Jump to content

Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread


Recommended Posts

Yes sorry my blame I mean the new game of course...

@37mm¿Do he has revealing something?

Yes nothing is lost from yours job @Sgt.Squarehead and @37mmand will take really his place with the new Game !

😆 today is really a day who nobodys can stop to give a little of himself...

Thanks to follow my special wish cos CMCW give already a good oportunity with the TOE, and I am sure to see later more addons East Germ, Brit... really something that we were waiting for... !

 

Edited by 3j2m7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The mod package is for scenarios set in a fictional country. Either way, here's another look at what we've come up with so far...  

Inspired by the work of @Zveroboy1 on the ANA, I decided to try out a few things with the Syrian Airborne. This is the result... It's rudimentary at the moment & with many plac

@Sgt.Squarehead - as I've said before I think, stop noodling around with your stuff.  There comes a point where chasing the 1% is counter-productive.  Tidy them all up, write the briefings and square

Posted Images

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

v260ETH.png

Textures need tweaking - crappy tin roofs, etc. - but that beat up cement bus shelter is about perfect for a shanty dwelling.

marawi-bridges-july-28-2017.jpg

marawi-aerial-060817.jpg?ext=.jpg

step4-mb.png

 

Edited by LongLeftFlank
Sheer madness
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

I will not get sucked into a Battle of Marawi reconstruction

v260ETH.png

Textures need tweaking - crappy tin roofs, etc. - but that beat up cement bus shelter is about perfect for a shanty dwelling.

marawi-bridges-july-28-2017.jpg

marawi-aerial-060817.jpg?ext=.jpg

step4-mb.png

 

I was sure we can  count on you and trust you to build this town 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for 37mm as he must have already put in thousands of hours into this project trying to adapt the more modern CMSF2 units, and now CMCW comes along with the more correct looking units.  Hope he doesn't have to redo everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I feel bad for 37mm as he must have already put in thousands of hours into this project trying to adapt the more modern CMSF2 units, and now CMCW comes along with the more correct looking units.  Hope he doesn't have to redo everything.

I doubt its thousands... either way don't feel bad.

The m48a3 was made by @Aquila-SmartWargames ... it did not take him long to perform his wizardry.

The M113 ACAV did take me a while (and I went through several versions) but it was a necessary learning experience (and ultimately led to the PBR model).

Most of the other stuff was borrowed from CMA or the WW2 games & didn't take that long.

Our M79 model will still be needed.

Uniform mods were mostly done back in the early days & are still mostly unique.

 

Content creation has been, by far, the most time consuming part* of the Heaven & Earth project &, because of engine differences, likely none of that content will be transferred to the new cold war game.

As for any future H&E2 built on the CMCW game... H&E's voices, effects, UI, sounds, terrain, modular buildings, most [tags] & concepts are all transferrable so no time wasted.

CMCW's better optimized (and larger) tree's, more varied weather & more appropriate vehicles & TOE will be a boon... but do come with the loss of things like insurgent forces, UAV's & ditches (which we can flood in CMSF2).

As @LongLeftFlank helps points out, H&E for CMSF2 will always be able to provide content creators with a ready made starting point for scenarios set in modern times.

All in all, that means H&E for CMSF2 will always be unique.

 

 

*Just finished the briefings on four single scenarios this afternoon, the "People's Beta" may be days away from release.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Content creation has been, by far, the most time consuming part* of the Heaven & Earth project &, because of engine differences, likely none of that content will be transferred to the new cold war game.

That is what I was concerned about.    Glad you are upbeat about it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

6lZozrL.png

Whose 's***hole country' mod are we using today?

But really @LongLeftFlankyou know that in my text there is always a little true, and for sure I don t doubt to your capacity, or to the others also, the past tell us already, and I can only encourage you !

I am always a little sarcastic in my talk, but when the pain is there is not the same, I thinks we are pushing ourself, BFC to created what we would like to see ! 

But like @37mm nothing is lost only the TIME that HE put on so sorry for this ! 

 

Content creation has been, by far, the most time consuming part* of the Heaven & Earth project &, because of engine differences, likely none of that content will be transferred to the new cold war game.

As for any future H&E2 built on the CMCW game... H&E's voices, effects, UI, sounds, terrain, modular buildings, most [tags] & concepts are all transferrable so no time wasted.

CMCW's better optimized (and larger) tree's, more varied weather & more appropriate vehicles & TOE will be a boon... but do come with the loss of things like insurgent forces, UAV's & ditches (which we can flood in CMSF2).

As @LongLeftFlank helps points out, H&E for CMSF2 will always be able to provide content creators with a ready made starting point for scenarios set in modern times.

All in all, that means H&E for CMSF2 will always be unique.

