Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

On 5/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, 37mm said:

I can't see why not... alpha channel the helmets & I think it would leave the heads underneath exposed (alternatively we could use some tanker gear/berets).

Face bitmaps have a full head of hair on them.

How do you do this alpha channel ting? Is it something everyone can do, like making new skins, or does it require specific programs? 

27 minutes ago, puje said:

How do you do this alpha channel ting? Is it something everyone can do, like making new skins, or does it require specific programs? 

Alpha channel is the tranparence "color" of certain files like  .png... files are composed from  red, green and blue channel colours  this is a fourth channel colours...

My answer is probably not exactly explicitly but I  hope to give you a short overview to your question.

3 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Alpha channel is the tranparence "color" of certain files like  .png... files are composed from  red, green and blue channel colours  this is a fourth channel colours...

My answer is probably not exactly explicitly but I  hope to give you a short overview to your question.

Okay I know about tranparence in pngs. But since the game files are BMP and can't be transparent, I guess that's beyond my knowledge to mess with. 

Edited by puje

41 minutes ago, puje said:

Okay I know about tranparence in pngs. But since the game files are BMP and can't be transparent, I guess that's beyond my knowledge to mess with. 

For my part I use the net paint program I save my files in png and resume in BMP with the program greenfish, is perhaps much job but for what I want to do I am happy with...
there is certainly a function to add an alpha channel in paint net, to speak only of this one, but personally for the time like I tell you I am happy with ... to be more professional I use photoshop or lightroom for photos that requires more precisions ... it remains to see what you want to do ... voili voilou !

Edited by 3j2m7

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

I've only managed to get a fraction of what's needed done but it's enough for a bit of a teaser..

Very nice , CM need a Vietnam campaign. Do you know if would be possible modify weapons in CM? , thos us troops look like very realistic if its possible add them M16 ( at least M16 a4 from USMC module) , i can imagine create M16a1 would be impossible. Anyway as i can remember i think in CM Afghanistan would be some M16a1 models maybe on the Taliban side.

Firstly, we can't really do Vietnam.....As you can see from @37mm's video, we can get something that looks superficially similar, but technology has moved on and none of the forces available in the base game are ideal.

However, we (or rather @37mm) can swap weapon models and textures.....Your men will appear to wear US style helmets and use many US weapons, but they are actually still using the default weapon underneath, it's all purely visual. 

Here are some of the units in the current iteration of the mod:

BHSFB Special Forces.....The best of the best:

o8EAUHr.jpg

"Ki-Rin" Battalion Bong-Hai Royal Guard.....The personal guard of the (extensive) royal family:

gb1El23.jpg

Bong-Hai 3rd Cavalry Brigade (also available in motorised & air cavalry form).....Best of the regulars:

wl6U4Gx.jpg

As you can see, they appear to have all manner of interesting guns (& some interesting vehicles too).....But if you check the ammo panel you'll notice they are oddly chambered!  ;)

PS - My personal Bong-Hai is set in the very late eighties to early nineties.....But that doesn't mean yours has to be:

aTwU0sR.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, 37mm said:

I've only managed to get a fraction of what's needed done but it's enough for a bit of a teaser..  

+1.  Wow, you are really talented with mods.  Very cool.  

What unit did you mod to get the Viet Cong (Or whatever name you are calling the dudes in the black uniforms)?  Were those originally fighters?  Nice to see gable roofs in CMSF2!!  

Love it is very very interresting  thumb in the air for all this job for the time to the peoples having created this untill now... a lot of ideas for futures periods of mods... if only we could modding not existing, or replacing somes vehicles... we could created  differents historical periods, and see my incredible hope to see the m48  m60 Centurion Chieftain merkava...  let me dream...hope with the new cm3 will bring us something news and modulable...  sorry i let me go... sigh !!

Edited by 3j2m7

4 hours ago, puje said:

You can make transparent BMP's.

I use a program (designed for children!) called Pixelformer for most of my work/experiments.

3 hours ago, Panthera283 said:

Very nice , CM need a Vietnam campaign. Do you know if would be possible modify weapons in CM? , thos us troops look like very realistic if its possible add them M16 ( at least M16 a4 from USMC module) , i can imagine create M16a1 would be impossible. Anyway as i can remember i think in CM Afghanistan would be some M16a1 models maybe on the Taliban side.

Already done for Syrian Airborne/Special forces (check out the first vid in this thread).

As Squarehead points out we CAN'T do Vietnam hence why we've decided to do a, suspiciously similiar, looking war (and its aftermath) centered on & around a fictional country.

However I will disagree with Squaredhead that it will only be superficially similiar.

At the gun enthusiast/military FPS scale, I'm sure the differences between a 5.45mm AK-74 & a 5.56mm M-16a1 are many & significant... however, at CM's scale, I doubt the differences are any more noticeable than being out of position by a few metres when the firefight begins or even a single alteration to a units soft factors.

I/we intend to povide you many of the tactical conundrums, situations, terrain & atmosphere that the real Vietnam War produced... at least as much as is possible whilst using a 21st century Desert War simulator like CMSF2.

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1.  Wow, you are really talented with mods.  Very cool.  

What unit did you mod to get the Viet Cong (Or whatever name you are calling the dudes in the black uniforms)?  Were those originally fighters?  Nice to see gable roofs in CMSF2!!  

They are combatants... model swapped with spies... who are then given Asian faces, Asian voices, Type-56 AK's (from CMA) & re-coloured fighter uniforms.

I will grant that I can be pretty industrious & innovative when using mods.

14 minutes ago, 37mm said:

I will grant that I can be pretty industrious & innovative when using mods.

Yes.....Yes you can!  :D

18 minutes ago, 37mm said:

However I will disagree with Squaredhead that it will only be superficially similiar.

I'm being a bit of a purist there, TBH with careful force selection things can be made to look pretty convincing (I now understand why you re-skinned Combatants that way too, having already done the Fighters).....It's all about the RPGs for the 'Early Period' isn't it?  :ph34r:

Nice move.  B)

On 6/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

Do uncon fighters really benefit from the civilian density parameter? I could have sworn they didn't.

Someone should tag the knowledgeable kerbal fellow.

Uncon Combatants do, Uncon Fighters do not.

Spies and (to a much lesser extent) VBIEDs do as well, but civilian transport and technicals don't.

Edited by domfluff

13 hours ago, 37mm said:

You can make transparent BMP's.

I use a program (designed for children!) called Pixelformer for most of my work/experiments.

Oh okay, I like to try and get into it.

You wouldn't have an example of earlier work CM I could study, would you? 

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

Impressive work, guys.  100% accuracy is less important than the feel and the visuals imo. "Verisimilitude."

Cheers dude.....TBH @37mm is the driving force here, I'm just making maps and some eye candy for your perusal. 

I'm about a third to half way through scripting the AI for the first scenario (more or less what you see above, but with a few tweaks to deal with the usual AI issues).

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are you sure?  :unsure:

I recall you ere running some tests, so I'm intrigued to know the outcome.

Yeah, positive.

If you set up two groups, one Fighter and one Combatant opposite a US Squad with heaviest density, and don't move anyone, the Fighters will be spotted within the first turn.

That means the role of Fighters is mostly their better average soft factors and their better equipment - otherwise they fight like conventional forces, albeit unconventionally organised.