Rome to Victory Pre-orders are now open

I really hope this module wont be as big of a disappointment as Gustav Line was. 

The CMBN MG module set the bar extremely high in content and bang for your buck. Gustav Line didn't have one map I deemed worthy. I really havent touched FI at all. CMRT looks more promising right now. 

It also bothers me how the module is advertised as 50 new vehicles when most are just reskins. I understand BF is a small company and I'm not demanding the impossible... but I hate seeing these things. Modern titles are much better value. 

That being said - I still plan on buying this, as to keep my collection complete. But I am totally prepared to be disappointed again. 

Edited by Artkin

Commonwealth Forces ($35):  2 campaigns + 20 standalone scenarios

Market Garden ($35): 2 campaigns + 14 standalone scenarios

CMFI Gustav Line ($35): 4 campaigns + 18 standalone scenarios

CMBN Battlepack ($10): 1 campaign + 12 standalone scenarios

CMBS Battlepack ($10): 2 campaigns + 6 standalone scenarios

This new CMFI module has 2 campaigns and 8 standalone scenarios and is priced at $35. (Obviously it has other content as well, like all the modules do.) I guess the customers will decide with their wallets whether this is an acceptable amount of value or not.

The product website doesn't say anything about QB maps, but I guess that is an oversight. GL QB maps are amongst my favourites across all games. 

FWIW, GL came with very strong huge scenarios based on Anzio which I count amongst my all time favourites, too.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

42 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I understand BF is a small company and I'm not demanding the impossible... but I hate seeing these things.

Yes, the scenario, whether it be standalone or through a campaign, is where the player interfaces with the product. What good are new vehicles, skins, forces, etc., if there are so few scenarios in which you might encounter them?

I would have never guessed that I'd have to give serious thought to the question "Should I buy the Rome to Victory module?", but... here we are.

51 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

The product website doesn't say anything about QB maps, but I guess that is an oversight. GL QB maps are amongst my favourites across all games. 

FWIW, GL came with very strong huge scenarios based on Anzio which I count amongst my all time favourites, too.

Are these maps numbered? I have maps 0 - 431. I haven't noticed new QB maps since this is my least played game.

Edit - checking up on my FI installation, it's all goofed up LOL. I originally checked to see if I had the elefant etc ingame, which I did. But there's something wrong with my installation. I will get back to you guys on this thread. Sorry. 

I have mg teams getting registered as anti tank squads, and 37mm's firing 150mm shells LOL!

I blame help desk for this one, this was the copy they supplied me!

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Are these maps numbered? I have maps 0 - 431. I haven't noticed new QB maps since this is my least played game.

Edit - checking up on my FI installation, it's all goofed up LOL. I originally checked to see if I had the elefant etc ingame, which I did. But there's something wrong with my installation. I will get back to you guys on this thread. Sorry. 

I have mg teams getting registered as anti tank squads, and 37mm's firing 150mm shells LOL!

I blame help desk for this one, this was the copy they supplied me!

There are only like four new QB maps with this release after re-installation. 

Honestly at this point the scenario/campaign count really doesn't bother me. Rome to Victory was first announced back in 2015 IIRC. I just want to see this module released so we can move on to new projects. The module for CMRT is at the top of my list, but I also want to see something for CMBS and CMFB. As far as I'm concerned, the faster Rome to Victory comes out, the faster those other projects can be worked on. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Rome to Victory. Tons of new nations and formations, as well as the first WWII title to cover the end of the war. Not to mention CMFI will cover the largest time period of any CM game. I've always had a soft spot for the game as well, so if nothing more I'm looking forward to some new content for it. All of the behind the scenes TO&E work that has been done will likely benefit all of the WWII titles, and hopefully aid in the production of more modules for them.

Edited by IICptMillerII

All modules have come to date with substantial numbers of QB maps. From the product page for GL

The extension of through June 4, 1944 allows you to experience the grueling fighting along the coast, such as Anzio, as well as the epic battles in the mountainous interior, such as Monte Cassino. Four campaigns, 18 stand alone battles, and a large number of Quick Battle maps give you the opportunity to test your tactical acumen. The carefully researched Commonwealth forces dramatically increase the depth and variety of battles you can experience with Fortress Italy

The GL ones came with a distinct "mountainous" feeling, what I would expect from the Apennines/Abruzzi highlands, and other maps covering areas like Anzio, Cisterna and Santa Maria Infante (check out the 2nd DAR by BilHardenberger for GL IIRC was happening on the later).

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

There are only like four new QB maps with this release after re-installation. 

The current GA release does not have any R2V material.  That seems to be a recurring bit of misinformation based on the default text that all modules share.  Nothing from R2V is in the copy you have yet.  What you are installing is base game, GL and the patches.  And no it isn't likely they goofed up your install.  More likely you have somehow gotten additional BRZ files in there.  What you are seeing is some typical effects.  You can confirm by looking in your data folder.  You should have the base game brz files, GL files and more Fortress Italy BRZs going up to v201

I am 99% sure of that as I know someone else who just reloaded and they don't have any of the issues you seem to have.  Those 4 QBs may actually have come with the patch assuming they aren't something else entirely.  :P 

4 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

May have changed, it mentions them now but does not give a count.  They likely don't yet have the final number on that.

I have placed my order for CMFI: Rome to Victory. What really caught my attention was one particular screen-shot, of the Brummbar. I like how the anti-tank skirts are all cattywumpus and look like they have seen some use, not like they just came off the factory floor. Also, I noticed in the TO&E that India is one of the nations included. Does this mean we are getting the revered Gurkha? That would be cool. All in all, I think that $35.00 is a fair price for this expansion to CMFI.

