REAL WORLD TACTICS THAT WORK IN CM

Erwin

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Every day's a school day … peacenik eh, do you have flowers in your hair? 😉

56 minutes ago, George MC said:

Yup - and a wee headband! :)

Judging from George's avatar, if he does have flowers, I bet they are edelweiss. :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, Erwin said:

Was going thru old CM files and found this which may be helpful to those still learning CM (as we all are actually).  This hasn't been edited so may have spelling errors etc.  Sorry for not crediting the author, but I don't know who wrote it. 

REAL WORLD TACTICS THAT WORK IN CM

Below you will find some real world tactics that we use in the military that will work in CM games.  Most of these tactics can be used with Infantry and Armor, but some are Infantry or Armor specific.  What you are about to read IS what I was taught when I was in the U.S. Army.

MOVEMENT TECHNEQUES

There are 3 types of movement formations:  Traveling, Traveling Overwatch, and Bounding Overwatch.  These movements are written with a 3 squad platoon or a tank platoon (at least 3 tanks or H/T’s) in mind, but you can adapt them as you see fit for the unit you are moving.

Traveling (CM= Fast Move😞 This is when contact with the enemy is NOT likely.  Or you’re moving up to the battle area.  Use this when you have no LOS to the enemy from the position YOU are moving to.

Traveling Overwatch (CM= Move or Advance😞  This is when one squad or platoon sits in an overwatch position while another moves forward to the next covered or concealed position.  Once you are done setting up the moving unit, you move the unit that was in the overwatch position.  Use this when contact is likely, but you’re not sure.

Bounding Overwatch (CM= Contact or Assault😞 This is when you use one or two of the 3 squads to lay down a base of fire to pin down the enemy and use the remaining units to flank the position by using all available cover so that the flanking unit can get to a favorable position to assault from.

MOVEMENT FORMATIONS

The movement formations below can be used for tanks and H/T’s.  But generally we use ONLY the first one for Infantry.

WEDGE   In this formation you have one unit up, and one on either side, but back some.  It will look like an arrow.  The HQ unit will be behind the center unit in the middle.  If you are attaching units like MG’s or AT weapons, then you make another arrow with the HQ unit as the point.  This is the most common formation for moving cross-country.  It also provides the best all around defense and the MG’s can be brought up quickly. 

DIAMOND – This is a tank and H/T formation.  It provides the best overall coverage 360o.

FILE – Use this one when moving down a road when you have to get somewhere fast. Basically one behind the other.  Place the HQ unit as the 2nd unit so it can direct the 2 or 3 units behind it to the left of right as the situation dictates if or when contact is made.  This formation is generally used when traveling to the Line of Departure (LD) or Main Line of Resistance (MLR).  It has the least amount of firepower forward, but the most on the sides.

ECHELON LEFT or RIGHT – This is a tank formation.  Place the HQ unit, then the rest of the unit to the left or right of it.  A variation of it is placing the units on an 45o angle to the HQ unit instead of on line with it.  Usually you use this formation on the flanks when moving.

REACTION TO ARTILLARY STRIKES

General rule of thumb is that Art’y will fall AWAY from the direction it is traveling.  So, if your FO is looking South, then the rounds will fall in a North to South pattern (I’ve noticed this in the game, but the game does not take into account of WHERE the guns really are).

What you can do is once the first rounds start to land, is on your next orders turn, take what good order units are left and RUN them TOWARDS THE ENEMY!!  Yes, I know this doesn’t sound right, but it does work for some reason in the game.  The real doctrine I was taught was to pick a clock direction AWAY from the falling rounds and AWAY from the original direction of movement.

COUNTER MEASURES FOR THIS

The counter for this is to have another FO or a unit’s organic mortars have a LOS to a spot the would be 1 or 2 turns of movement from the falling rounds.  You can then start dropping those rounds as the running unit enters the new area.  Thus bracketing that unit and causing even more casualties.

MACHINE GUNS

Rule of thumb here is basically for defense only.  When setting up a defense we used an acronym called O.C.O.K.A. this will be explained later.  In short you set up the MG’s first and build your defense around them.   This applies to ALL MG’s that are separate units not organic to a squad.  MG’s are the majority of your infantry’s firepower, so they need to be strategically placed.  They are also  just about the only weapon in the infantryman’s hands that can get out to 1000 meters or more, so placing them where they can only see only up to 300m would be wasting a lot of firepower, unless that is what the terrain dictates.  I’m not going to give any hints here due to the too many variations of terrain.

In the offense, keep the MG’s close to a leader, so they can get to use some of his pluses if he has any.  Move them behind the squads so they can be brought up to the firing line where you need them.  Do not bring them any further forward than necessary.  As soon as they have a LOS stop them.  Get them firing first, and then start your maneuver to take out the enemy.

50mm & 60mm MORTARS

These are the organic mortars of most standard Inf. Company’s.  Use these to cover dead zones.  Dead zones are places that the regular infantryman cannot fire into with his rifle, like behind buildings, creek beds, ravines, behind hills.  In today’s military we use Grenade launchers to accomplish this task.

AT GUNS

In the defense the same rules for MG’s apply here as well.  But my thoughts on their use are this:  They are for use against tanks and H/T’s.  I do my best to not waste them on Infantry targets, unless they need to defend themselves.  To solve this problem you may want to provide a security force of a MG or a squad to take care of any Infantry threat that may present itself.

