Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

I've made a number of requests for map makers/scenario makers throughout this thread and I will do so again.

If anybody is interested in helping us create content for the public release then don't hesitate to send me a PM.

That would include you too @Boche 😉

Edited by 37mm

12 hours ago, Boche said:

@Combatintman Coincidentally Ive been playing the old Vietcong and that got me reading into the Lang Vei SF Camp battle,  and thought of this mod...and the area seems doable to do as a master map...thought id give it a go.

I've looked at it too … I reckon there's a Red Force Khe Sanh campaign in it along these lines:

Battle 1 = Hill 881

Battle 2 = Lang Vei

Battle 3 = Hill 661

Battle 4 = Khe Sanh Village & District HQ Compound

Battle 5 = Khe Sanh Airfield

The aim would be to make it representative rather than an actual recreation of Khe Sanh because to do it for real would involve huge numbers of troops. So the core units would be two NVA Regiments. One Regiment would attack from the West and would fight Battles 1, 3  and 5 and the other Regiment would attack from the South and fight battles 2, 4 and 5. It would work something like this:

Battle 1, 1 Bn/1 Regt.

Battle 2, 1 Bn/2 Regt.

Battle 3, 2 Bn/1 Regt

Battle 4, 2 Bn/2 Regt

Battle 5 would involve 3 Bn, 1 Regt and 3 Bn, 2 Regt as the core units. The player is also given the choice of which of the battalions from the earlier missions to add to this battle via a decision mission. The premise being that they will pick the bn from each regiment that incurred the fewest losses in Battles 1-4. The battalion in each regiment that incurred the highest losses would notionally be a reserve or sent to a blocking position. So for example:

Battle 1, 1 Bn/1 Regt suffers 50% casualties.

Battle 2, 1 Bn/2 Regt suffers 50% casualties.

Battle 3, 2 Bn/1 Regt suffers 40% casualties.

Battle 4, 2 Bn/2 Regt suffers 60% casualties.

The player in the decision mission selects 2 Bn/1 Regt and 1 Bn/2 Regt for Battle 5. Forces for Battle 5 would therefore be:

2 Bn/1 Regt at 60% CE

3 Bn/1 Regt at 100% CE

1 Bn/2 Regt at 50% CE

3 Bn/2 Regt at 100% CE

This of course is only a rough conceptual sketch so there would be nuances reflecting actual events such as NVA armour at Lang Vei, with possible options to commit it to the Khe Sanh Village battle and the Khe Sanh Airfield battle.

I think this would be a relative cinch to make because, with the exception of Khe Sanh airfield, the maps wouldn't be massive and the two hilltop battles would be a doddle (ie a hill covered with trees with a cleared area on top with trenches, barbed wire and minefields. I'd be surprised if each of those took more than a couple of days to put together. Lang Vei again should be not much more than a 1500m x 1500m map with a bunch of trees and a fortified compound. Khe Sanh Village would be about that size or smaller and would be a bit more complex but not excessively so. The big map would be Khe Sanh airfield which I reckon would be a 2.5 x 2km map and some jiggery pokery would be involved with the road and runway orientation but I've had a pretty good look at it and I think its doable.

The 1:50,000 map sheet is Series L7014 Sheet 6342 III Huong Hoa and you can get it here:

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/vietnam/huong_hoa-6342-3.pdf

Places I've referred to on the map can be found at the following grids:

48Q XD 8036 = Lang Vei

48Q XD 8538 = Khe Sanh Village

48Q XD 8441 = Khe Sanh Airfield

48Q XD 776437 = Hill 881

48Q XD 803443 = Hill 661

Just rough thoughts of course but I think it is achievable and @37mmhappy to discuss ...

Edited by Combatintman

Sounds good. I can get started on the lang Vei part...

I can maanage the contours atleast and finish that soon. Thanks for the sources!

Good thing about Lang Vei there seems to be alot of photos and maps on how the camp was organized. Ill probably make the map bigger just to fit my own plans for the map but it can always be scaled down to fit the campaign :)

Edited by Boche

A compilation video of various experiments*...

... I can say that we're going to have to go that 'worst case scenario' we spoke of Sarge with regards propellor aircraft sounds.

*Not all Heaven & Earth related (I was also playing around with reshade, resolution settings, the 'movie mode' & Nvidia inspector).

Edited by 37mm

4 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Nice map mate … 😉

You would know, lol!

I do like to "christen" & showcase good work... although at this point I'm starting to think I should change my avatar from "37mm" to "Combatintmans official fan bois" as that's my sixth video featuring your work (and let's not ignore that, so far, I've identified six of your scenarios as 'H&E conversion' candidates).

Took me ages to cut it down to size though... I only needed a 1km by 1km piece for the experiments.

14 hours ago, 37mm said:

... I can say that we're going to have to go that 'worst case scenario' we spoke of Sarge with regards propellor aircraft sounds.

That's a shame.  :(

Still, it wouldn't feel right if we didn't at least offer 'Spads' as an option.....I reckon the current version sounds pretty good.  B)

PS - The helicopter rotor sounds may be an issue though, those all sound like multiple blades, whereas most vietnam types used a twin blade rotor which has a distinct sound:

The video below is quite useful as it has both twin-blade (4:05) & four-blade (4:30) AH-1 variants for comparison:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - The helicopter rotor sounds may be an issue though, those all sound like multiple blades, whereas most vietnam types used a twin blade rotor which has a distinct sound:

The video below is quite useful as it has both twin-blade (4:05) & four-blade (4:30) AH-1 variants for comparison:

Propeller grogs... only on the Battlefront forums!

From what I can tell, there's a slight pitch & tempo difference... rather than collecting scores of new Helicopter sounds I'll try out a "quick fix" & just slightly change the pitch & speed of the sounds we do have en masse.

7 hours ago, 37mm said:

You would know, lol!

I do like to "christen" & showcase good work... although at this point I'm starting to think I should change my avatar from "37mm" to "Combatintmans official fan bois" as that's my sixth video featuring your work (and let's not ignore that, so far, I've identified six of your scenarios as 'H&E conversion' candidates).

Took me ages to cut it down to size though... I only needed a 1km by 1km piece for the experiments.

All good - I'll need another pass at the map because your video reminded me that I need to Alt Click the building facades to swap the ornate window frames for less fancy and more appropriate for peasant hut ones.

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

All good - I'll need another pass at the map because your video reminded me that I need to Alt Click the building facades to swap the ornate window frames for less fancy and more appropriate for peasant hut ones.

0.91 will be ready very soon & I know I changed the building "details" so you might want to hang fire on that.

17 minutes ago, 37mm said:

0.91 will be ready very soon & I know I changed the building "details" so you might want to hang fire on that.

No I need to do them - I was conscious of it when I was putting the map together, the later buildings should be good, but the initial ones I plonked down will need some Alt Click love … when I've finished this map of course …

647533143_SonTayBW.jpg.895a38412435bb74194e051c2387adbe.jpg

Edited by Combatintman

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Son Tay ................. interesting.  Operation Ivory Coast?  :ph34r:

Possibly 😉... I've also heard it called Operation KINGPIN (page 441 onwards at the link below (flipping slow download btw)):

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a269484.pdf

But yes we are talking about the same thing … should be a breeze doing this one after the Op NEPTUNE SPEAR mission