Major Fire At Notre-Dame Cathedral

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

...it even looks like the rose-window is still intact!

Doubtful. In early photos there were flames issuing through it, so some panes at least were destroyed. Recent reports however state that the towers are intact. Any repair work that fully restores it to pre-fire state would, I expect, be staggeringly expensive. If it were me, I'd let it fall into ruin and preserve it in that state. But the Church and its backers have lots of loot and I expect they won't let that happen.

Michael

6 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

In early photos there were flames issuing through it, so some panes at least were destroyed.

I thought that was the upper section, in the vaulting, the main part below seemed OK.....Basing my comments on this image:

skynews-notre-dame-fire-france_4641192.j

In case anyone is wondering why it's a big deal:

dsc01659de.jpg

dsc01646d.jpg

As I understand it, making replacement glass is not something that we are 100% confident in doing.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Mine's fairly comprehensive, my dad wrote a PhD on the construction of Medieval cathedrals.....Guess who was his lucky research assistant?  ;)

TBH it was a bloody good deal (although there was no way I was admitting that at the time).....I got to see a lot of really beautiful stuff, Chartres is a particular favourite, for fairly obvious reasons (& for some slightly less well known ones):

Chartres_1.jpg

dsc02086a.jpg

chartres_back_to_the_middle_ages_19.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Been there a few times and am 100% behind repair.  There is far too much history there to let it go (and I don’t have a religious bone in my body).  Anyone ever go to Sainte Chapelle down the street?  Really beautiful stain glass there that doesn’t get the same attention. 

Looks like I was right...again.

Protesters set ablaze a car, motorbikes and barricades near the Place de la République as they took to the streets of Paris and other French cities for the 23rd Saturday in a row, The Associated Press reported. This time they say they are outraged the government could raise more than a billion dollars to help restore the burned Notre Dame cathedral while their demands to fight wealth inequality remain overlooked.

Michael

I wonder what the Vegas over under on when the structure will be open to the public would be? I think the media has been too pessimistic. I would lay odds < 3 years. I know I know. We are talking France. But still. The Cathedral is integral to their capital and its tourism. 

Kevin