49th Recce - Hill 113

I would not design another game like this, too much of a mix of forces, etc. If somebody wants to make a remake for CMAK, you are most welcome to, as long as the appropriate credit is given. Just email me.

I have a converted map on my computer, thanks to Junk2drive IIRC, and have already given permission for the map to be used at the random reinforcement site.

All the best

Andreas

Andreas:

I've got nothing against CMBO. Despite the lack of the cover arc commands and the, according to the people who seem to know, lesser authenticity compared to CMBB and CMAK, I still love to play CMBO.

Kingfish:

Thanks !

Bert-and-Gort: is the sound my stomach makes the next morning after a good evening of drinking beer and eating the wrong food !

The map was an experiment in what could be done, and is probably more like English than French country-side (I was living in Warwickshire at the time). I am glad you like it.

The force mix has some realistic elements, but others are a bit fantasy, and that's why I would not do it again like that, and have not done something like it in a long time. Maybe there is a lesson for me as a designer in there, but if so, I refuse to learn it.

All the best

Andreas

• 7 years later...

Andreas,

I know this is a 8 years old thread...but thanks for this scenario!

Just wanted to let you know I had a great time playing your 49threcce CMBO scenario!

I played allied vs ai.

The Germans surrendered after 32 turns giving me a tactical victory and a score of 70.

Their guns gave me a headache in the end, good thing I had my 3’’ mortars left.

I really loved the map, very nice and detailed. The units very mixed, a little too mixed imo but fun!

(I changed the scenario: I gave myself 60 turns instead of 40 just not to spoil the fun if I would run out of time + I added a jeep to make sure all units could be mounted on vehicles at the start. Turned out 40 turns is fine!)

Thanks for sharing the scenario!

...If you're still around...

Canovaro

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a bundle that included CMBO with all the various scenarios. I played 49th Recce about a half dozen times.

As the British and I cannot do better than a decisive defeat. I was hoping you could provide me with some insight as to how the British can overcome the Germans.

I have formed a few conclusions.

The Bren gun carriers are useless. Their bow mounted machine guns cannot shoot over the walls or the hedgerows. They are thus almost always hull down, able to see who is shooting at them, but with no way to return fire.

The British armored cars are inferior to the German tanks. When the armored cars are employed against the German armor they are lucky if they achieve mutual destruction, but mostly they just get lit up by the Lynx.

The AT guns that arrive as reinforcements are also useless as the walls and hedgerows are such that there is no place to put the guns to take shots at the German armor.

All that is left is the motorized infantry with their PIATs which need to get close to the German armor. I have slowly approached the German positions with the infantry, but the German infantry is too well supported and my infantry is shot down before I can close to the German armor.

There is some hope with the Saxon and the other tank hunter that show with the mortars. But they are quickly outclassed by the Germans once again.

And as for the mortars. I have not yet figured out how to use them since there is no where on the battlefield where they have any line of sight to do anything. Either with or without leaders acting as spotters.

I'm starting to think this scenario is unwinnable as the British.

tinjaw,

My big plan was to capture the small objective on the right first, set up a defence with the AT guns and wait for them to come. That didn't work out because they didn't take the bait. So I continued and took the other flag on the right forward as well hoping their tanks would start moving and showing themselves. That didn't happen either but they started firing with their guns and I couldn't find out where the shells were coming from. My guns were knocked out by the Germans while moving them into a defensive position and exposing them too much. I should have used a smoke screen for that.

In the meantime I send my infantry up over the Railway dyke towards the town towards and through the bigger wood section so they could get near without being exposed (except when the went over the top). Then after scouting the terrain towards the town it was clear that it was safe to approach with transport vehicles, so I send the rest of the infantry on transports.

What I did next was get my infantry as close to the enemy as possible.

I used my infantry to find the enemy vehicles and guns. While keeping them in sight, I surprised them on the flank with my Daimlers. I had the piats as an emergency option, but never used them.

Using the tactics above I defeated the enemy armored cars one by one and then throwed in the Sexton and the tank to give infantry support. While slowly gaining the upper hand, I moved in the mortars with HQ spotters to kill off any AT guns. They turned out to be very hard to find and I lost many infantry and vehicles and even my tank to them. Finally I managed to knock out the guns both with mortars and storming them with infantry.

By that time I got the flag in the town, and their infantry started to storm my position. Thanks to the sexton and the wasp, they were quickly finished. As soon as I send some guys to the final objective, the big hill, the Germans surrendered giving me a score of 70/100.

I sent you a PM requesting your e-mail address. If you want I can e-mail all my saved games to you. I use to create a save game after each turn in case the game crashes, so you can watch my battle turn by turn.

• 7 years later...

I know this is super old, but here we go...

This scenario is super hard, i spend 5 hours today trying to win the germans and holy cow, got defeated everytime. Any tips on how to play it?

I shouldnt have spend all this time in one scenario, btw, i started playing this game today :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, Sorcerer117 said:

I know this is super old, but here we go...

This scenario is super hard, i spend 5 hours today trying to win the germans and holy cow, got defeated everytime. Any tips on how to play it?

I shouldnt have spend all this time in one scenario, btw, i started playing this game today :D

I don't know that I've ever played this scenario, but, I definitely recommend you consider upgrading to CM Beyond Normandy and the newer games. I don't think I can even run CMBO any more.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:07 AM, ng cavscout said:

I don't know that I've ever played this scenario, but, I definitely recommend you consider upgrading to CM Beyond Normandy and the newer games. I don't think I can even run CMBO any more.

Let me tell you a little story :D

I always wanted to play CM series, but my currency is really bad, its really expensive to buy the game via-site, so i waited, i did played alot of other games in the meanwhile but i always keep CM in my mind. (i would guess 4 years, and i had to do other real life stuff to). So anyway, fast forward the Steam release, i bought CM2 full pack because for some reason it's really cheap to buy via-steam in my country.

I live in Brazil, so, i would pay 600 reais for the CM2 full pack via site, but on steam i payed 150, the minimum wage here is 900 reais, for a comparison for how expensive was via-site.

Them i though, why i would skip the old games? So i went to GOG, waited for a sale and bought all the 3 old ones to :D, now thanks for my obsession (not really) i'm want to play the old them move on to the new ones. End of the story.

= I passed 49 recce but now i'm stuck on 5th glosters go east, i cant figure out how to use mortar with HQ spot, and it seens to never work, btw, all the missions are this hard? lol 

Probably a hand full of people still play this, so anyway...

Ok a update, i got a major victory! Tips: you have to use the mortar and the 6pounder to blow up some houses in the start, them advance with infantry, i took the town with few casualities and keep the HQ alive, them moved the mortars and 6p close to the church, with almost all myinfantry alive i moved to forest with the light tanks support, they smashed all german infantry in that wood, i started to get some casualities, them reached the flak 88, by that time the flak was surrounded with my infantry, one turn and they got rekt, so, on the other side of the road my mortars, tanks and that 6th keep shreding the germans there, and i reduced with the infantry that survived the forest fight. Omg, why they make so difficult, two mortars, and most of the breen carriers were out of ammo by the end of the 25 turn, but, it was a major victory. Man, 10 hours to pass two missions in this game. Whorthy the money already :D