The Stryker MGS doesn’t carry many rounds. It’s one of its biggest issues irl. That, and they are notoriously unreliable due to the unmanned and automated turret/loader. If it’s any consolation, the Army doesn’t like them either. 

I don't understand why the US didn't just buy the Centauro B1:

800px-Centauro_tank_destroyer_in_spanish

They bought ten of them to test the whole wheeled light tank concept, but then decided to make their own version on the Stryker.....Which as we know, could have gone better.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile in Italy:

4l-Image-23.jpg

They're up to a 120mm smoothbore and it's still by far and away the best looking vehicle of its type.  B)

I (vaguely) recall the Pentagon tested Centauro and it was a bit of a disaster. Firing the main gun would smash the lights and optics on the bow, rattle pieces loose inside the turret. American-size crew couldn't fit into the vehicle. I can't remember the details, it was a very long time ago that I read an article on it. Centauro did serve in the US, though as a stand-in for in-development MGS during early proof-of-concept training for Stryker Brigade

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I don't understand why the US didn't just buy the Centauro B1:

The short answer is: standardization. If all the vehicles in a stryker Brigade Combat team are the same, it creates a common maintenance pool, which cuts down on logistics and cost. 

Personally I think the MGS is more of a bad design than a bad concept. I heard that the Army was looking into an overhaul, but I can’t recall what the proposal entails. 

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Steel Armor looks very good, Mord.  Do you use a joystick and thrust controllers like for aircraft or only mouse and keyboard?

Keyboard and mouse. Which is fine, it works pretty nice once you get the hang of it. The cool part is you can play it completely in first person mode if you want complete immersion. There's a good amount of vids on Youtube if you want to do more research. Like most sims it's not a game for everyone.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

9 hours ago, Mord said:

Keyboard and mouse. Which is fine, it works pretty nice once you get the hang of it. The cool part is you can play it completely in first person mode if you want complete immersion. There's a good amount of vids on Youtube if you want to do more research. Like most sims it's not a game for everyone.

Mord.

Used to love First Person games like Microprose's M1 Tank platoon and early versions of Steel Beasts.  Your pics of your sim look amazing.  

Holy f**k!!  they have exploding cars!  I saw this funny icon over a car & I thought "what does that mean?".  Then it started driving toward my troops at full speed and I realized what it was.  It managed to get next to a building w one of my squads but I had moved them out just in time.  Didn't expect exploding cars.  :)