WIP: British Army Uniforms, Helmets, and Gear

British uniform Mod is almost done, but a few glitches to fix and decisions to make. (For example...DPM camo too bright?) For photo-op purposes, the DPM uniformed and helmetted troops have MTP Gear, and vice-versa.  This Mod will have a complete set of uniforms, helmets, and gear in separate folders for both DPM and MTP camo. The photois show a few different camo schemes for the plate carriers/armor vests, but I'll settle on no more than two for each uniform set, propbaly simply just use both DPM and MTP camo for each set, unless anyone has a better idea.  I can do a follow up for specific unit shoulder insignias if anyone has a real hankering for some.

This Mod will be ready in a few days, hopefully.  Cheers!

British%202a.png

British%202c.png

British%202b.png

British%201a.png

British%201c.png

British%201b.png

Mark,  not that you need more to do, but in an earlier thread some one asked for Woodland DPM shirts with Desert DPM pants, and provided some photos of troops dressed that way. Just thought I'd bring it up. Thanks for all your work. I'm working on putting patches on the stock game British uniforms myself right now.

I sorta remember that thread, Sequoia. In the field at various times, local conditions, etc., and depending on the higher-ups, there seems to be a lot of variation in uniform and kit. And I would think especially when new paterned uniforms were issued.  I'm certainly going to do a lot more ragtagging when I get to the Syrians. I want the Army to stand in for generic MENAs, and the combatants and fighters to be generic rebels and jihadists.

Anyway, back to the British, like this, ya think?

DPM-Desert1.png

DPM-Desert2.png

10 hours ago, mjkerner said:

I sorta remember that thread, Sequoia. In the field at various times, local conditions, etc., and depending on the higher-ups, there seems to be a lot of variation in uniform and kit. And I would think especially when new paterned uniforms were issued.  I'm certainly going to do a lot more ragtagging when I get to the Syrians. I want the Army to stand in for generic MENAs, and the combatants and fighters to be generic rebels and jihadists.

Anyway, back to the British, like this, ya think?

DPM-Desert1.png

DPM-Desert2.png

The DPM top and Desert DPM trouser mix was mainly an Afghan thing. DPM blended better in the Green Zone than Desert DPM so a lot of soldiers took their DPM smocks with them and would wear those on tasks that were likely to take them into the Green Zone. It was by no means universal and it was generally accepted by all, apart from the most bottom retentive chains of command.

Different uniform issues wouldn't come into play as a factor. Whenever I got new kit issue it was all or nothing, you never had the situation where the QM would say, 'we've only got trousers so have those now and you'll get your combat jacket/smock later'.

Edited by Combatintman

Woodland DPM looks a bit oversaturated

I live in Colchester homebase for the Paras and haven't seen the 'bright' Euro green DPM since Middle East deployments became more commonplace than Northern Ireland, Germany, etc

Here's some latest pics of Paras in Jordan wargaming > https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester-garrison-exercise-olive-grove-in-jordan-middle-east-1-5908637

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, Combatintman said:

The DPM top and Desert DPM trouser mix was mainly an Afghan thing. DPM blended better in the Green Zone than Desert DPM so a lot of soldiers took their DPM smocks with them and would wear those on tasks that were likely to take them into the Green Zone. It was by no means universal and it was generally accepted by all, apart from the most bottom retentive chains of command.

Different uniform issues wouldn't come into play as a factor. Whenever I got new kit issue it was all or nothing, you never had the situation where the QM would say, 'we've only got trousers so have those now and you'll get your combat jacket/smock later'.

Thanks for the information, Combatintman and Wicky. I wasn’t planning on actually doing up a version, at least not for the present. The pic above was, literally put together in about 3 minutes, just to see if that was the combo Sequoia was  talking about. I have samples of the “faded” woodland dpm when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I loved your work with your marine corps mod, it really spices up the game. But I have one piece of constructive criticism for you. Could you include the original UK skins in the mod release as well? The skins for unmodded blue forces are all variations of respective desert camouflage patterns. As an example, your marine reskins were all different patterns of woodland camouflage so it was difficult finding that good balance between woodland and desert loadouts like the DPM mixes shown earlier in the thread. So, by throwing the game's old skins and equipment in the mod, we can use both the old desert and new woodland skins and gear.

