Hard Cat Rules v2I - Simple to Use Command & Control Rules - UPDATED 01 JUNE 2022

13 hours ago, scrappie said:

Area Fire

I'm not sure I agree with how AF-2 is restricted.  Suppose a squad was split into 3 teams on a scouting patrol and 2 of the teams encountered a tentative contact in the same AS.  This rule would prevent the squad leader ordering these 2 teams to use area fire to suppress the tentative contact while the 3rd team to flanked the position (because more than one team has a sound contact in the same AS).  Instead I'd suggest folding AF-2 and AF-3 into one category of AF - Area Fire Controlled by Autonomous Unit Leader.  A squad on scouting patrol would then be an Autonomous Unit and could act independently of the PL.  Later in the battle, however, when the squad has rejoined the platoon, the PL would be the Autonomous Unit Leader, not the squad leader.

Well we can't cover every contingency.. but I see your point.  I am considering giving autonomous units/platoons etc. on a recon mission an exemption to the Area Fire rules as well.  They are a special case to be sure.

Bil

Okay, I have updated the Rules.. see the Initial Post to see the edits, or open the PDF, as this has also been updated.  This edit (version 2f) contains all of the edits made to the Attached Units and the Higher Echelon HQ and HQ Casualty rules... a few other minor clean up edits were made as well.

Bil

If there are no more comments or suggestions for these rules I will tentatively call them final for now and move on to play testing.  I have two games using these rules lined up , one with @IanL which won't start for a bit yet.

I wouldn't mind if a few of you wanted to give them a try and post back here with your results...  so pair up and give 'em a shot.

Once again, I have updated the rules with the new information on Higher HQs discussed today... I have updated the PDF and the images in the initial post

Other Edits: I adjusted the Area Fire Exception:

•  EXCEPTION:  independent squads (even split)/teams/vehicles performing a scouting mission are exempt from rules 3.b through 3.d
  • Formations (i.e. Recon Platoon/Company) performing a scouting mission AS A formation must still abide by these rules

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a small update to the Hard-Cat Rules.  Here is the PDF link for the rules (in case you want to download them).  The initial post has also been updated.

Version 2H Changes:

• Rule 4b.  Changed this from limit of two waypoints to only allowing orders within LOS of the unit.
  • Optional Rule 4d.  Changed this from limit of two waypoints to only allowing orders within LOS of the unit.

The purpose of this change is to more accurately reflect the intent of the rule, mainly to simulate hip-pocket orders at the very lowest level.. for example, a squad or team leader shouts "Move to that wall, fast!" 

Feel free to discuss.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Made the edit to fix the error that @Sgt.Squarehead pointed out... 

...also made a tweak to Rule 4.c.ii and what constitutes a scout team.  I got to thinking that not just any team can fill that role, and to keep players from using things like dismounted mortar or vehicle crews as scouts.  Let me know what you think.  Hard-Cat Rules PDF Link

Also updated the images and the link in the original post.

Bil

Hi @Bil Hardenberger,

I quite like this revision of the rules. The two waypoint limit seemed to me a bit arbitrary, given how micromanagement usually helps the TacAI to achieve better/happier outcomes.

I don't think it is invalid to use a dismounted mortar crew as regular infantry. Most countries train (and trained) their mortar crews as regular infantry, they have additional training that makes them special, but still should be capable of fighting if needs be. 

Drivers can be assumed to have basic training at least, but certainly sending them out by themselves, like some kind of 1980s action hero, is gamey and should be ruled out.

The rules are at a state that seems fit for trying - will try to covince my next PBEM opponent to give them a try.

15 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Hi @Bil Hardenberger,

I quite like this revision of the rules. The two waypoint limit seemed to me a bit arbitrary, given how micromanagement usually helps the TacAI to achieve better/happier outcomes.

I don't think it is invalid to use a dismounted mortar crew as regular infantry. Most countries train (and trained) their mortar crews as regular infantry, they have additional training that makes them special, but still should be capable of fighting if needs be. 

Drivers can be assumed to have basic training at least, but certainly sending them out by themselves, like some kind of 1980s action hero, is gamey and should be ruled out.

The rules are at a state that seems fit for trying - will try to covince my next PBEM opponent to give them a try.

Totally agree about mortar crews. They ARE infantry, albeit with additional skills. Same with Bradley crews, guess how much infantry training they get? Exactly as much as the grunts who ride around in the back. They both share the same Military Occupational Specialty. That Sergeant who's in charge of the grunts next promotion will make him a Bradley commander. 

7 hours ago, Splinty said:

Totally agree about mortar crews. They ARE infantry, albeit with additional skills. Same with Bradley crews, guess how much infantry training they get? Exactly as much as the grunts who ride around in the back. They both share the same Military Occupational Specialty. That Sergeant who's in charge of the grunts next promotion will make him a Bradley commander. 

I had WW2 in my mind when I wrote the above. You are completely right re: contemporary mechanized infantry.

• 9 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 1:37 AM, Bil Hardenberger said:

This thread is an offshoot of the Co-op AAR that @IanL and I have ongoing in the CMFS 2 forum.  In that game we tested a set of realism rules we called the Hard Cat Rules.

Well I have been doing a lot of talking about perhaps adding some rule additions to that basic set and got some great feedback and ideas along the way.  What follows are my extended rules, my intent was to maintain ease of use, and the basic rules fit on one standard page, so they can easily be printed out and referred to during play.  My main goal was to create the feeling of Command and Control without overwhelming the players with spreadsheets or writing stuff down (like my previous attempt).  

