Weekend Challenge Battle

This weekends battle features a shattered American platoon cutoff and surrounded in a church. Your men must clear a path to them, hold the church and defend against a determined counterattack. Can you hold out long enough? This battle is fought as the Americans against the German AI in CMFB.

Battle to be posted this evening.

Well I just downloaded and tried the weekend #5 battle from last week.

I will just cut it short and sweet. 

major defeat, the germans had no losses, I was at 21 losses when I ceased fired. it appear that the only way I was taking the gun out was going to let it run out of ammo and basically I did everything wrong.

So excellent job on your force placement.

The troop selection makes this one very hard. I wanted a 60MM mortar so bad, and just was like, how am I to take this on.

Needless to say, I didn't and it kicked my butt.

Loved it, excellent job at making a devil of a little fight.

I want to hear a success story of someone who has a nice win  playing this one for the first time. 

I am pretty sure of one thing, they went up the other flank from what I did likely.

Challenge battle #6 is not like the other battles in this series. It features a city battle with lots of support. Tanks, arty, and CAS all show up in this battle. It also features holding onto a key piece of terrain at all costs instead of focusing on limiting casualties. Be prepared for a serious and vicious counterattack, keeping casualties low is going to be near impossible. There is only one AI plan, but it gives a hell of a fight. In my play through it took all the tools given to score the victory. The last play test took until the last turn to secure the objective completely. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. Please play this battle all the way to the end of the battle clock for the full experience. Good Luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k5v42gds4y7e2so/AADyXv9MCabs64EVeJJFv0jua?dl=0

6 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Challenge battle #6 is not like the other battles in this series. It features a city battle with lots of support. Tanks, arty, and CAS all show up in this battle. It also features holding onto a key piece of terrain at all costs instead of focusing on limiting casualties. Be prepared for a serious and vicious counterattack, keeping casualties low is going to be near impossible. There is only one AI plan, but it gives a hell of a fight. In my play through it took all the tools given to score the victory. The last play test took until the last turn to secure the objective completely. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. Please play this battle all the way to the end of the battle clock for the full experience. Good Luck!

Great, another weekend battle :) Thanks for doing these. I'm happy to see it's CMFB this time, so I'm reporting for duty again.

Question: Am I allowed to move the target reference points before starting the battle?

Edited by Bulletpoint

16 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

This weekends battle features a shattered American platoon cutoff and surrounded in a church. Your men must clear a path to them, hold the church and defend against a determined counterattack. Can you hold out long enough? This battle is fought as the Americans against the German AI in CMFB.

Battle to be posted this evening.

you seemed be inspired by our PBEM! :D

That was easy.

N11ICc8.jpg

mmbRm7L.jpg

TBH

I found this battle to be quite boring.

It took 10 min to reach the church while taking almost no casualties and afterwards it was simply a game of waiting for the assault wave to apear and then destroy it with arty.

I only actually watched about 15 of the turns since nothing of relevance happened. Either no enemy in sight or they were pounded by arty.

This would have been far more interesting if the germans used smoke to cover themselves while crossing the roads.

Looking forward to the next one though.

Sorry if this one ends up being too easy or boring. Seems the last battle gave everyone a real hard time and I may have gone overboard with the support assets in this one. If you are worried about it being too easy, move the TRP's at the start of the battle so you can't use them. I added them at the end of my last play test. I knew the who, what, where and whens of the incoming attack and had to mount a true last minute counterattack to seize the objective back. It was a very close run battle.

Ok, just finished #6, also won a total victory when the enemy surrendered (at the very last turn). Didn't feel it was difficult, and towards the end I got careless. That might have contributed to having way more casualties than the others who played the mission. I also lost too many AFVs, basically due to having put them in very unlucky positions compared to where the enemy groups appeared.

Me:

101 men OK

40 men killed

15 men wounded

0 men missing

6 (!) tanks lost

Enemy:

43 OK

154 killed

58 wounded

1 man missing

1 tank lost

Conclusion:

Still thank you for putting this weekend challenge together, but this game just doesn't work when having the enemy attack. It always turns into a turkey shoot.

Edited by Bulletpoint

In this scenario, it was hunting turkeys, for one reason the attackers had too little support. Only 2 x stug and no artillery, let's say 150mm artillery for axis and two panthers more then it would be a challenge.
This scenario was bigger than the others, what he did not work out for good. He was just the weakest. I always said that small is beautiful.                                                             I am waiting for the next challenge.

2 hours ago, mirekm61 said:

In this scenario, it was hunting turkeys, for one reason the attackers had too little support. Only 2 x stug and no artillery, let's say 150mm artillery for axis and two panthers more then it would be a challenge.