And a final quick question, do you plan to rag-tag the new uniforms and gear yourself or give us a few folders to tinker with ourselves?

Once again I really appreciate the work your doing here and I hope my comment aids the final product in some way.

Not sure I follow you, hypeman. You mean you would like a folder with the original uniforms (in BFC lingo, “skin” is the term used for the face textures) from the game in the mod download? If so, I can do that. But just so you know,  if you just use the Rezexplode tool, you can explode the original brz files and copy the uniforms and gear pretty easily yourself. Btw, I thought I would be done with this mod by now, but my Mother-in-law went into hospice two weeks ago, and passed away 3 days ago, so I haven’t been at it for a while.

Anyhoo, thanks for your interest and compliments, they are much appreciated. (As far as I can tell, there is no way of determining how many people downloaded the USMC mod, so I can’t tell how well received it was except by comments on the forums.) I’ll add a folder with the stock uniforms and gear when I upload this mod. (You may need to remind, though, cuz I ain’t getting any younger!)

3 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Not sure I follow you, hypeman. You mean you would like a folder with the original uniforms (in BFC lingo, “skin” is the term used for the face textures) from the game in the mod download? If so, I can do that. But just so you know,  if you just use the Rezexplode tool, you can explode the original brz files and copy the uniforms and gear pretty easily yourself. Btw, I thought I would be done with this mod by now, but my Mother-in-law went into hospice two weeks ago, and passed away 3 days ago, so I haven’t been at it for a while.

Anyhoo, thanks for your interest and compliments, they are much appreciated. (As far as I can tell, there is no way of determining how many people downloaded the USMC mod, so I can’t tell how well received it was except by comments on the forums.) I’ll add a folder with the stock uniforms and gear when I upload this mod. (You may need to remind, though, cuz I ain’t getting any younger!)

Lord take care, I am terribly sorry to hear about that. 

And yeah you got it, a folder with the original uniforms and equipment within the mod download would be much appreciated for this mod and future mods. 

I truly hope all goes well for you and your family.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement, Splinty.  Settling up my Mother-in-law's estate, cleaning out the house, etc., etc. has been taking up most of my time.  I also hit a big snag with the mod, when I discovered that a part of one of my template layers was fipped around. It was the seams in one of the base layers, so I wasted a lot of work and time. Don't know how I missed it.   Fingers crossed I can get this out the door in a week.

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 5:57 PM, mjkerner said:

Thanks for the encouragement, Splinty.  Settling up my Mother-in-law's estate, cleaning out the house, etc., etc. has been taking up most of my time.  I also hit a big snag with the mod, when I discovered that a part of one of my template layers was fipped around. It was the seams in one of the base layers, so I wasted a lot of work and time. Don't know how I missed it.   Fingers crossed I can get this out the door in a week.

@mjkernerhave you ceased work with this one? I hope that isn't the case; I am oh-so-excited for the mixed uniforms. 

Hey JM, sorry to keep you waiting. One thing after another this last year or so.  Since March, I've only had time to browse here. As one piece of ****e real life thingy is concluded or survived, it's time to take another bite of the ****e sandwich.  The thing is, I'm really close to finishing this one, at least the DPM version. Knock on wood, August is looking promising.

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, mjkerner said:

Hey JM, sorry to keep you waiting. One thing after another this last year or so.  Since March, I've only had time to browse here. As one piece of ****e real life thingy is concluded or survived, it's time to take another bite of the ****e sandwich.  The thing is, I'm really close to finishing this one, at least the DPM version. Knock on wood, August is looking promising.

No problem, was just curious! Hope everything is okay on you end mate.