I am looking for feedback and suggestions with these, if you think they are too complex tell me why.. if they don't make sense to you  let me know, etc.

Here are the basic rules - a formatted PDF Version available at this link This PDF includes all of the latest additions (version 2H) - UPDATED 15APR20

Click the image to see full size.

Hard-Cat+Rules+v2H-01.png

The following Advanced or Optional Rules also fit on one page, they are on page two of the PDF linked above. 

Hard-Cat+Rules+v2H-02.png

Click the image to see full size.

No Borg Spotting for artillery and aircraft (helicopters). I make sure that the observers have at least a contact icon where they want to call a fire mission. I call 'Borg Spotting' what I see on the screen when nothing is selected. 

Thanks for these rules! Excellent.

For my purposes, I'll be using the following to make scenarios vs. the AI more challenging in WeGo.

In a nutshell:

- No area fire unless in command and HQ has LOS to area

- No movement outside LOS area unless in command

- Scouting teams excepted

Back in the day when playing CMx1 games there was something called Franko' Rules (I think) that, among other things, limited your view to level 1 (ground level) when plotting moves and level 7 (eagle's eye) to be used as if it were a physical map, forbidding all other viewing levels since they are impossible in RL.

I sometimes tried to use them but often sent vehicles harmlessly wandering in various directions and ended up with a headache! ;)

FRANKO'S TRUE COMBAT RULES

SELECTING UNITS

Use "+" or "-" keys to move from friendly unit to friendly unit. Then, use the "tab" key. You can then only rotate in place to scan the surrounding terrain.

If there is friendly unit within the line of sight (LOS) of the unit you have currently selected, you do not have to use the + and - keys. Instead, you can simply point and click on that target unit, THEN hit the tab key. Any other way of accessing an enemy unit is forbidden.

PANNING After accessing the unit and hitting the tab key(which orients the view of the unit forward), you can only "look around" by using the pivot keys (1,3,7,9) on the keypad. BUILDINGS If a unit icon (such as vehicle), blocks your view, you can use the "8" key to click ahead only such distance which is necessary to clear the sprite. ELEVATED VIEWS

Once turns begin (after setup), you may use only the lowest-level view ("1" on the keyboard), unless the following apply:

A. If your unit occupies are a two-level building, you may use View 2

B. If you are on the top floor of a church, you can use View 2 or View 3, whichever you prefer

ENEMY UNITS You may not "click on" or "select" an enemy unit. Use the "N" key to select targets. ZOOM KEYS

You may not use the "zoom key" (the brackets), unless:

A. You may use up to Zoom 2x if you're unit you are "looking from" is platoon leader or above.

B. Your unit may use up to Zoom 4x if it has optics (e.g, an artillery observer, an AT gun, a tank). Buttoned tanks or tanks that suffered casualties can only use up to zoom 4x in the direction of their turret facing, because, that's where the gunners optics are facing! American tanks may not be able to zoom at all.

WEATHER You must always have weather and fog set to "full" SPECIAL SETUP RULES

The following setup rules apply depending on whether you are the attacker, defender, or if the battle is a meeting engagement.

Attacker: During setup you may use View Level 7 to aid in setup, in addition to the views you are permitted in Rules 1, 2, or 3, above. This "attacker's map" rule represents the "map" your troop commander would use to help prepare your troops for the assault.

Defender: During setup you can use the map rule, above, if your signal corps has its act together. In addition, you can freely move about the map in level 1, or view level 2 (or 3, if a church) if that part of the map your viewing from is a multi-level building

Meeting Engagements: Both sides may only view using the Attacker's map rule, or from any spot in their setup zone (only). Again, if a spot in their setup zone has a church or building, adjust accordingly.

OPTIONAL RULE During setup you may print out a map (by taking a screen shot and printing the .bmp file) for use during the battle. This map should be at the minimum View Level 7. GAME SETTINGS Use only "Realistic" Sized units. Always have "full terrain" on. Turn unit bases and detailed armored hits "off". Generally speaking, use only those feature that the troops could use. Needless to say, Fog of War is ALWAYS set to FULL!

Here is the link to Fionn Kelly's rules he developed for CM1 in case they are helpful:

https://combatmission.fandom.com/wiki/House_Rules

And...   Also...  SMOPES "True Combat Rules":

Edited by Erwin

On 4/17/2020 at 5:42 AM, BletchleyGeek said:

I had WW2 in my mind when I wrote the above. You are completely right re: contemporary mechanized infantry.

That's where the qualifications come in. Regular and above should be able to handle infantry support weapons. Green and below not enough experience or not completed training. 

Yes, even when I play single player scenarios, I play as if I were in the field. Target acquisition through 'borg spotting' a no, armor should have their hatch open in proximity of friendly infantry, so they share their C2 intel. The reason you get a far more interesting and rewarding game. Signs you do borg spotting using the LOS tool excessively and the no LOS sign pops up. See it on YouTube most of the time. It is a waste of time. No rule is a good rule, I disagree with made up rules. Your weapon is your computer. Player A challenges Player B to a PBM game. Here is what Player A can do. Set up rules and make it irrelevant. He has more experience and knows he can reload the scenario. The rule two turn/day by mail. After he reloads the game and plays on Hotseat against himself. A thousand rules mean nothing if you're willing to kid yourself. 

Rule No 7 restricts a squad. He is momentarily out of contact. They are doing a flanking maneuver on the other side of the building. I end my assault move with a cover arc around a suspected enemy to enable to use their grenades. It just interferes with battle drills which are micromanaged.

assaultg.jpg

assaulth.jpg