I hope this Is not a New Bug.

I've seen friendly fire happen a lot in these games when it's at night or dawn/dusk. I've seen squads hose down multiple friendly vehicles like that so I don't think it's a bug. The tank commander really should've buttoned up though. There are rounds cracking just a few inches away from his head. It's not like he would know where they are coming from. In real life he would simply hear a loud CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK right next to his head and he would instantly duck down out of reflex. I've always thought tank commanders are too slow to button up in these games.

I've had guys get killed by friendly small arms fire as well. One time I had a guy crouching next to a hedgerow and he was hosed down by a long burst from a friendly tank at close range. It was at night, there was no other shooting going on anywhere on the map, and no enemies nearby for hundreds of meters. The tank just opened up on its own and killed him out of the blue. In retrospect it might have been a ricochet off the hedgerow berm that actually killed him since other people say that only ricochets can kill friendlies it seems. It was hard to tell though as he was killed almost instantly in a hail of bullets. I suppose it's possible that one of the first bullets passed through him harmlessly, hit the berm, then immediately jumped back and killed him within a split second.

55 minutes ago, Canada Guy said:

My understanding is that small arms fire does not cause friendly casualties. HE, arty, etc. will - so anything that explodes but not projectiles from friendly fire.

In general you are correct. Ricochets can cause casualties (what happened with the Panther here) and some players recently discovered that if a unit does not see friendlies they can cause friendly fire casualties. Which is much more common in low visibility situations - hence the examples.

Once I had a halftrack shooting at a tank from a distance and the shells hit a treetop below which two squadrons were hiding. The result was a few losses of friendlies. Friendly fire can also happen if you request an emergency artillery barrage. The artillery crew doesn't have much of direction where exactly the shells should fall so they just send them away with the result that they can land almost anywhere.

Edited by BornGinger