**Chris**

Edited by WhiteWolf65
Used wrong word

15 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Will be pre-ordering this week.  So glad this Chapter is complete.   Unless later the Heavens open and we get 41-42.  LOL  Thank you Battlefront and all those who make this possible.  More Hours upon Hours of enjoyment.

Double ditto

15 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Honestly at this point the scenario/campaign count really doesn't bother me. Rome to Victory was first announced back in 2015 IIRC. I just want to see this module released so we can move on to new projects. The module for CMRT is at the top of my list, but I also want to see something for CMBS and CMFB. As far as I'm concerned, the faster Rome to Victory comes out, the faster those other projects can be worked on. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Rome to Victory. Tons of new nations and formations, as well as the first WWII title to cover the end of the war. Not to mention CMFI will cover the largest time period of any CM game. I've always had a soft spot for the game as well, so if nothing more I'm looking forward to some new content for it. All of the behind the scenes TO&E work that has been done will likely benefit all of the WWII titles, and hopefully aid in the production of more modules for them.

Again, double ditto. Might I add, as far as continuation of CMFB, I think an expansion dealing with the end of the war (for the US and western allies) from after the Bulge to the crossing of the Rhine would definitely be in order. I am sure that this is the plan going forward, but off course I could be way off base.

19 hours ago, Artkin said:

I really hope this module wont be as big of a disappointment as Gustav Line was. 

The CMBN MG module set the bar extremely high in content and bang for your buck. Gustav Line didn't have one map I deemed worthy. I really havent touched FI at all. CMRT looks more promising right now. 

It also bothers me how the module is advertised as 50 new vehicles when most are just reskins. I understand BF is a small company and I'm not demanding the impossible... but I hate seeing these things. Modern titles are much better value. 

That being said - I still plan on buying this, as to keep my collection complete. But I am totally prepared to be disappointed again. 

It is true that BF is a small company, but for them to keep the Combat Mission series alive for as long as they have, almost 20 years now, is something I can't say for other gaming companies that have come and gone. I applaud every single person (code writers, graphic artists, researchers, beta-testers) that work on all the CM titles, whether it is a whole new game or an expansion to an existing one. Being a former member of a development/beta-testing team for a different gaming company I can honestly say that how BF is handling the Combat Mission series is fine by me. They can't please all the people all the time. It would be literally impossible for them to work on new games/expansions to please us all in a timely manner. Yes, it has taken them years in some instances to release a new game/expansion but I am one of those that is patient enough to wait for them. In another post, I mentioned that I felt it was a good idea on BF's behalf to get rid of all the other game titles and let them be sold on Steam. They were stretching themselves far too thin. Concentrating on Combat Mission is a very good plan, IMHO.

**Chris**

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Might I add, as far as continuation of CMFB, I think an expansion dealing with the end of the war (for the US and western allies) from after the Bulge to the crossing of the Rhine would definitely be in order. I am sure that this is the plan going forward, but off course I could be way off base.

IIRC it was announced a while ago that the plan is to add a module to CMFB that adds CW forces and brings the game to the end of the war in the ETO.

16 hours ago, sburke said:

The current GA release does not have any R2V material. 

I was actually talking about the Gustav Line expansion. All I really got was the scenarios, and the campaigns. I just love getting maps. They're the only thing that I can transfer from game to game. I just saw GL praised so much on the forum and it feels like the same exact game. Whereas, for instance, the MG expansion for CMBN was a tremendous addition. They're easily my most played maps

7 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I was actually talking about the Gustav Line expansion. All I really got was the scenarios, and the campaigns. I just love getting maps. They're the only thing that I can transfer from game to game. I just saw GL praised so much on the forum and it feels like the same exact game. Whereas, for instance, the MG expansion for CMBN was a tremendous addition. They're easily my most played maps

Hey, I love maps too....especially when I am designing them (that's on hold for the time being). I don't know what to say about GL, but I don't really consider it to be the same game as the base FI game. Market Garden was indeed a tremendous addition and I am sure that further expansions to RT, FB, and BS will also be just as grand. Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, Artkin said:

It is a very subjective thing.  You like something or you don't based on your preferences etc.  Personally I did like GL, but I reserve my real vote for CMSF2.  While I like CMBS it doesn't scratch my itch the same way.  I am not so sure I understand your comments though on maps - from the website - Four campaigns, 18 stand alone battles, and a large number of Quick Battle maps.  Not sure why you think there were just 4 if that is what you are saying, I could be mistaken.

BF did lavished more attention on CMBN than any other title.  There simply is no way they were going to be able to do that for all of them.  We got spoiled.

I basically look at it this way.  Every title is going to be different.  Trying to compare two and say one is not worth it because it doesn't have X while ignoring that it does have Y where the first one didn't is a rabbit hole I avoid.  You're gonna like what you are gonna like and not every title is going to scratch your itch the same way.  CMRT doesn't really do it for me while for others it is the best title.... go figure. 

47 minutes ago, sburke said:

Not sure why you think there were just 4 if that is what you are saying, I could be mistaken.

In quick battles I scrolled through the maps 0-431 in meet, and attack, and I only saw four maps that lit up on the Gustav Line icon on the bottom left. Not sure how I can access these maps, I redownloaded the game and no luck. What are the names of the new maps? Someone tell me please! :(

49 minutes ago, sburke said:

CMRT doesn't really do it for me while for others it is the best title.... go figure. 

I felt like CMRT was lacking as well. It definitely felt like one of the neglected titles. The Orsha maps made it up for me though