Any flamethrower buffs here? Short range of German flame halftracks..

Might I suggest reviewing the Panzer Grenadier training film? There, you can see 251/16s in live fire. It would be interesting to know how high the flame projector could be angled upward, but in the film, the weapons are depressed to fire on infantry on the ground, which would obviously reduce the range.

Regards,

John Kettler

Ref reviewing the PG training film, please disregard, for I see a very blurry segment is already in the thread, a segment almost totally useless for this discussion. Likely more useful is this INTELLIGENCE BULLETIN item from LoneSentry on German flamethrower halftracks and their tactics. It lists the 251/16's range as 40 yards, which is 36.6 meters, a bit less than as currently modeled.

https://lonesentry.com/flamethrower/index.html

Regards,

John Kettler

21 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Ref reviewing the PG training film, please disregard, for I see a very blurry segment is already in the thread, a segment almost totally useless for this discussion. Likely more useful is this INTELLIGENCE BULLETIN item from LoneSentry on German flamethrower halftracks and their tactics. It lists the 251/16's range as 40 yards, which is 36.6 meters, a bit less than as currently modeled.

https://lonesentry.com/flamethrower/index.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John, I did see that page and there has been some discussion about whether the numbers presented could be wrong, since they possibly list the range when both projectors fire at the same time.

• 2 years later...

Military History Visualised just made a video about this vehicle. He says the range was not 33 metres but 40-60 metres, depending on wind and terrain.

So, it would be better to allow the player to plot a target line to 50 metres and then have a chance the flame will splash out to 60m, rather than to allow target line to 33 metres with a chance it will reach to 40, in my opinion.

Edited by Bulletpoint