NATO Units????

WhiteWolf65

6 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

1st of 4th is a dedicated OPFOR unit so it using dated equipment is by no means a good measure of what is front line equipment, @sburke

wasn't suggesting it was.  Was merely noting the paint scheme and track configuration.  I am pretty certain I knew the M113 is not standard front line equipment...…  :P  

30 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Glad you know :^), just pointing out that it's all the more reason not to see it in.

I wouldn't be opposed as long as they included a variant that has the m47 Dragon mounted on top.

image.png.7c49fa2b310f93393f10bea9ec48b62e.png

With Ukraine essentially being the Soviets circa 1985, we could finally have our cold war gone hot game in the form of Black Sea.

Edited by sid_burn

50 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Glad you know :^), just pointing out that it's all the more reason not to see it in.

You really feel the need to tell other folks what they should or should not want in the game?  🙄

Don't kill my dreams.  💀

Samarra Iraq 2008

US_M113_in_Samarra_Iraq.jpg

Edited by sburke

8 minutes ago, sburke said:

You really feel the need to tell other folks what they should or should not want in the game?  🙄

Don't kill my dreams.  💀

Samarra Iraq 2008

Only when it's asinine. Yes, a m113 in an insurgency - definitely a front-line unit for a conventional, fictional conflict. 

3 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Battlefront games are really good at getting exact TO&E. Since a M113 model was already in the game I wonder why this HQ vehicle was left out? I'm not expecting every element (maintenance and chow trucks etc and of course Medics) but this M113 seems like it would be part of the combat element .

There was a massive (and inevitably heated) debate about it after the original CMSF was launched. The view was that vehicles in-game should be combat, command or combat support only and the M-113 fell outside of those brackets. No different from the Brits really, armoured and armoured infantry units typically have a couple of FV-432s in Coy HQs performing similar functions to the M-113s in their US equivalents (ambulance and carting around the suppliers) but do not appear in the TO&E because of the Battlefront policy.

13 minutes ago, sburke said:

Don't kill my dreams.  💀

Samarra Iraq 2008

US_M113_in_Samarra_Iraq.jpg

It would be great if a modder could crack on with those early OIF era uniforms. I have a scenario in progress that would be improved by said uniform mod.

6 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Only when it's asinine. Yes, a m113 in an insurgency - definitely a front-line unit for a conventional, fictional conflict. 

gee thanks really appreciate the positive helpful feedback that is not at all opinionated.  Must be an East Sussex thing.  How much different (and civil) it could be if you had said for example - "Yes, an m113 in an insurgency - but definitely not a front-line unit for a conventional, fictional conflict."

40 minutes ago, sburke said:

gee thanks really appreciate the positive helpful feedback that is not at all opinionated.  Must be an East Sussex thing.  How much different (and civil) it could be if you had said for example - "Yes, an m113 in an insurgency - but definitely not a front-line unit for a conventional, fictional conflict."

I think @Rinaldi is also missing the great mod potential here. The m113 is still in front line service with a lot of senior NATO partners who somebody might want to mod in. I could easily see people modding in scenarios for major NATO allies like Turkey, Norway, Lithuania, and Greece, who all use the M113 still (which might make up for Steve's unusual dlc choices).

Edited by sid_burn

37 minutes ago, sid_burn said:

I think @Rinaldi is also missing the great mod potential here. The m113 is still in front line service with a lot of senior NATO partners who somebody might want to mod in. I could easily see people modding in scenarios for major NATO allies like Turkey, Norway, Lithuania, and Greece, who all use the M113 still (which might make up for Steve's unusual dlc choices).

Yeah I wasn't going there because I thought it was so freaking obvious especially when the whole description included fictional conflict.  Heck modding it as a medevac vehicle alone would be cool. But honestly given the forces and time frame I think it works better in CMSF2.. and there is already a vehicle close enough in there.  I also love @Combatintman noting about another mod for it, but this is a CMBS thread so I am pretty much taking it off the rails.  Sorry  🤐

Edited by sburke

5 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

This is sort of on topic, but it relates to Shock Force. What about the addition of the Israelis? That would make for some interesting scenarios and might be a way to include the M-113s and it's variants.

I have wondered about this as well. It does seem a good fit. I think it probably has to do with the difficulty in putting together the TO&E. As I understand it, the Israeli's modify a lot of their equipment to suit their specific needs. So the coding and making of the models would probably be very time consuming.

If, and it is a BIG IF, any other army is added to Shock Force in a module, Steve had mentioned it would be the French. If you want to discuss it more we should take it to the Shock Force forums where if you really want me to I will find the posts.  

Oh and I'm surprised no one has made the Gavin reference yet. :)

Edited by Sequoia
PS

41 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

If, and it is a BIG IF, any other army is added to Shock Force in a module, Steve had mentioned it would be the French. If you want to discuss it more we should take it to the Shock Force forums where if you really want me to I will find the posts.  

Oh and I'm surprised no one has made the Gavin reference yet. :)

If you would like to make a similar post to the Shock Force forums, I would appreciate that (still learning some of the ins and outs with the forums). The French???? Hmm, I'd have to give that one some thought but the LeClerc MBT would be interesting to see.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, IanL said:

Those will not likely be added to the game. The T14 and it's variants are not being fielded to this day and certainly none were fielded during the time frame that CMBS is set. These are just prototype vehicles even now in 2019.

Agreed. I got carried away.🙄

On 2/15/2019 at 8:43 AM, Sequoia said:

Battlefront games are really good at getting exact TO&E. Since a M113 model was already in the game I wonder why this HQ vehicle was left out? I'm not expecting every element (maintenance and chow trucks etc and of course Medics) but this M113 seems like it would be part of the combat element .

It's pretty close to a chow truck/maintenance vehicle.  Both US Mech infantry and Armor companies have the M113 in the Company HQ, but in practical terms it's a way for the Company 1SG and HQ personnel (mechanics, clerk, chemical protection NCO etc) to have a protected ride.  You also generally have an M113 ambulance attached.

By 2014 the M113 was really very rare outside of HQs from my experience.  1 ABCT 2 ID back when that existed (2014 weirdly enough!) only had them in the Company HQs in the base model, plus ambulances and the various command post/mortar carrier variants.  The engineers were all in M2s of some vintage (I think they might have been in A2 ODSes, but might have also been A3s as thats what the rest of the BCT used).  

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, sid_burn said:

Really? Wow.

God Bless Ukraine, I'm so glad we live in this timeline. We could have lived in boring times instead.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-biggest-enemy-threadbare-army-bundeswehr/

On a recent trip to Lithuania, where about 450 German soldiers are stationed as part of a NATO mission to deter Russian aggression, U.S. officials were dismayed to discover Bundeswehr personnel communicating on unsecure mobile phones due to a shortage of secure radio equipment.