I give up. Activation ok but no launch

Ok, it is now 22:16. I have worked with this since 11.00 today, thats 11 hours. 

I purchased CMBN upgrade pack 3+4 and installed it. After a hazzle with support regarding wrong serials i managed to activate my products. 

BUT when i press the PLAY button the tank picture re-appears after 3 seconds without any buttons, and the game never starts. 

So i close the app and removes the exe from the taskbar and retry, and now i have to activate the product with the key again. This is infinite. Every time i start the program i have to re-activate with the key and still it does not lauch. Rebooting, reinstalling, uninstalling gives exactly the same result. Nil. Note that products gets registered in green okay so according to the app my game is ready for play.

What i have tried:

1. Launch from steam as other guy here suggested. No difference.

2. Completely reinstall with only CMBN 4.0 installer. No difference.

3. Completely reinstall with CMBN 1.0 then 2.0. Game runs fine. Installing 4.0 over this breaks the game though. No difference.

4. Reboot computer in between, shutting down virusprogram, inactivating firewall, no such things affect the outcome in any way.

I feel that the copy protection for these titles are just the worst i have ever come across. 

I am wodering if anyone here might know a trick to work around this.

Edited by pzrshrek

I went through something similar with someone else recently with CMFI and in their case it was the base game key being applied that did the trick.  but yeah having a ticket is a good place to start. From your description it sounds like you may need the 4.0 upgrade activation.

the reinstalls were not really helping you.  CM is actually pretty straightforward  mostly it comes down to making sure of your license keys.  I would always use the full installer and keep my version at latest.

1 hour ago, pzrshrek said:

3. Completely reinstall with CMBN 1.0 then 2.0. Game runs fine. Installing 4.0 over this breaks the game though. No difference

This one here is I think the main clue to the missing activation, be sure to provide this tidbit to the helpdesk.

Actually, come to think of it, when I reinstalled CM:BN, I had a similar issue.....I input all activation keys and it just wouldn't work. 

For me inputting my original CM:BN key again fixed it.....Maybe worth a try before opening a ticket? 

Definitely open one anyway though.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Actually, come to think of it, when I reinstalled CM:BN, I had a similar issue.....I input all activation keys and it just wouldn't work. 

For me inputting my original CM:BN key again fixed it.....Maybe worth a try before opening a ticket? 

Definitely open one anyway though.

Humbly thanks for the suggestion. However, the 4.0 installer says invalid keys for my ver1 and ver2. 

Can i regedit away all my keys somehow and start from scratch? Like un.activate the keys entirely from my computer? 

8 minutes ago, pzrshrek said:

Humbly thanks for the suggestion. However, the 4.0 installer says invalid keys for my ver1 and ver2. 

Can i regedit away all my keys somehow and start from scratch? Like un.activate the keys entirely from my computer? 

no and you don't need to they have no impact.  Your issue seems to be a missing activation key.  Your CMBN works fine in the older version meaning your old keys are still seen.  What seems to be missing is the newer keys.    ver 1 and 2 keys can not activate a 4.0 CM.  Did you purchase the 3.0 and 4.0 upgrades? edit sorry see you already said you did.

From the upgrade page - https://www.battlefront.com/cmbn-upgrades/

Current version is v4.00 (Game Engine 4).  The first release of Battle for Normandy used Engine 1.  You must Upgrade to Engine 3 before Engine 4

As Sgt says, check your spam folder, you might actually have a response.  They can tell what you are actually licensed for in terms of what you purchased.

Edited by sburke

20 minutes ago, pzrshrek said:

Ok that might be the problem then. I cannot upgrade to engine 3, since i have no such installer. AFter purchasing the 3+4 bundle, i only got a link to the engine 4 installer. *sighs*

Do check your spam or log directly into your ticket. There are zero tickets that have gone unresponded to for anything close to that amount of time. Drop me a PM here with your real name so that I can look it up. I'm out grabbing something to eat right now, so I won't get to it immediately. 