Edited by 3j2m7
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Combatintman said:

With 'A miserable damn performance' (Ap Bac) I hope?

Your "A damning & miserable performance" is billed as the main event.

Minimize & Glacier II (now dubbed 'Thuan An Fort') have also been converted into single scenario's & sit alongside the Green 9 & Operation Barras conversions from the Open Beta.

I've also slightly tweaked Thunder Run (CMIC House) & redesigned Into the City (Qarmat Ali 1) for the urban campaign and repurposed a portion of your Kham Duc map for one of the scenario's (Freedom IIRC) of the concept People's Militia campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Your "A damning & miserable performance" is billed as the main event.

Minimize & Glacier II (now dubbed 'Thuan An Fort') have also been converted into single scenario's & sit alongside the Green 9 & Operation Barras conversions from the Open Beta.

I've also slightly tweaked Thunder Run (CMIC House) & redesigned Into the City (Qarmat Ali 1) for the urban campaign and repurposed a portion of your Kham Duc map for one of the scenario's (Freedom IIRC) of the concept People's Militia campaign.

My text don t seem to move anybody's to this thread, so I do something wrong I don't know ??!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, 37mm said:

I doubt its thousands... either way don't feel bad.

The m48a3 was made by @Aquila-SmartWargames ... it did not take him long to perform his wizardry.

The M113 ACAV did take me a while (and I went through several versions) but it was a necessary learning experience (and ultimately led to the PBR model).

Most of the other stuff was borrowed from CMA or the WW2 games & didn't take that long.

Our M79 model will still be needed.

Uniform mods were mostly done back in the early days & are still mostly unique.

 

Content creation has been, by far, the most time consuming part* of the Heaven & Earth project &, because of engine differences, likely none of that content will be transferred to the new cold war game.

As for any future H&E2 built on the CMCW game... H&E's voices, effects, UI, sounds, terrain, modular buildings, most [tags] & concepts are all transferrable so no time wasted.

CMCW's better optimized (and larger) tree's, more varied weather & more appropriate vehicles & TOE will be a boon... but do come with the loss of things like insurgent forces, UAV's & ditches (which we can flood in CMSF2).

As @LongLeftFlank helps points out, H&E for CMSF2 will always be able to provide content creators with a ready made starting point for scenarios set in modern times.

All in all, that means H&E for CMSF2 will always be unique.

 

 

*Just finished the briefings on four single scenarios this afternoon, the "People's Beta" may be days away from release.

I love the fact that you’re still using CMA assets since I just got back into CMA. It’s definitely a slept on game.

Question: I feel like I read up on this awhile ago but I don’t remember. Is it possible to make a second copy of SF2 and have it solely devoted to your mod? Going back and forth between your mod and it’s pack and the modern SF2 mods becomes a pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, 37mm said:

I doubt its thousands... either way don't feel bad.

The m48a3 was made by @Aquila-SmartWargames ... it did not take him long to perform his wizardry.

It was no big deal, I recommend to replace it with the CMCW model.

I wasn´t around here for some time. The new People´s Beta will include a new campaign is that correct?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HowMuchForYou? said:

Was the difficulty ramped up in this version? This seems way harder than before. 2nd Battle of Ikke I lose all 3 of my boats on my way to support my infantry. The big green one blows up almost immediately spawning in.

It should be significantly easier... there was no third boat in the original for instance.

I never once had the boats come under immediate fire & they always made it to the bridge area... so unless I've accidentally changed something last minute I'm left very confused by your experience.

I'll playtest it a few more times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok i replayed the mission. Its the SPG in the white 2 story building on the left of the road making Olympic level shots across the lake. Hit the same big green boat first again. Id upload the pics but the files are too big to post.

Maybe if I move my boats along the right side of the lake instead of the left?

EDIT: The right side worked out way better.

Edited by HowMuchForYou?
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Very much enjoying playing through Major Nguyens campaign plus a couple of scenarios.  It is very refreshing to have a new environment to play in with new units.  

While I will buy the new Red Thunder module, I can't say am looking forward to it that much as it seems like more of the same.  Have not much interest in Cold War, but I think the new European environment will be fun - although presumably it's the same terrain as one gets in all the WW2 titles/scenarios set in the same region, so...    

I appreciate what 37mm and anyone else who worked on H&E have accomplished.  

BTW:  With my normal volume setting I found the walking sounds very quiet so have replaced em with louder ones that I was using elsewhere.  However, I was surprised to see that you have "walk on snow" sound bmp's.  Is there snow in H&E?

And also, I put in the rain forest jungle sounds that I think were made for an Africa mod.  It's fun to hear the squawks of parrots and other jungle sounds etc.

