Syrian Army Realism Mod 1.0

15 hours ago, Sir Lancelot said:

One problem is that I can't get the normal map to work

Further to Frenchy response above, it may well be that you have created maps with a negative bump texture, it's easy to get it wrong. So you'll have to play around and experiment to get it right. Scouring the internet for art tips and tutorials is always recommended because the info is out there if you look for it, but ultimately the key to a polished mod is simply sweat, grind and sheer persistence!

On 2/28/2019 at 5:29 PM, The Steppenwulf said:

Further to Frenchy response above, it may well be that you have created maps with a negative bump texture, it's easy to get it wrong. So you'll have to play around and experiment to get it right. Scouring the internet for art tips and tutorials is always recommended because the info is out there if you look for it, but ultimately the key to a polished mod is simply sweat, grind and sheer persistence!

Thanks for the tip.  But I tried bump texture one way and then tried inverting it, but it still doesn't seem to work; I think it has to do with the mdr model that the helmet is based on. In the end, I just photoshopped shadowing effect into the netting layer, which seems to work pretty well.

Edited by Sir Lancelot

I just had a quick look at the various Syrian helmet textures; there does appear to be what looks a like a netting overlay texture, complete with netting normal map, but this doesn't appear in game on any of the models I looked at. Unless I've overlooked the specific truppen sporting them, this netting texture, or decal isn't functional. 

smod_syrian_helmet-reserve 1.bmp

smod_syrian_helmet-reserve 1_normal map

In general I think the helmet skins do not seem to be of the same quality as some of the later CM ww2 textures, furthermore the later helmet skins are easier to mod because of how they were mapped.  

Despite the difficulties new helmet textures can be created from scratch. Just need to open them up in blender as I have done then remap and reskin them.   

I notice that v1.2 doesn't include the helmets.  Also, some of the v1.1 uniform files are not updated.  Are we supposed to simply copy over to the v1.1 folder and replace only what is new?  Or, should we completely delete v1.1 and replace with v1.2?

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

I notice that v1.2 doesn't include the helmets.  Also, some of the v1.1 uniform files are not updated.  Are we supposed to simply copy over to the v1.1 folder and replace only what is new?  Or, should we completely delete v1.1 and replace with v1.2?

All the files are there, in the Soldiers folder. You can delete/replace the whole folder.  Ver. 1.2 adds uncon fighters shown above, but no changes have been made to the Syrian regular forces.  When you say the v1.1 uniform files are not updated, is this what you mean?

Edited by Sir Lancelot

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

The 4 helmet files are not in the v1.2 d/l.  Also, when I copied over v1.2 over 1.1, I noticed there were a few uniform files that remained from v1.1.  Not a problem.  Just wanted to check that this is intended.

The helmet files are in 1.2, CMFDR even took a screenshot of them for you.

As for the uniform files that remained from 1.1...

20 hours ago, Sir Lancelot said:

Here comes version 1.2: I modded the Syrian fighters so that they wear at least some camouflage. The mod folder linked below also contains my previous work on the Syrian regular forces. 

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

The 4 helmet files are not in the v1.2 d/l.  Also, when I copied over v1.2 over 1.1, I noticed there were a few uniform files that remained from v1.1.  Not a problem.  Just wanted to check that this is intended.

The four helmet files you mentioned were deleted on purpose.  They were actually my own backup files and weren't used at all in the game.  Now you should have 21 helmet files - 5 each for airbornes, regulars, reserves, and special forces, plus 1 for special forces leader. In ver 1.2, I added another 10 uniform files (and their respective normal map files) for the unconventional fighters.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:39 AM, Sir Lancelot said:

Here comes version 1.2: I modded the Syrian fighters so that they wear at least some camouflage. The mod folder linked below also contains my previous work on the Syrian regular forces.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bwgu0k7bdjpblkr/AADo5tmmL0RTWPz8omGaS6twa?dl=0

Uncon fighters.jpg

Nice mod! Always disliked the pajama boy look.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...