What to do with CMSF1 game files?

Erwin

Are folks copying the CMSF1 QUICK BATTLE maps into CMSF2?  Or are all the QB maps updated and duplicated in CMSF2?  

What about CMSF1 Scenarios and Campaigns?  So many of them are user-made and am wondering if it's worth keeping em all, or if we should start fresh with only new stuff made specifically for CMSF2. 

Scenarios and campaigns will play in SF2. I’ve moved them all over to SF2 (renamed with “SF1” added at the end), and have played a few that were not updated because they weren’t part of the original BFC content. IIRC, all original QB maps were updated. It should be in the readme, or Ian or sburke will likely be along and confirm. It won’t hurt to migrate the fan made maps...they will work in SF2.

I know most user-made scenarios and campaign have not been updated, but good idea to rename them so no nasty surprises.  Don't want to get halfway thru a CMSF1 campaign only to find it unplayable.

The problem with QB maps is that all CMSF1 QB maps are named QB xxxx while the CMSF2 QB maps do not have that prefix and are names quite differently.  So, no way of telling which are the unique user-made maps, which are new QB maps or which are duplicated from CMSF1.

Many of the default CMSF1 QB maps are not worth saving, largely because they were first generation attempts at building AI orders in the then-new game engine (and original basic QB system). The initial learning curve was pretty steep. <_<

CMSF2 scenarios were renamed with 'SF2' at the end so you won't over-write them if you copy over old scenarios to compare against. The same does not hold true for campaigns. If you're careless you could inadvertently over-write them so be careful.

As to 3rd party scenarios, awhile ago I hunted down my own ancient Blue vs Blue "Lone Star Shopping Plaza" 3rd party scenario. Not only could it be played without modification, gameplay is greatly improved under the new game engine! That was a pleasant surprise. I would assume a lot of CMSF1 3rd party scenarios will see an improvement in gameplay without needing to adjust the scenario.

22 minutes ago, MarkEzra said:

I don't have a single CMSF1 QB Map in my QB Map File. 

Ah... Thanks.  That answers the question.  Am uninstalling CMSF1 on at least one of my systems - so, no reason to keep the CMSF1 QB maps.

What about the old scenarios and campaigns?  (Unfortunately, CMSF1 saved games will not run in CMSF2.)

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I have been playing several of the user-made SF1 scenarios. They play just fine. The main thing you notice is how designers used marsh instead of water tiles that didn't exist back then for rivers and canals. But that's mostly a visual issue.

There was a "Marsh to Water" (visual) mod for CMSF.

I've updated it with some alpha channels for Marsh reeds & a mini bitmap... but only tried it on one map so far (the opening battle of the Hasrabit campaign).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/040nt62x4egaaob/Marsh to water for CMSF1 scen%26camp.7z?dl=0

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Problem is that some CMSF1 campaigns may not play properly in CMSF2 and as I said, who wants to get halfway thru a campaign and find that out...?

I see three answers to your "problem"...

(i) Keep the scenarios & play them.

(iii) Keep the scenarios but don't play them.

(ii) Delete them to ease your "worries" & free up a few gb.

I feel you'll have to make this momentous decision on your own.

45 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Problem is that some CMSF1 campaigns may not play properly in CMSF2 and as I said, who wants to get halfway thru a campaign and find that out...?

Erwin try to play scenario by scenario/campaing if you want create two folders one zzz scecampworking  another one scencampNOworking 

Put the ones in the correct folder after the try ...and let it on the side, there are enough scan camp working to make you happy don't make you headache for some there doesn't  work !!

Maybe there is a translation issue, but unfortunately, I don't have time to spend dozens/hundreds of hours playing a campaign that proves to be unplayable after a bunch of missions.  Maybe some folks enjoy replaying campaigns (or scenarios) - but not me. 

Was hoping that by now, folks would have played enuff to recommend which work and which we have to wait to be updated to CMSF2 standards.  Appears that is not the case... 

