Sgt.Squarehead's CM:A Stuff

Still faffing with the briefing (Did I ever mention that I hate writing those? :rolleyes: ).....For what is esentially a very simple scenario on a slighty modified stock map, there's quite a lot of information to convey. 

You see not all of your forces are outside the town, you have some.....Well, you can read all about it in the briefing, when it's done.  ;)

41 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Recent reports suggest that 'Winter Of Discontent' does not lend itself well to Real-Time play, there's quite a lot going on once the battle heats up (you have a weakened battalion at your disposal) and it's easy to overlook things.

Many thanks to @3j2m7 for your help.  B)

always a pleasure !

• 6 months later...

I sometimes wonder why, but I'm still making CM:A stuff, slowly (I still need someone to  give me some feedback on 'Winter Of Discontent', played in WeGo Mode, before I release it into the wild).....Anyhow, here's the latest project:

elEfgel.jpg

It's big & it's Blue, but I will probably need some help to get it right in due course (I'm still scripting and testing right now).....If being heavily shelled by the AI in the first turn is an issue for you, it's probably best not to volunteer!  :P

This is a Huge battle (by CM:A standards), but so far it is not suffering the Out Of Memory Error issues I've had with other CM:A projects with Win10.....We'll see how that goes as scripting proceeds.  :unsure:

'Abdul Gul's War' (Mujahideen Campaign) has been put on hold until my 'Heaven & Earth' campaign is done, essentially this scenario is one of the bigger battles designed for potential use in that campaign, adapted to compensate for Abdul Gul's absence.....Think of it as what might happen without him!  ;) 

I could still really use another volunteer to test this (Single Player, WeGo Turn Based):

KYeSYVd.jpg

7c9uvP6.jpg

sufypUD.jpg

CXI3P3y.jpg

od3W1hZ.jpg

It's fairly big, and fairly difficult.....I've had issues with Out Of Memory Errors on Win10, so it's probably worth saving at least every ten turns and exiting the game completely every thirty as this seems to mitigate the issue, for me at least.

If you would like to give it a go, please PM me for a link.

PS - There's no reason this shouldn't be played 2p HtH.....It's not been specifically balanced for such play and I would suspect Red would have a fairly big advantage, but not such a big advantage that an experienced and somewhat lucky Blue player could not overcome it.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 5/9/2019 at 11:49 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've finally got the big valley map to a point where I'm happy to use it as a 'master map', it takes a little while to load, but it's stable enough once it does:

XMOHISA.jpg

It's not quite as detailed as I'd like (CM:A Flavour Objects are not the easiest to place, the rocks really hate steep slopes, which is kind of unfortunate), but I've done my best with it.....I dread to think how many times I've clicked on tiny components of this map in preview mode!  :blink:

Here's some scenes of daily life in the valley.  ;)

The day starts early for the water sellers who, like almost everybody else, are forced to hire guards to protect them from bandits as they go about their business in this lawless province:

KjbjI3h.jpg

Before their shift at the local mine a group of workers and their guards enjoy a hearty breakfast of local produce:

PYphB3Z.jpg

A large consignment of ore is ready to be delivered to the refinery in a nearby city:

2D708Jz.jpg

Meanwhile, near the highway, a DRA Army convoy has stopped to refuel and gather fresh supplies for their journey.....The convoy commander engages in the timeless ritual of haggling with the locals over their scandalous prices:

dU3J9J9.jpg

Map can be found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsrzlgkxrv6yl2t/[Map] Afghan Highway Valley.btt?dl=0

This is a totally blank map, no AI, no setup zones, no labels.....Nothing.  :mellow:

Feel free to use & modify it in any way that pleases you.  B)

PS - Ctrl+Clicking to fast move around this map in preview mode within the game editor is not recommended.....You may well delete or modify something!  :unsure:

Those screenshots look gorgeous!

What mods do you use? I downloaded CMA today and would appreciate advice on graphics enchantments.

1 hour ago, dbsapp said:

What mods do you use?

It's all stock .bmps as far as I recall.....I briefly used @37mm's update of the Winter Mod, but stopped because it was doing strange things to the water while I was testing 'Winter Of Discontent'.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Nope.....CM:A is, and if Battlefront are to be believed, always will be, a unique sub-variant of the game, somewhat more sophisticated than CM:SF1 but with some really peculiar quirks.

I'd love to see (and would be happy to cooperate in the development of) a full set of new textures for the terrain files in this game.....The current set are kind of hard to use (at least in the way I normally do things in the other games).  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The suggested changes have been made to the Tactical Map, providing a broader summary of VPs and a schedule for reinforcements:

D86qsUQ.jpg

With that done I'm letting it into the wild, make of it what you will:

dtnrbXN.jpg

You can find it here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/h065sun2ev3qg73/Winter Of Discontent.btt?dl=0

@Bootie  How should I go about getting this onto TSD please?  I had a designer's account on one of the older iterations of your site under this username IIRC.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The suggested changes have been made to the Tactical Map, providing a broader summary of VPs and a schedule for reinforcements:

D86qsUQ.jpg

With that done I'm letting it into the wild, make of it what you will:

dtnrbXN.jpg

You can find it here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/h065sun2ev3qg73/Winter Of Discontent.btt?dl=0

@Bootie  How should I go about getting this onto TSD please?  I had a designer's account on one of the older iterations of your site under this username IIRC.

+1.  Good job!!

Might as well put this one out there while I'm at it:

aD1l0Za.jpg

Strictly two-player there are no AI plans for either side.....Never did get any feedback on this one, but it's about as balanced as it can be (on an asymmetrical map): 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgjhxi8vr6h5k2k/The Opium War (2p HtH Only).btt?dl=0

@Bootie  If you could add this one too, it would be appreciated.  B)

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, despite providing some entertaining moments like the above, I can't get 'A Saur Taste' to work convincingly.....Eight AI groups just isn't enough for a reinforced battalion on this map.  

I could do what I've done before when encountering this issue and switch the AI to the defence, making this a Red scenario, but that's not at all what I'm after doing.....The Mujahideen Battalion (& Tribal Groups) are what make this game unique, plus the AI isn't very good at using them to their full capabilities (Blue AI can't use artillery in game and it's difficult to get AI units to Blast reliably).

Meh!  :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...