New Afghanistan inspired campaign: Valleys of Death

After months in the making, I have finally completed my campaign Valleys of Death. It turned our to be quite an ambitious project, with 11 missions!

The campaign revolves around a US Army light infantry company, manning a remote combat outpost in an Afghanistan inspired terrain.

Unlike classic CMSF, which highly favors shock and awe and maneuver warfare, Valleys of Death deals with the issues of small units operating in a clearly defined AO. This means that, like in real life, you will conduct operations on the same map many times, with each mission focusing on different areas and objectives. By the end you will come to know the area very well, and this knowledge is key to defeat the enemy.

Features:

•     11 missions
  •     A large 2X2 km map and 2 additional maps
  •     Modern counter-insurgency infantry combat
  •     Heavily inspired by Afghanistan related media (Restrepo, Taking Fire, etc.)
  •     Base game, no modules needed

TXfVRp8.jpg

jRJj6VW.jpg

xBc06An.jpg

njvrnyM.jpg

Download from Dropbox

Please let me know ASAP if this link doesn't work! I'm not exactly a Dropbox wizz :) 

Edited by puje

Thank you guys for downloading it.

I'm sad to I have a few doubts on how the ending screen of the campaign plays out. I can't really figure out what activates the win or lose message. Whether it is average mission result, or solely result on last mission. Let me make it clear, there is nothing with the gameplay of the campaign (as far as I'm aware). But if you get a "You lost" message after you complete the campaign, (and you feel you shouldn't) that's an F up on my part!

Edited by puje

Excellent

You have done a great job.

I played through the 3 first battles tonight. really enjoyed the premise.

It does a good job of making one feel like they are dealing with what the Soldiers' are dealing with over there.

Just to let you know, its done a number on me also, always like it when it gives a good challenge, or shows me I can screw up.

Without giving anything away I will only say I lost way more equipment than I should have in the 1st battle, that alone will likely impact me , at least it has so far.

The loss was 5 men and 6 Hummers, you likely will know how that happened.

Edited by slysniper

Mission 2 done - 3 wounded , 0 dead and all intact. Up for mission 3

i wanna say - this gameplay and the style of coup d’etat really really embodies the possibilities and imagination of the designers and of CMSFII in general. I really really wish to commend both. Valley of death is cool as it’s a campaign with a narrative .

one suggestion for immersion.  Pick an actual unit and name it such in the editor.  One of the only issues with campaigns is you can't edit them to add stuff like mod tags etc so whatever is put in by the creator is it.  Whenever I mess with something I typically try to actually assign a real BN in the editor versus a generic "1st Battalion".

8 hours ago, borg said:

Mission 2 done - 3 wounded , 0 dead and all intact. Up for mission 3

i wanna say - this gameplay and the style of coup d’etat really really embodies the possibilities and imagination of the designers and of CMSFII in general. I really really wish to commend both. Valley of death is cool as it’s a campaign with a narrative .

yeah, the ww2 games are great, but I don't think they have the same leeway to design things of this nature.  Non conventional warfare inspires non conventional design maybe?  Whatever the reason am loving the crop of stuff coming up.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, sburke said:

yeah, the ww2 games are great, but I don't think they have the same leeway to design things of this nature.  Non conventional warfare inspires non conventional design maybe?  Whatever the reason am loving the crop of stuff coming up.

I actually think this is conceptually more like "The Devil's Descent" or "The Outlaws" for CMBN - there are obviously practical differences, but the main thing is that you have a campaign which is following a company-sized force, sometimes over the same terrain - that allows you to become familiar with your forces and the terrain in a way that most campaigns don't, and means you really feel any losses.

I'm not really sure that's a period thing, so much as having a structure where it's plausible to see small unit actions.

Also, I do think this campaign is a great advert for the Stryker - having just one of those knocking around would be tremendously helpful here, and you really feel it's absence.

I think the British Jackal might also make a lot more sense that usual in this kind of scenario - certainly an upgrade from the humvees, anyway.

1 minute ago, domfluff said:

Also, I do think this campaign is a great advert for the Stryker - having just one of those knocking around would be tremendously helpful here, and you really feel it's absence.

I think the British Jackal might also make a lot more sense that usual in this kind of scenario - certainly an upgrade from the humvees, anyway.

yeah that is another reason campaigns don't normally excite me as much.  I can't swap units in if I want to try something else.

I'm enjoying this campaign immensely. This needs to become a standard. I love the concept your running with here with a small unit on a single AO, and I'd love to see more these sorts of campaigns, perhaps with one of the other modules next?

9/10 (because nothing deserves a 10) Well done!

Edit: About 1/4 through mission 3.... Just took my first casualty. I'm really feeling some frustrations with the tactical situation, and I'm finding I have to radically rethink where the mission "begins" for my units. This is truly outstanding.

Edited by HunterGathers

4 hours ago, HunterGathers said:

I'm enjoying this campaign immensely. This needs to become a standard. I love the concept your running with here with a small unit on a single AO, and I'd love to see more these sorts of campaigns, perhaps with one of the other modules next?

We really need persistent map damage to make this concept properly immersive.....It's exactly what I wanted to do with Mosul, but as the eminently wise @Combatintman pointed out, there's nothing that wrecks immersion more than large numbers of buildings suddenly undestroying themselves between missions.  :unsure:

In some ways CM2 was a step backward from CM1.....IMHO the absence of 'static campaigns' (followed by fire) would be top of the list.  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead