Project 44 Maps First Canadian Army in Normandy

This is an unprecedented effort by the CRMA (Canadian Research Mapping Agency), a volunteer outfit started by veterans to fully map the entire movements of the Canadian Army in Normandy, starting with the invasion maps and going forward. But it's much more than maps, because it includes/will include all the War Diaries covering where Canadian units were, enemy sightings, combat, etc, as well as piles of pre-war, wartime, and post war photos.  All the other forces friendly and not are also covered as to their locations if they were in the AO. The amount of material compiled is monumental and will be fully searchable, too. Project 45 after that will follow the First Canadian Army to the end of the war.

https://www.project44.ca/intelblog/mapping-the-battle-of-normandy

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

9 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Heck yes!  I just read Juno & Holding Juno, would love to see some scenarios from this.  About to start Ortona.

I'm working on a scenario about the Juno landings at Courseulles-sur-Mer. It will have a historic version as well as a couple of "what-if" variants. Most of the map is done and units in place, but I've hit a couple of snags and has the project on hold until the patch is released.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for posting this!

My play by e-mail friend is in the Canadian Navy. He always plays the Canadians and I play the Germans. We are planning to start playing historical scenarios and this will help immensely.

BTW the Canadians were the only ones to reach their Day One objective. But their tanks had to pull back as they had no infantry support and the rest of their unit needed to consolidate as they were really strung out.

I have trained with the Canadian forces and they are just as professional and competent as any other armed force.

I know I am going to catch hell by saying this but, damn the rebuttals, full steam ahead.

It seems the way the Canadians were used in the Normandy Campaign reminds me of a quote from Braveheart.  "Edward Longshanks: Send in the Irish, the dead cost nothing."

On 4/6/2019 at 4:25 PM, RockinHarry said:

quite an ambitious project. B) Though looking somewhat more forward to when it comes to the scheldt estuary and rhineland battles, but that appears yet far off. Subscribed to their mailing list.

I look forward to that too. And a coming module for FB should probably include Canadians in Operation Veritable and Blockbuster. The Canadians deserve a lot of credit for the contribution in WWII. The country which had the highest percentage of their population involved in the war effort.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:17 AM, rocketman said:

I look forward to that too. And a coming module for FB should probably include Canadians in Operation Veritable and Blockbuster. The Canadians deserve a lot of credit for the contribution in WWII. The country which had the highest percentage of their population involved in the war effort.

can´t agree more. I´m ready for tons of OP Veritable missions if we get to the module anytime soon. B)