No worries.  All campaigns and scenarios including user-made are now or soon will be available from the stuff sent to Bootie.

If you've got an old 3rd party scenario using marsh for water with false bridges instead of real you can do what the BFC Beta team did, crack the scenario open in the editor, repaint the marsh area with water tiles and plop a real bridge in place of the old one. Monkeying with old scenarios is fun! :P

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Monkeying with old scenarios is fun!

I totally understand that it is fun for you and some other folks here.  It is definitely not fun for others. 

What is hard to understand is why it seems so hard for some folks to understand the simple concept that what is fun for one person is not necessarily fun for another person.    No one is stopping you from your fun.  Why the persistent expectation that everyone else must enjoy the same activities? 

PS: I also hate football, and pretty much all spectator sports.  I love doing things like martial arts.  But, I don't expect members here to spar with me.  (However, in case you enjoy sparring, of course plz let me know and maybe we can enjoy that together.)

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

I totally understand that it is fun for you and some other folks here.  It is definitely not fun for others. 

What is hard to understand is why it seems so hard for some folks to understand the simple concept that what is fun for one person is not necessarily fun for another person.    No one is stopping you from your fun.  Why the persistent expectation that everyone else must enjoy the same activities? 

PS: I also hate football, and pretty much all spectator sports.  I love doing things like martial arts.  But, I don't expect members here to spar with me.  (However, in case you enjoy sparring, of course plz let me know and maybe we can enjoy that together.)

I don't believe MikeyD was responding to your particular "problem"... just the Marsh to Water (and other map) issues.

Nobody really knows what your issue is.

You appear to believe that playing CMSF1 scenarios in CMSF2 could hurt you in some, as yet unexplained, way.

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

You appear to believe that playing CMSF1 scenarios in CMSF2 could hurt you in some, as yet unexplained, way.

Just trying to get feedback from those who have tried the CMSF1 campaigns in CMSF2 re whether CMSF1 campaigns will function ok.  Am presuming that eventually many of the old CMSF1 campaigns will eventually be updated for CMSF2 and who wants to replay a campaign given the time commitment?

But, am getting the impression that no one(?) has actually played a CMSF1 campaign in CMSF2.   No worries...  Time will tell.

Edited by Erwin

When CMSF2 opens old CMSF1 scenarios it makes some automatic changes to fit the new game engine. For example the 'marsh' tile automatically turns into 'deep marsh' because plain-Jane 'marsh' in CMSF2 is crossable by infantry. Also obsolete Leopard 2s and T-72 are automatically replaced by the latest corrected models. Do Marines see an automatic reduction in M32 grenade launchers in old scenarios? I'm not sure. So there's not much (if anything) that will stop an old scenario in its tracks from being played. Steve had standing orders to the Beta testers to try out old scenarios and try to break the game.

Edited by MikeyD

On 2/21/2019 at 7:55 PM, MikeyD said:

When CMSF2 opens old CMSF1 scenarios it makes some automatic changes to fit the new game engine. For example the 'marsh' tile automatically turns into 'deep marsh' because plain-Jane 'marsh' in CMSF2 is crossable by infantry. Also obsolete Leopard 2s and T-72 are automatically replaced by the latest corrected models. Do Marines see an automatic reduction in M32 grenade launchers in old scenarios? I'm not sure. So there's not much (if anything) that will stop an old scenario in its tracks from being played. Steve had standing orders to the Beta testers to try out old scenarios and try to break the game.

The only thing I've noticed (other than the terrain compromises the old scenario makers had to make*) was the ditches converted to fences thing... and, as soon as I mentioned it, it got patched straight away.

It's been a few months now & nobodies reported anything serious... with either the old CMSF1 stuff or the newer stuff.

There's the usual fiddly pathfinding, QB purchase & TOE complaints... but that's it.

Certainly nothing game or campaign breaking.

*Asmar Crossing, for example, used a closed off highway to represent a wide river.