Arma - Authentic Wargaming

Hey guys. Seeing that many of the people here on this forum enjoy wargaming and such, I thought I'd inform you guys of a pretty neat mod mix I've been testing with over the past several months that creates very realistic AI. Introducing Smart AI Mix, it's a combination of GL4, Zeus, ZGB, SMK, and SLX (credit to Chris B for this mix). These AI take effective cover, maneuver properly (including bounding overwatch), flank, garrison buildings, utilize vehicles, deploy grenades, maintain 360 security, and much more. It's definitely worth a look if you're interested in wargaming:

Fireteam CQB Cover to Cover:

Fireteam 360 Security:

AI Deploying Flares To Spot Enemies:

Fireteam Assault On Rahmadi:

If anyone is interested in trying this out, let me know and I can post a list of the required AI addons.

Edited by ZackTactical34

thanks for posting! I´d enjoyed ARMA 2 and Iron Front quite a lot with many the AI add ons applied. Haven´t come to switch to ARMA 3 and its WW2 mods yet unfortunately, but that´ll change in the near future. B)

Edit: That footstep sounds appear bits too meaty IMO, but off course that can be modded as well.

Edited by RockinHarry

18 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

thanks for posting! I´d enjoyed ARMA 2 and Iron Front quite a lot with many the AI add ons applied. Haven´t come to switch to ARMA 3 and its WW2 mods yet unfortunately, but that´ll change in the near future. B)

Edit: That footstep sounds appear bits too meaty IMO, but off course that can be modded as well.

Well, in case you're interested, this is what I'm using (and pretty good results IMO):

AI-Setup.png

9 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

yep, I know most of these from ARMA2/IronFront. What about Tpwcas (and ASR AI)? Or is it now part of ARMA3 game mechanics (which would be quite cool)? I´d played WW2 only, so just know or played those add ons concerned usually.

I tried TPWCAS and it didn't really work that well with the mix. ASR AI is OK as a mod by itself (I don't really use any of the ASR addons).

As for Arma 3, I don't really play it all that often. The AI are just disappointing (even with AI mods). I show these clips to my Arma 3 mates sometimes and they generally remark about how advanced they are in comparison to even Arma 3. Also, if you still play Arma 2 CO, you should seriously check out XMOD. The developer of the mod (Joker), has been working on it since 2013. It's all run on his server (client side). The mod encompasses pretty much everything (UI, map, advanced AI, colors, clouds, etc):

The overall look of it makes me think of classic Ghost Recon 1. Definitely worth a look.

Edited by ZackTactical34

1 hour ago, ZackTactical34 said:

I tried TPWCAS and it didn't really work that well with the mix. ASR AI is OK as a mod by itself (I don't really use any of the ASR addons).

As for Arma 3, I don't really play it all that often. The AI are just disappointing (even with AI mods). I show these clips to my Arma 3 mates sometimes and they generally remark about how advanced they are in comparison to even Arma 3. Also, if you still play Arma 2 CO, you should seriously check out XMOD. The developer of the mod (Joker), has been working on it since 2013. It's all run on his server (client side). The mod encompasses pretty much everything (UI, map, advanced AI, colors, clouds, etc):

The overall look of it makes me think of classic Ghost Recon 1. Definitely worth a look.

Correct. It´s the mix of compatible add ons that let it all work better or worse. IIRC I´d limited myself on just using TPWCAS and ASR AI and got good results with my vs AIP battles. Also did a bit of "hacking" some TPWCAS to suit my needs better. Think it had something to do with soldier stance changes in particular circumstances, but it´s years gone since I did.

yep, still on Arma 2 CO. I´ll have a look out for mentioned XMOD, thanks. B)There´s like a related thread at Bohemia as well I´d guess.

The most to me disappointing feature in ARMA was tank combat, particularly with WW2 gear. Never tried online play, although that´ll surely change anytime, also making tank combat (teamed crews) more realistic and less robot like.

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Correct. It´s the mix of compatible add ons that let it all work better or worse. IIRC I´d limited myself on just using TPWCAS and ASR AI and got good results with my vs AIP battles. Also did a bit of "hacking" some TPWCAS to suit my needs better. Think it had something to do with soldier stance changes in particular circumstances, but it´s years gone since I did.

yep, still on Arma 2 CO. I´ll have a look out for mentioned XMOD, thanks. B)There´s like a related thread at Bohemia as well I´d guess.

The most to me disappointing feature in ARMA was tank combat, particularly with WW2 gear. Never tried online play, although that´ll surely change anytime, also making tank combat (teamed crews) more realistic and less robot like.

Well, be on the lookout over the next year or two. I'm going into AI development specifically for Arma 2 CO. Goal is to replicate what KAI accomplished and possibly push the boundaries even further. I don't just want competitive AI, I want them to behave realistically as well.

14 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

Well, be on the lookout over the next year or two. I'm going into AI development specifically for Arma 2 CO. Goal is to replicate what KAI accomplished and possibly push the boundaries even further. I don't just want competitive AI, I want them to behave realistically as well.

sounds promising for sure. I´m not a programmer and just know basics that I rather call "hacking" techniques. One the issues to deal with certainly is game performance. The more if you have many AI entieties on the map and active. Some can be solved by caching and spawning, but the more you put into a module the harder it is to keep a balance. I wish you luck and I´m looking forward to any progress you´ll make with it. B)