Special Effects Mix

On 3/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, 37mm said:

I have updated the original dropbox link with the second beta version of the mix.  

Nice work.  I downloaded Beta Two and have been experimenting around with the following:   

zz Effects DAY

Small Arms (realistic, balanced).

Effects NIGHT ----------------- Which I will probably tag [night]

I think adding the tag [night] should work?  

I know you said you weren't crazy about the speed of the MBT muzzle blast but I think you did a great job with it.  :D

Also there was one file named explosion_gradient that was not in a folder.  Does this file go with one of the folders?  I took it just in case but I'm not sure if it is needed or what it does.  

Will there be more work on this or will Beta 2 be the final?  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

17 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Nice work.  I downloaded Beta Two and have been experimenting around with the following:   

zz Effects DAY

Small Arms (realistic, balanced).

Effects NIGHT ----------------- Which I will probably tag [night]

I think adding the tag [night] should work?  

I know you said you weren't crazy about the speed of the MBT muzzle blast but I think you did a great job with it.  :D

Also there was one file named explosion_gradient that was not in a folder.  Does this file go with one of the folders?  I took it just in case but I'm not sure if it is needed or what it does.  

Will there be more work on this or will Beta 2 be the final?  

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I did a few experiments with the [night] tag but it doesn't seem to work.

The explosion gradient bitmap is from the base game, I must've left it in there when trying to figure out what it does... I couldn't.

It's harmless so you can leave it, delete it or play around with it.

This is not the final version, I expect there'll be a new type of smaller explosion eventually then it will come packaged with a mod enabler & put up on CMMODS.

I quite like the look of these "sparkly" ones...

5 hours ago, 37mm said:

I did a few experiments with the [night] tag but it doesn't seem to work.  

Ah, that's to bad.  So what is the proper way to use the Effects NIGHT mod?  Does the Effects night folder have to be manually moved in and out of the User Data / Mods folder?   So drop it in during a night operation and remove it during daylight?  

5 hours ago, 37mm said:

This is not the final version, I expect there'll be a new type of smaller explosion eventually then it will come packaged with a mod enabler & put up on CMMODS.

I quite like the look of these "sparkly" ones...

Okay, cool.  :D  I Look forward to it. 

13 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Ah, that's to bad.  So what is the proper way to use the Effects NIGHT mod?  Does the Effects night folder have to be manually moved in and out of the User Data / Mods folder?   So drop it in during a night operation and remove it during daylight?  

Okay, cool.  :D  I Look forward to it. 

As per the text document & the initial post in this thread, you need to put two z's before either night or day (the two z's are before day by default).

For the explosions, smoke, small arms etc you put one z before the option you want.

The whole thing is a bit of a complicated mess really... hence the need for a mod enabler.

However if you can figure it out it does give you a lot of versatility (as I hope my video channel helps show).

Edited by 37mm

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 2:31 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

Loving this mix of effects. I was just finding Vein's tracers difficult to see in most situations particularly in the day. I've adjusted the tracer to be a touch bigger. Takes up about 2/3's of the BMP canvas size but doesn't have the 'laser beam' effect in game. Let me know an email/dropbox location if you want a copy.

Cheers

I was hesitant to create another 'optional set' however it recently occured to me that your increased visibility tracers might look cool at night... do you still have them?

11 hours ago, 37mm said:

I was hesitant to create another 'optional set' however it recently occured to me that your increased visibility tracers might look cool at night... do you still have them?

Check your PM. ;) Oh and the "Night" modtag is working for me. I have different muzzle flashes for day and night.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

4 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Check your PM. ;) Oh and the "Night" modtag is working for me. I have different muzzle flashes for day and night.

You're right, the [night] tag does work.

I must've messed up the earlier experiments (probably forgot the space).

Your tracers are now part of Heaven & Earth & will be part of the final version of this mix too.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Just to confirm, we cannot have both day and night FX loaded at the same time?  (Was hoping there was a way to tag them so they can co-exist in my Z folder.)

They've always been able to coexist, although you have to follow the "two zz's" selection option of the initial release.

However, as you've just read above, I now realize the [night] tag does work.

I will probably update the current beta shortly to take account of this fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay beta 3 is ready & has been sent to the original dropbox link.

Changes

• Night effects have been expanded & tagged. They now work automatically.
  • The 'time of day' optional set has been removed. Day & night effects are now merged into one 'standard effects' folder.

You still need to place a "z" before the other optional sets (small arms, explosions, white smoke, vehicle dust) you wish to use.

Edited by 37mm

• 1 year later...

During the making of Heaven & Earth, I made a few changes to the effects & these have now been fed back to the original dropbox link (beta 4).

Changes

• Night explosions have been improved (large explosions at night looked odd previously)
  • Slightly tweaked vehicle muzzle fire.
Edited by 37mm

• 8 months later...

Hi all

Just a quick question on mod folder structure. Does the game read sub-folders of a folder before other folders in the data/Z folder?

in the example below, say i had folders X and Y containing mods as shown

Data/Z/zzfolderX/subfolderY

and

Data/Z/zfolderY

as i understand it zzfolderX would be read after zfolderY, but would subfolderY then be read after zfolderY

bit confusing i know, but hope someone can explain.

cheers

Just to clarify.  a folder named "Z something" will be read after all other folders that start with a single letter of the alphabet.  A folder named "ZZ something" will be read after any folder named "Z something".  "ZZZ something" would be read after that etc.

The files that are read/loaded last are the ones that appear in the game.  There is nothing magical about "Z".  It just happens to be the last letter in the alphabet.

26 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Just to clarify.  a folder named "Z something" will be read after all other folders that start with a single letter of the alphabet.  A folder named "ZZ something" will be read after any folder named "Z something".  "ZZZ something" would be read after that etc.

The files that are read/loaded last are the ones that appear in the game.  There is nothing magical about "Z".  It just happens to be the last letter in the alphabet.

Yes thanks Erwin, I was aware of that thanks. it was the hierarchy of subfolders I was unsure of.