PBEM REQUEST, TvT PBEM REQUEST TOO ORSHA MAP

Artkin

Hey let's get a TvT going on one of the Orsha maps. They're 5.7km x 3km ish. Battalion vs battalion? The maps definitely have interesting challenges not typically found elsewhere. A real tactical nightmare. Even an armored battle would be nuts. 

Untitled.png

Edited by Artkin

5 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

What is TvT?

Team versus Team of course! The thing that will rejuvinate CM for me if implemented :P

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Russian Seperatists vs. Ukrainian Militia?   Use the Ukrainian lists for both sides to keep things fair.

Besides the real world map location, the maps are super groggy. Perfect for CMBS and the war in Donbass. It's hell

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

Team versus Team of course! The thing that will rejuvinate CM for me if implemented :P

Ah, ok! I wondered if that was indeed what you meant. I’ve done it once, with @IanL as my teammate. It was a fun, despite him having to step in the shoes of another teammate who quit mid-battle due to a difficult personal situation. 

But I’d be terrible in CMBS. pity. :(

4 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

That looks very inviting. I have played TvT in some other non-Battlefront games and they are great. Not sure how it would work with the CM games though. I have to agree with Artkin, it would definitely give the CM titles some more versatility.

I am sure that @Artkin has a plan but what @Bud Backer and I did was (correct me if I get any of this wrong) share a couple of folders one just between us and one with the other players. It could have been a sub folder too - it really doesn't matter since the save is password protected too. Who played first varied some what but basically I used my regular turn manager to make sure I had the latest turn to watch and then, if it was my turn to go first I would issue my orders and save the game and copy that to our other folder so that  Bud could pick it up and finish his orders and the produce the .ema file for the other team. If he went first - just reverse the roles.

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Ah, ok! I wondered if that was indeed what you meant. I’ve done it once, with @IanL as my teammate. It was a fun, despite him having to step in the shoes of another teammate who quit mid-battle due to a difficult personal situation. 

But I’d be terrible in CMBS. pity. :(

Yes, it was fun. There were issues - if you think regular PBEM is slow... Sadly I am not able to commit the time to participate but I hope you find some players and have a blast. Make sure you report back here.

12 minutes ago, IanL said:

I am sure that @Artkin has a plan but what @Bud Backer and I did was (correct me if I get any of this wrong) share a couple of folders one just between us and one with the other players. It could have been a sub folder too - it really doesn't matter since the save is password protected too. Who played first varied some what but basically I used my regular turn manager to make sure I had the latest turn to watch and then, if it was my turn to go first I would issue my orders and save the game and copy that to our other folder so that  Bud could pick it up and finish his orders and the produce the .ema file for the other team. If he went first - just reverse the roles.

Yes, it was fun. There were issues - if you think regular PBEM is slow... Sadly I am not able to commit the time to participate but I hope you find some players and have a blast. Make sure you report back here.

Sounds doable and very interesting but I can see how slow a game might go and also what would happen if a team member were to drop out. As soon as I get back up to speed with the games I plan to purchase (toss up between Red Thunder and Last Blitzkrieg) I might be interested in giving a TvT a go. Of course, I have to get the new computer rig which I will be ordering this Friday. Finally a rig that can handle the CB games. Been a very long time. Oh, and I am upgrading my CMSF to 4 as well.

Edited by WhiteWolf65

Regarding speed - it wasn't too terrible. It helps when the partners for each side are in approximately the same time zone (Ian and I live minutes away from one another, as it happens) so he could take his part of the turn, pop it back into dropbox, and that same evening I take my turn and send it off the opponents. In our case they were in the UK, so it was there waiting for them when they got up, did their thing and was waiting for us by evening. 

Now, when one or more people are delayed, yes, it will slow things down but I don't want anyone to get the idea that this can't work fairly briskly, as long as everyone takes their part in a timely fashion.