Possible new command for World War II CM games

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

As I have mentioned in previous posts, read how effective concealed German weapons (from infantry up to heavy towed weapons) were at destroying advancing US infantry and armored units as the US was making it's way to Cologne. One excellent source of how Germany conducted combat operations during the war is "On the German Art of War: Truppenfuhrung: German Army Manual for Unit Command in World War II" by Bruce Condell and David T Zabecki, published by Stackpole Books. This is an excellent book for anyone that is interested in how the German Army conducted combat operations during the war. And, it's pretty cool to read while listening to Dark Side of the Moon by Floyd. LOL

Just read at Amazon:

"English translation of the military manual that guided the German Army in World War II. This book was carried into battle by officers and NCOs and had been classified by the U.S. Army until the year 2000. Topics include command, attack, defense, tanks, chemical warfare, logistics, and more."

Classified until 2000? Now that´s BS for sure! (guess it´s simple advertising, must buy thingy) The Hdv 300 Truppenführung (of which 2 originals I have from 1933) in fact were written in the 1920ies / early 30ies more as basics to be applied as ideal german conducting war principles at that time and later. Think much of what "von Seeckt" worked out past WW1 made its entries here as well (carried over from 1923 Hdv 487 "Command and battle of combined arms"). Nonetheless a recommended read and with some adaptions surely had full validity in WW2 and way beyond. At ~20 $ I´d likely buy. Mine ebay originals weren´t more expensive couple of years ago.

12 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Just read at Amazon:

"English translation of the military manual that guided the German Army in World War II. This book was carried into battle by officers and NCOs and had been classified by the U.S. Army until the year 2000. Topics include command, attack, defense, tanks, chemical warfare, logistics, and more."

Classified until 2000? Now that´s BS for sure! (guess it´s simple advertising, must buy thingy) The Hdv 300 Truppenführung (of which 2 originals I have from 1933) in fact were written in the 1920ies / early 30ies more as basics to be applied as ideal german conducting war principles at that time and later. Think much of what "von Seeckt" worked out past WW1 made its entries here as well (carried over from 1923 Hdv 487 "Command and battle of combined arms"). Nonetheless a recommended read and with some adaptions surely had full validity in WW2 and way beyond. At ~20 $ I´d likely buy. Mine ebay originals weren´t more expensive couple of years ago.

I highly recommend you purchase this book. It has a lot of very informative information on how Germany conducted itself during the war, IMHO

BTW, I just added about seven new Stackpole books for my reference library. 1: Kampfgruppe Peiper at the Battle of the Bulge, 2: Retreat to the Reich: The German Defeat in France, 1944, 3: The Siege of Kustrin: Gateway to Berlin, 4: The Germans in Normandy, 5: German Order of Battle: Panzer, Panzergrenadier, and Waffen SS, 6: Normandy '44 (D-Day and the Epic 77 Day Battle for France), and 7: Tank Tactics: From Normandy to Lorraine. I plan to expand my Stackpole reference library in the weeks and months to come.

**Chris**

Edited by WhiteWolf65

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

I highly recommend you purchase this book. It has a lot of very informative information on how Germany conducted itself during the war, IMHO

me or generally? As said I have two german originals HDV 300 as of 1933 and the 1923 HDV 487 as well. Though the latter is not quite too good condition nearing almost a hundred years of age. :P 

Regarding Stackpole stuff, I´d also recommend Schneiders Panzer Tactics from their collection. In case you want to know almost everything on german tank tactics related in WW2. B)

4 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

me or generally? As said I have two german originals HDV 300 as of 1933 and the 1923 HDV 487 as well. Though the latter is not quite too good condition nearing almost a hundred years of age. :P 

Regarding Stackpole stuff, I´d also recommend Schneiders Panzer Tactics from their collection. In case you want to know almost everything on german tank tactics related in WW2. B)

Yes, that was one of my next purchases. Kampfgruppe Peiper at the Battle of the Bulge is really good. Lots of 1:50000 scale and smaller tactical maps. Lots of good scenario material in that book.

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Yes, that was one of my next purchases. Kampfgruppe Peiper at the Battle of the Bulge is really good. Lots of 1:50000 scale and smaller tactical maps. Lots of good scenario material in that book.

Schneider´s works is always to be recommended. He usually relies on as much primary source  materials as possible, quite similar to Jentz and others. It´s (Panzer Tactics) also one the more rare english translated from original german  stuff as I can confirm having couple of the sources in my possession as well. Wished I´d more time reading and $ to grab more all that though. Need a 48 hours day. :P

On 6/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

Target Grenade : Attack order that uses grenades and demolition charges only. It would increase the usefulness of grenades especially in urban settings. You can do something similar in the games as they are, provided the terrain is right (target in the same Action Square, but beyond an obstacle), but such a thing is quite rare.

Back in the day using a "Target brief/briefly" command was a good way to get infantry units to chuck lots of grenades. I haven't played for a long time so have no idea if this is still the case. Other arms could also be fired as well of course so it might not be just grenades.

Edited by Offshoot