[REF] (UK) The War Office's Field Service Pocket Book (Glossary, Abbreviations, Symbols 1943-1944)

CMFDR

No problem. I was looking at using the thing to assist me in making some icons. The other mods available for icons tend to be just Yankee or Hun versions. Could not see any Commonwealth ones which I tend to play as exclusively and therefore was wishing for. Barely started making though and not done any more on it since either.

Probably useful for some peoples Youtube channels also in their AAR videos!

Edited by Oliver_88

29 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It would be nice to have an Icon Mod based on that Pocket Book. 

This is also what I was thinking to make a difference with the usual US Icons Identification, (when we are using only the british force of course), a real british situation and not the "NATO model" like the US ones, a little like the OKW German Icons, a touch of reallity !
(Canadian Cat Icons) are the most close to the reality to representing the ww2 Icons, including Icons for CMRT, but...this is only MY opinion, correct me if I m wrong !

Doesn't @Bil Hardenberger  's set of icons look like this? These look like the symbols for individual tanks and guns.

My WW2 allied icons are the ones used on org charts or to represent whole units behind defensive lines on a map. The German icons don't have ones that represent individual tanks and guns just units. And the Soviet ones represent units and guns on a defensive or offensive stance. They are kind of cool in that the unit type symbols is embedded in the position marker or in a line for a convoy. So, my icons try to show a little bit of the position behind the infantry symbol to show that it represents more that one soldier.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Doesn't @Bil Hardenberger  's set of icons look like this? These look like the symbols for individual tanks and guns.

I presume that you are referring to http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=1120. Then in which case then nope. Similarities between some symbols but it's not the same. Compare the icons for machine guns and mortars to those on page 9 on the last link.

Edited by Oliver_88

Bil mentioned that his mod "Uses US Army WW2 map symbols to help identify unit types."

http://battledrill.blogspot.com/2014/01/cmbn-mods.html

Icon_Key.jpg

In his new format, for infantry, Bil use a symbol that seems to depict a whole unit , as Ian choose to too.

CMBN%2BIcon%2BKey.png

There is a mod that sports "authentic" symbols, for the Italian though

I'm contemplating the idea of doing an icon mod, from scratch, once I'll have honed my skills in 'toshop.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Oliver_88 said:

No problem. I was looking at using the thing to assist me in making some icons. The other mods available for icons tend to be just Yankee or Hun versions. Could not see any Commonwealth ones which I tend to play as exclusively and therefore was wishing for. Barely started making though and not done any more on it since either.

Probably useful for some peoples Youtube channels also in their AAR videos!

Yeps I forgot these...cos dont appear in cmmods III !!

Edited by 3j2m7

49 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Having looked at the pocket books above. I do have to ask........

Why, oh why, oh why, don't we have Pigeon Lofts in the game? I do wish BFC would buck their ideas up. Exits stage right ------------------------> Limey tongue in cheek.

Aerial objects aren't modelled … that's why ;)

Imagine the comedy if they were - cue threads like 'why can't I shoot down messenger pigeons?' and some Modder's inevitable Speckled Jim Mod.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:21 PM, CMFDR said:

Bil mentioned that his mod "Uses US Army WW2 map symbols to help identify unit types."

http://battledrill.blogspot.com/2014/01/cmbn-mods.html

Icon_Key.jpg

In his new format, for infantry, Bil use a symbol that seems to depict a whole unit , as Ian choose to too.

CMBN%2BIcon%2BKey.png

There is a mod that sports "authentic" symbols, for the Italian though

I'm contemplating the idea of doing an icon mod, from scratch, once I'll have honed my skills in 'toshop.

There is a more advanced and a cleaner updated version of my latest icons available here:  https://battledrill.blogspot.com/2018/11/threat-based-floating-icons.html

WW2+CM-Threat+Icon+Key.png

Bil