The Truelife* Mode PBEM DAR

I should have added it is also the reason I play WeGo only. I watched that little section of the battle, over and over and over again. As the player, when you bring the camera down to its lowest level and get right in and watch the battle playout as if you were the fourth man in this team, I am always impressed by all the little details the game models.

17 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

I should have added it is also the reason I play WeGo only. I watched that little section of the battle, over and over and over again. As the player, when you bring the camera down to its lowest level and get right in and watch the battle playout as if you were the fourth man in this team, I am always impressed by all the little details the game models.

+1  Yes this.  The replay ability of WeGo is very useful for both entertainment purposes and lessons learned.  

I can't count the number of times I've had something bad happen and thought "How did I screw that up?".  Then I watch the replay a few times, figure out what/how I screwed up and come away with another lesson learned for my AAR notes.         

• 2 weeks later...

Turn 1:51-1:50

There is not much action this turn, as I am waiting on some on map mortars to start firing. I am moving a few men and vehicles around in order to have them in the best positions possible to be able to take advantage of the covering fire from the mortars.

On the left with C Company, I lose two men to fire from RH as they move in a little closer. More of his men are seen fleeing and reveal themselves in the buildings. I have order the vehicles seen here to spread out a little so they can hopefully provide some supporting fire.

NkkrG2d.jpg

On the right by the church, a spotting round lands in the trees. There are two casualties, one light and one KIA. 

XlbQRaD.jpg

As well all know, it is always the important guy who gets hit...

OnnCwBK.jpg

znorVqH.jpg

All the men seen here are given orders to flee the area and hide for safety.

Turn 1:50-1:49

As the turn begins, the men flee the houses and head for the open field away from where the spotting rounds have been falling.

629e9Td.jpg

At the end of the last turn, this guy made an appearance. He appears to be firing at the tower of the church but has so far hit nothing.

5th2f7E.jpg

One of my two inch mortars had a clear line of sight and begins to drop rounds on him. I really hope a nice HE round will land in the back of the halftrack and set it ablaze. 

QlzrxRW.jpg

My sniper in the church tower spots this juicy target at the end of the turn. He is given orders to fire away at the men in the back. Hopefully he can pick off one or two... The two inch mortar round is exploding in the background.

Q6QqZvg.jpg

Over with C Company, these men continue to shift around in anticipation of the 81 mm rounds coming in. The trouble with playing Iron mode, these mortar rounds seem to take forever to come in.

y1Cgwju.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Is this one over?  What were your thoughts on the invisible floating icons for the OpFor?  Did they work well and would you use them in the future?  

It is not over yet, we have both been busy with some other projects, so not too sure when or if we will get back this.

The invisible icons worked amazingly well and add a whole new challenge to the game. I would use them again with a human player I know I can trust to use them as well, or in a scenario with victory conditions or battle parameters setup with this mod in mind. Remember the icons are a visual aid to the player only and make zero difference to how the AI fights.

I think this mod really shines on large maps with smaller forces and long timelines to complete your mission forcing you to spend plenty of time on scouting and keeping a reserve force available to react as new information becomes available. Low unit density on a larger map offers up plenty of opportunities for ambushes and flanking maneuvers. Your enemy won't know you are there until it is too late.

I have several scenario ideas in my head using this mod, and I hope to have a chance to make them.

2 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

The invisible icons worked amazingly well and add a whole new challenge to the game. I would use them again with a human player I know I can trust to use them as well, or in a scenario with victory conditions or battle parameters setup with this mod in mind. Remember the icons are a visual aid to the player only and make zero difference to how the AI fights.

I have several scenario ideas in my head using this mod, and I hope to have a chance to make them.

Sounds cool. 

I'm trying the mod in an old saved game I have against the AI in CMFB.  I'm also using parts of @37mm realism mod.  I think its fair to say the shorter tracers and no OpFor icons make the AI more of a challenge. :o  :D     

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm also using parts of @37mm realism mod.  I think its fair to say the shorter tracers...

Technically speaking I consider it a mix not a mod... Vein is the actual talent who made the tracers.

4 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Technically speaking I consider it a mix not a mod... Vein is the actual talent who made the tracers.

Ah, yes.  Realism mix.  I noticed the hit decals are pretty cool too.  More visible I think.  Anyways, nice realism mix.  Thanks for putting it together.   

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Ah, yes.  Realism mix.  I noticed the hit decals are pretty cool too.  More visible I think.  Anyways, nice realism mix.  Thanks for putting it together.   

Vein made them too... lol.

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm not sure.  I did a quick scan of the beginning of this thread and didn't notice any rules on this.  However, they are playing with enemy icons off.  I think this also means enemy tentative contact icons are off.  I'm not seeing tentative contact icons in the screenshots.  So if they are doing recon by fire it is really recon by fire. :D

chiming in here to check commentary on mods in use. (I skip any of HT´s posts for this purpose, as we might continue our game at a later time). Since enemy unit icons are out of play (per player POV), I´m 90% (or so) using CA´s and let units do to their liking. Occasionally do/did direct targeting when  needing concentrated fire of multiple units and then from unit ground level view and using virtual binocs (zoom in X-Z key) only. Bits more time consuming, but I like the increased realism. When in contact with enemy units I also let do units without CA´s (and direct targeting), but it depends.

• 7 months later...