Regarding installation,  you don't need to install the 3.0 Upgrade. The 4.0 Upgrades installer installs the entire game. There is nothing else that you need to install everything that you need.

When you activate, what 'green boxes' are shown in your activation window ? This should list the modules/upgrades that are currently activated. If you have a '3+4 bundle' did you get one or two license keys with it ? I assume one. Typically you will need the Upgrade 3.0 and Upgrade 4.0 license keys to activate the base game fully. With the '3+4 bundle' I'm not sure how that works if you only get one license key. I would assume that one license key MIGHT activate both the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrades (the 1.0 base and 2.0 Upgrade license keys are NOT needed, typically).

Using the 'all-in-one' 4.0 installer (from 'scratch', i.e. - no other install present) you would not need anything other than possibly the latest patch.

Snaked by Elvis

Edited by Schrullenhaft

• 2 weeks later...

If you have purchased the 4.0 Upgrade, then I suggest downloading the all-in-one 4.0 installer. You should be able to get a download link to it from your 4.0 Upgrade purchase. For CMBN for Windows that would be the 3GB file named (in the folder view) 'Windows FULL CM Normandy'. This will link you to the actual download that is updated to 4.02. This file is a .rar compressed file on the PC, so you'll need a compression/decompression program that can work with that format, such as WinRAR, 7zip, etc. Windows natively doesn't handle RAR compression files (like it can with .zip).

With the Full 4.0 installer you do NOT need anything else installed. All modules and patches are included. They simply need to be activated after installing. In fact I suggest deleting/uninstalling whatever else you have installed before installing this all-in-one installer. Whatever has been previously activated on this computer (upgrade/module/pack) should remain activated, as long as there hasn't been a reinstall/upgrade of Windows or significant hardware changes (that may invalidate an activation). With the 4.0 Upgrade/full installation, you will typically want to activate with the 4.0 Upgrade license key first, make note of what green activation boxes are present after a successful activation. The text in the boxes should tell you what the game considers activated at this point. Close down CMBN (which will just be an activation window at this point). Launch CM again and you should be presented with another activation window. Use the 3.0 Upgrade license key at this point, again making note of what green activation boxes are present after activating. If you were to load the game at this point, it should be just the base game patched to the 4.02 patch. If you have modules, then you will need to click the 'Activate Modules' shortcut. This MIGHT be on your desktop or in the Start Menu (within the Battlefront > Combat Mission Battle for Normandy folder). With this shortcut you can input the license keys for the modules and packs that you have (one at a time, with each activation attempt). Again, make note of what green activation boxes exist after a successful activation. After everything has been activated, the module/pack icons should show up at the bottom of the initial CMBN splash screen.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Use the 3.0 Upgrade license key at this point, again making note of what green activation boxes are present after activating. 

This means I do need 3.0? Sorry for hijacking this, will open own thread if next reply doesn't fix my issue.

But I installed FI on a clean machine, then installed 4.0 full. Now, after activating and pressing "play" the activation window opens without any buttons to click, I just see the tank firing which is the background, and can't click on anything. I can only end the Programme. 

Cheers

Edited by Calgar

If you launch it again, what do you get, another activation window ? If so, then you should be able to activate with the 3.0 Upgrade license key. Was CMFI activated on this computer previously (assuming you didn't upgrade Windows or completely reinstall it) ? With a full 4.0 install, you will need both the 4.0 Upgrade and the 3.0 Upgrade license keys (assuming you didn't purchase the base game when it was already at version 4.0 - something determined by the date of purchase). If you have the '3.0 + 4.0 Upgrade' (a combo), then I'm not sure how the activation works since I assume you only get one license key, which probably like the base game purchase after the 4.0 Upgrade was released, should activate with just one activation of the license key.

To get more details on your specific issue of activation you may want to open a support ticket with the Helpdesk (click the blue, '+new ticket' icon in the upper right). You will probably need to provide details of you CMFI related purchases (and their dates) along with your license keys if you feel that your purchases should require a 3.0 Upgrade license key.