mortar response time

hello, i'm playing a h2h, I chose a battalion of crack german infantry on defense.  In the last couple turns I bracketed a linear mortar mission and it went a long way to breaking up his attack. 

now he's pushing up a parallel lane about 200m to the east, but when I call another, almost identical barrage down on the same line (it's just 200m to the left), it says it will take 7 minutes.

how can I speed this up?  seems a half competent battery wouldn't have a problem adjusting

Unfortunately you can’t. In the game, offmap artillery/mortar call time isn’t affected by previous missions. There’s no “memory” of previous targets, and there’s no benefit to repeating a previous mission. Each fire mission starts from scratch. That may not be realistic but it is the way the game is built.

Placing a TRP before the game will speed up call time, but again that’s independent of whether you’ve fired at that spot during the game previously. It just speeds up all shots at that target. 

You can of course adjust the target of a fire mission BEFORE it’s finished, and that will be quicker than calling a new mission. But there are limits to what you can change by adjusting. Most notably, you can’t change the length of an ongoing mission. 

Edited by General Liederkranz

What @General Liederkranz said. I'll just add a couple more thoughts. One is the call time will vary based on who is making the call. The Platoon Lt could have a longer call than the Company CO who's call will be longer than a dedicated FO. For battalion mortars often the mortar platoon HQ has the best call time. Just mentioning this on the off chance you don't already know this.

Also some people advocate for calling maximum duration missions and then adjusting them. This results in more responsive changes but has the draw back of using all your ammo so you would need to cancel the mission if you don't have a secondary target.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

What @General Liederkranz said. I'll just add a couple more thoughts. One is the call time will vary based on who is making the call. The Platoon Lt could have a longer call than the Company CO who's call will be longer than a dedicated FO. For battalion mortars often the mortar platoon HQ has the best call time. Just mentioning this on the off chance you don't already know this.

Adding to what @IanL said, there is a small circle in the bottom right hand corner of every artillery or air asset representing the C2 level between the unit calling for the support and the artillery. The darker green the circle is, the shorter the call time will be. If the little circle is yellow, orange or red, expect very long call times. 

pzROG5S.jpg

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

On 6/13/2019 at 1:38 AM, General Liederkranz said:

Unfortunately you can’t. In the game, offmap artillery/mortar call time isn’t affected by previous missions. There’s no “memory” of previous targets, and there’s no benefit to repeating a previous mission. Each fire mission starts from scratch. That may not be realistic but it is the way the game is built.

Placing a TRP before the game will speed up call time, but again that’s independent of whether you’ve fired at that spot during the game previously. It just speeds up all shots at that target. 

You can of course adjust the target of a fire mission BEFORE it’s finished, and that will be quicker than calling a new mission. But there are limits to what you can change by adjusting. Most notably, you can’t change the length of an ongoing mission. 

is it missions called directly on the TRP, or within a certain distance? apologies, haven't used them even though they've been in many missions i've played

23 minutes ago, professionalXMAZ said:

is it missions called directly on the TRP, or within a certain distance? apologies, haven't used them even though they've been in many missions i've played

Missions that are specified with in ~50m around a TRP. So you can call a point mission anywhere inside that circle or create an area mission with a radius of up to 100m or a short line mission. If you have two TRPs then you can create a line between them or an area mission that centres near one and has a radius out near the other.