Edited by Erwin
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Erwin said:

With my normal volume setting I found the walking sounds very quiet so have replaced em with louder ones that I was using elsewhere.  However, I was surprised to see that you have "walk on snow" sound bmp's.  Is there snow in H&E?

And also, I put in the rain forest jungle sounds that I think were made for an Africa mod.  It's fun to hear the squawks of parrots and other jungle sounds etc.

Thanks Erwin!

I intend to eventually fully port the ME soundscape into all games (CMFI is next... so many voices) , including those with snow.

Play around with the sounds to your heart desire, I've made all non combat sounds are much quieter than normal (footsteps included... although I, personally, think they're still a bit too loud when you get close to your pixeltruppen).

However, by expanding the "dynamic range" in this manner, you can actually play the game with louder volume settings & thereby experience really intense combat sounds.

Still these things are inherently subjective.

 

I was hoping to figure out a way to do a proper "triple canopy jungle" [tag] which would have a much more 'junglier' ambience... but all my experiments in this regard have failed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For nighttime, I found an atmospheric crickets wav sound am now using.

What am unsure about is if am getting the full effect of the bamboo buildings and jungle foliage.  I took out my usual CMSF2 mod folder completely to desktop, so the only folder in the mods folder is the H&E folder.  But, it seems that mostly I see regular trees with some palmtrees thrown in, and some of the single buildings still look like Syria.  I don't see (so far) thatched roofs etc.  

The other thing I noticed (that you probably already know) is that the rear of the MG on the IFV mod sticks thru the head of the gunner.  Also, I nearly always get the force-specific pic of the 3 Vietnamese marines (#1) crouching by the roadside, occasionally I get the damaged tank (#3), very rarely do I get #2.  Am puzzled why it's not more randomly even.

Re the earlier in-game pics you showed of riverine vessels and the M-48(?) etc.  Which scenarios or campaigns do those appear in?

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Re the earlier in-game pics you showed of riverine vessels and the M-48(?) etc.  Which scenarios or campaigns do those appear in?

Major Nguyens Command has relatively few building/terrain changes... maybe that's what you're seeing?

M48's &/or Riverine vessels make a number of appearances in "The 2nd Battle of Ikke", "Major Nguyens Command" & "The Special War".

A Riverine vessel also makes a surprise appearance in one of the scenarios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:22 AM, 37mm said:

Major Nguyens Command has relatively few building/terrain changes... maybe that's what you're seeing?

Probably.

BTW:  I found the units acting a little odd.  I had inf with a clear view of enemy inf at close range and my guys wouldn't fire. 

Also, it isn't clear, does one get any artillery resupply?  The rocket arty is very inaccurate and I only had between 14 and 40 shells available at each of the 3 batteries.  

Also, I guess my BTR's and "SUV" took crew casualties in the previous missions.  It seems that unless all seats are full one cannot drive or target at anything with the BTR's.  Not getting replacements is tough as well.

 

 

********** SPOILERS **********

 

 

The "at start" inf, and vehicles (opened up for better vis) moved carefully up the road.  Inf got shot by enemy practicals.  The BTR that has 2 crew so it can target shot up a couple.  When the Major arrived I sent him and his BMP up to help the BTR's and inf on the road.  But, later on both BTR's were KIA (along with both FO's), I don't know by what.  

The tank platoon I sent to the right hand hill as that would provide covering fire for the road and most objectives, also there is a big trench up there that would be good for enemy ambushers.  The tanks cleared out the trench, but one was immobilized.

The Co tank went up the road, but got KIA near the first road objective.  Again, I didn't see by what.  Also the at start inf mostly KIA or panicked by now.

The rocket arty seems pretty useless due to inaccuracy  I found this mission to be hard and may have to restart.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Probably.

BTW:  I found the units acting a little odd.  I had inf with a clear view of enemy inf at close range and my guys wouldn't fire. 

Also, it isn't clear, does one get any artillery resupply?  The rocket arty is very inaccurate and I only had between 14 and 40 shells available at each of the 3 batteries.  

Also, I guess my BTR's and "SUV" took crew casualties in the previous missions.  It seems that unless all seats are full one cannot drive or target at anything with the BTR's.  Not getting replacements is tough as well.

The "short, sharp rocket barrages" are the same in every mission you get them, similiar to the Hind-D's in the original campaign I wouldn't expect that much from them other than a lot of noise... I usually amass them all on one target.

Just like the original, the campaign can be damn tricky... however there are multiple campaign paths* so a defeat may not be terminal (indeed it may open up missions you could never otherwise play).

With multiple AI plans for each mission the campaign was designed to be replayed.

 

 

* I know @Fredrock1957 made a campaign path map... but I could never find it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...