Transferring CM2 to New Computer

PSY

I'm building a new computer and would like to transfer my CM licenses to it.  I found unlicense executables for ShockForce and the various modules (e.g., British Forces) I have for it.  But I don't see anything similar for CM Normandy or CM Italy.  

What procedure should I use for these games?

There is NO unlicense procedure for the current copy-protection that CM has used since CMBN. CMSF and its modules used eLicense, which does have an unlicense function. This allows you to preserve the two activations per license key for each game/module. For CMBN and newer games you simply have to relicense them on the new computers. Typically each license key comes with 4 activations, once those have been used up you have to contact the Helpdesk to add another activation to each license key that needs it.

On a related note - make use of the full installers for your install process on your new computer. In other words download the full installers for the latest version of the games you have purchased. That will be much less painful than starting at an early version and updating things step by step - especially for CMFI and CMBN.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, IanL said:

On a related note - make use of the full installers for your install process on your new computer. In other words download the full installers for the latest version of the games you have purchased. That will be much less painful than starting at an early version and updating things step by step - especially for CMFI and CMBN.

Yes!!! DO NOT try to copy/paste an installed copy to a different computer (or migrate if you have a Mac). That is exactly what the anti-piracy software is designed to prevent. 

If you are simply updating your storage (larger HDD or SSD) and Windows is being copied over (not reinstalled), then you likely should be fine on the same computer. The activation is tied to your Windows install and the hardware that it was installed on. If you are making significant changes to your hardware (motherboard, CPU, possibly the video card), then you could run into issues with the copy-protection system invaliding that activation (NOT the license key, but the activation of that particular installation). If this happens typically you'll get an error when you try to launch the games (I can't recall the exact error at this point). This would necessitate getting an utility from the Helpdesk to delete the activation and allowing you to reactivate that installation. If you end up reinstalling Windows (especially a 'clean' install where the previous installation of Windows is wiped out), then you simply need to reactivate the games/modules. I'm not certain of a re-installation of Windows OVER an existing installation. That MIGHT preserve the activations or possibly delete them or corrupt them (requiring the utility from Helpdesk).