I was actually sure there'd be heavy artillery coming down on the church, so I limited the amount of troops there and made them hide.

A Nebelwerfer barrage would have been fitting, but it's like in this game, the Germans somehow forgot they have those :)

@Heirloom_Tomato, I downloaded them all, but haven't played them yet (will probably do at some point)...Now, and to take off any pressure, I think it's best if you come out with these type of Scenario's once a Month (beginning or end). This will give you time to spend with Family, Work, and other Projects, and players will still have something to look forward to when that Scenario comes out. 

Just a Friendly Suggestion :-)

Joe 

Edited by JoMc67

37 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I was actually sure there'd be heavy artillery coming down on the church, so I limited the amount of troops there and made them hide.

A Nebelwerfer barrage would have been fitting, but it's like in this game, the Germans somehow forgot they have those :)

just following here, though interested to play one or the other if finding time. Had this mission the AI beeing the attacker? Hard to pull of with supporting AI Arty. If it´s any possible or preplanned Atry to fall in a given target area, then apparently the AI takes something like a safety distance into consideration, in order to not hit friendlies in the area. Something like a hundred to 300m, depending on Arty calibers. Haven´t tested deliberately putting a preplanned on friendlies for AI, which would open some new mission creation possibilities.

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Hard to pull of with supporting AI Arty. If it´s any possible or preplanned Atry to fall in a given target area, then apparently the AI takes something like a safety distance into consideration, in order to not hit friendlies in the area.

Not sure if the computer considers friendly fire with artillery, but the mission had plenty of time before the attackers appeared that it could have fired away without a care in the world.

When I said the Germans "forget" they have Nebelwerfers, it's just that the human designers rarely add them to scenarios.

Artillery from outside the AI map can only be brought in the first round. This is a serious difficulty in the scenario. Let AI use artillery during the scenario
- artillery must be on the map (mortar, cannon)
- the observer must see the enemy and have contact with the artillery, preferably radio. After a few minutes the area will fire.
This is to be done.
You can also enter units with the order to fire the area.

1 hour ago, mirekm61 said:

Artillery from outside the AI map can only be brought in the first round. This is a serious difficulty in the scenario. Let AI use artillery during the scenario
- artillery must be on the map (mortar, cannon)
- the observer must see the enemy and have contact with the artillery, preferably radio. After a few minutes the area will fire.
This is to be done.
You can also enter units with the order to fire the area.

that´s some the preconditions, yes. During scenario AI Arty calling can be more reliably triggered with TRP´s in enemy areas AND with LOS to any viable FO. AIP off board Arty can also be brought in and put into effect, by use of reinforcements! As long as any AIP FO has LOS to any the TRP it will attempt calling Arty. IF given safety distance to any AIP friendlies is maintained. Tested and proofed in one my missions. Also works: Having a TRP in enemy (rear) area that can not be initially observed by any AIP´s units in starting phases. I got a single group FO "order triggered" by another unit that first had to clear an area and once achieved, the FO followed and gained LOS to the new TRP (formerly no LOS). If the human opponent had any units in the new TRP area and sighted by the AIP FO, Arty strikes were called in. Required safety distance provided.  

21 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

just following here, though interested to play one or the other if finding time. Had this mission the AI beeing the attacker? Hard to pull of with supporting AI Arty. If it´s any possible or preplanned Atry to fall in a given target area, then apparently the AI takes something like a safety distance into consideration, in order to not hit friendlies in the area. Something like a hundred to 300m, depending on Arty calibers. Haven´t tested deliberately putting a preplanned on friendlies for AI, which would open some new mission creation possibilities.

The designer can assign preplanned (AI Plan) arty fire on AI 'Friendlies'. And when the scenario starts AI will bombard and massacre its own units. Just paint the area required. 

1 hour ago, George MC said:

The designer can assign preplanned (AI Plan) arty fire on AI 'Friendlies'. And when the scenario starts AI will bombard and massacre its own units. Just paint the area required. 

thanks @George MC That is exactly what I had in mind. One can "simulate" Arty fire for the human player out of hand so to say. Game wise it makes no difference if i.e US 80mm mortar rains down on the US AIP positions, if it´s meant to be "out of hand" german human players 80mm ones. B)

This weekends challenge battle features an Italian attack on an American held position in a "What If" battle. It is for CMFI and you will play as the Italians. The Gustav Line bundle should not be needed for this battle. There is some AFV support for this battle, however use it with caution. Each AFV spotted by the Americans will award them points and could tip the battle in their favor. Use your infantry as best as you can!