ENGINEERS & FLAMETHROWERS

Do not waste these valuable troops fighting Infantry in foxholes.  That’s not what you got them for.  These units are for taking out hard targets like heavy tanks and bunkers.  If you waste them on the foxholes, then they will not have anymore demo charges to use when you do stumble on a bunker, and you’ll be forced to waste valuable time maneuvering around it.

SMOKE

Smoke is used for concealing yourself while moving.  And it can be used to block the observation of a bunker or other targets while you’re maneuvering around them to take them out.  Use it wisely, as you only have a limited amount of it.  If you know what type of terrain your going to traverse, especially in a QB, then you may want to buy an extra FO just for this.

PRIORITIZE YOUR TARGETS

Believe it or not, this does work, so listen up!!  Prioritizing your targets means using the least amount of firepower over the least amount of time to achieve the maximum results.  There are usually 2 ways to win a game, capture the objectives and destroying most of your opponent’s combat power.  The game gives you a choice, unless the scenario designer set it up that you have to do one or the other.   In the real world Patton’s ideas of closing with the enemy to destroy him so he can not fight another day is NOT the way to do it.  You waste a lot of ammo and will incur a lot of unnecessary casualties.

What you do is use your enemy’s morale against him.  You want to eliminate the following targets basically in this order:

HQ platoons = makes the unit break and rout faster.

Co. HQ = Same result once you get rid of the Plt HQ’s

MG’s = less firepower he can throw at you.

FO’s = Same as MG’s

All other tanks = Again, take out the heaviest firepower

H/T’s = Means he has to walk more, wasting a lot of time.

You will notice I’m leaning towards the Infantry side of things here.  That is because no other units have the ability to hold ground gained like an infantry unit can.  This was learned the hard way, and so is pounded into our heads over at Ft. Benning, and at every service academy that trains leaders for the combat arms.

Basically in a nut shell, it really doesn’t matter if you get a total vic or a minimum vic.  A win is still a win and a loss is still a loss.  And I believe the game does take into account for routed and captured units at the last turn.

Ok, so now I gave you some good information.  So, how do you employ it?  There are 2 formulas that we use one for attack and one for defense.

METT-T (OFFENSE)

Mission – What is your mission?

Equipment – What do you have to accomplish the mission with?  You need to        know its capabilities and limitations

Terrain – What types of terrain are you going to have to traverse to get to your objectives?

Troops - What type of troops are you going to come up against?

Time – How much time do you have to accomplish the mission?  General rule of thumb is to divide the number of turns by 3.  If you can’t divide it evenly add extra turns to the 3rd set.

1st set – maneuver to the location you want to launch your attack on the objectives.

2nd set – Attacking the objective.

3rd set – Finishing the attack and defending the objective against any counter-attack.

Another variation to this is the 5 W’s (Who, What, When, Where & Why)

We all know that a plan never survives the first shots fired, but a good commander can think on his feet and will find a way to Charley Mike (Continue Mission)

OCOKA (DEFENSE)

Observation – pick good LOS for ALL your units.

Cover & Concealment – Don’t put anyone out in the open if you don’t have to.

Obstacles – Barb wire, mines, and road blocks.

Key Terrain – What is the most dominant piece of terrain on the map?  This would be the largest hill or that one town.  Most scenarios are built around this, as that was what the battle was for.

Avenues of Approach – Terrain the enemy will use to move his forces without you seeing them.  In other words, ravines, woods, and other terrain that will mask his approach.

What does the abbreviation H/T’s mean?

I believe the traditional reaction to an artillery strike is to leap three hundred feet into the air, and scatter yourself unevenly around the surrounding environment.

The short answer is that if you can, you need to get out of that area fast, ideally as spotting rounds are landing. Hiding in place, even in fortifications or vehicles, isn't really a good idea.

The above is also suggesting that given the pattern of attacks in CM, you're better off running towards the enemy, than away.

20 hours ago, wgbn1968 said:

The real doctrine I was taught was to pick a clock direction AWAY from the falling rounds and AWAY from the original direction of movement

That actually works in CM2 - sometimes it may mean you run into the enemy. That usually also means that you are doing what the enemy wanted you to, running into nicely planned interlocking fields of fire, minefields or a combination.

9 hours ago, domfluff said:

The above is also suggesting that given the pattern of attacks in CM, you're better off running towards the enemy, than away.

That sounds really crazy to run towards the enemy. I prefer to fallback like in this video:

• At 9:33 in the video, troops are moving back due to the shells
  • At 9:54 in the video, they are coming back

8 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

You really quoted that huge block of text just to ask a one-line question? 😐

Either point him to a post describing board etiquette, or assume he's still relatively new, at 12 posts, and let it pass.

Or, you can do what you did which is  less welcoming, helpful, or instructive.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Howler said:

Either point him to a post describing board etiquette, or assume he's still relatively new, at 12 posts, and let it pass.

...or at least, if one must take a swipe...have the good manners to actually provide the answer at the same time. :)

On 4/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, Howler said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the delete key before posting a giant wall of text as part of one's reply. It's also not exactly like we're in the late 90s and the early days of online message boards. 

Edited by LukeFF

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the delete key before posting a giant wall of text as part of one's reply. It's also not exactly like we're in the late 90s and the early days of online message boards. 

It's got nothing to do with rocket science. It's just common courtesy which, granted, seems to be not as common today.

You've chosen twice in this thread to be less than welcoming or helpful.

Learn... to.. let.. it...pass.

I won't be responding further as I have learned the above. I also don't have any particular axe to grind with you.

Be well,