Patch 1.04 in GoG version?

I was pleased to see that Combat Mission Afrika Korps and Barbarossa to Berlin are being sold on GoG - I bought them both for posterity's sake even though I already had them from when they were offered on the Battlefront store. However it looks like the versions uploaded to GoG are versions 1.03 instead of 1.04. This is important for me, because 1.03 runs with very low frame-rates regardless of what kinds of compatibility settings I use on my machine. Patch 1.04 runs fine.

Are there plans to update the GoG version to patch 1.04? I guess I don't mind right now since I still have versions 1.04 from battlefront. But I would be very disappointed if the GoG release tarnishes the perception of this game due to preventable technical issues. I want to buy this game to some friends so we can PBEM but I want to make sure it'll run well on modern systems with patch 1.04.

I have tested CMAK and CMBB. The GOG versions seem to run perfectly at least to start the game and run the first few turns. Also tried Rain with FOG and it just works :)

Usually GOG make sure old games run fine on new OS and modern hardware, maybe with help from Battlefront.

Win 10 Pro, Nvidia 980 GTX, i7/2600K, 16GB RAM.

Edited by ratdeath

I managed to get it working at a good framerate with dgVoodoo 2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html Because I have a widescreen monitor the 3d graphics were stretched until I manually specified 1920x1440 resolution in dgVoodoo config settings. So at least there are workarounds to get it working.

Win 10 Pro, Nvidia 2080 Ti, i7-9700k, 16GB RAM.

Actually, that's very interesting that its working fine on your system. My older rig has a GTX 980, too, and I still got slow performance on 1.03 but good performance on 1.04. My laptop has integrated graphics and runs fine on 1.03 so I assumed it was an issue with new cards. My Windows 7 machine with a GTX 670 runs 1.03 at solid 60 fps.

9 hours ago, Manfredo said:

I managed to get it working at a good framerate with dgVoodoo 2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html Because I have a widescreen monitor the 3d graphics were stretched until I manually specified 1920x1440 resolution in dgVoodoo config settings. So at least there are workarounds to get it working.

Win 10 Pro, Nvidia 2080 Ti, i7-9700k, 16GB RAM.

Actually, that's very interesting that its working fine on your system. My older rig has a GTX 980, too, and I still got slow performance on 1.03 but good performance on 1.04. My laptop has integrated graphics and runs fine on 1.03 so I assumed it was an issue with new cards. My Windows 7 machine with a GTX 670 runs 1.03 at solid 60 fps.

The v1.04 patch is for the Windows Vista operating system. If you are not using Vista (is anyone?) then the patch would serve no purpose. Here is the entire list of  changes from the 1.04 patch's ReadMe file:

"---------------------
v1.04 Changes
---------------------

* Added native Windows Vista support
 (Special thanks to Philip Culliton for diving into our ancient code to
figure out and fix the various issues introduced with Vista)"

As with you, the game runs fine on my Windows 10 system. 

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

You managed to get the correct onscreen dimensions using a widescreen monitor?  How did you manage that?

Hey Erwin! If you've picked up the GOG.com versions, they actually pre-include a customized ddraw.dll and a "dxcfg.exe" tool in the installation folder. If you run the dxcfg.exe, you can set it to preserve aspect ratio, choose to run it in a window, and use any resolution you choose. It also lets you set Anisotropic Filtering for textures and up to an 8x anti-aliasing setting.

In my personal experience, the GOG.com version already maintains aspect ratio with the defaults in that cfg tool, so...

If you're using a different version, I'll be a bit less helpful, buuut: if you have an nVidia card, there's a way to tell it to lock the aspect ratio instead of stretching to fit whenever it's displaying something at a resolution other than your native widescreen. In Windows' Control Panel, open the Nvidia Control Panel, and look under "Adjust desktop size and position" -- it'll be something like "Scaling Mode: Aspect Ratio."

There IS something similar for AMD cards and Intel chips with onboard video, but sadly I can't say off-hand how to find it exactly.

---

Steve et al, I can't tell you how happy I am to see CMx1 on GOG.com. Thanks for being cool with third party distribution in this case.

Regarding the 1.04 patch changes. Philip Culliton changed some of the DirectX calls to something that was better supported within video drivers that came out at the time of Windows Vista. The primary issue at the time was that as soon as you moved the camera (keyboard or mouse) the whole 3D window started to spin around endlessly (leaving 'window edge' artifacts that filled up the screen). Less than 6 months after the patch was released ATI/AMD and Nvidia both released updated drivers that made the patch unnecessary. However later driver releases (not just on Vista, but Windows 7 and later) caused some weird artifacting with AMD. If you had the 1.04 patch you didn't see these graphical artifacts. I can't remember off hand if some Nvidia drivers had issues that the 1.04 patch resolved (beyond the initial Vista issue).

• 4 years later...