Crossing Arnhem Bridge Is Very Buggy

Hi,

I realize criticizing this game is blasphemous but I simply cannot stay quiet on this...

Having vehicles crossing the large Arnhem bridge is ridiculously painful due to the pathetic bugs in the code.  How the hell did this escape testing?

I observe vehicles dropping off the bridge onto whatever's below and then back on the bridge...rinse and repeat.

I also observe vehicles stuck in the same spot on the bridge moving forward then instantly back, repeating this forever.

These issues will probably never get fixed but they should as these bugs totally detract from the game experience.

It should be noted that these issues are intermittent but frequent enough that it is very distracting.

Rob

7 hours ago, robonline said:

Hi,

I realize criticizing this game is blasphemous but I simply cannot stay quiet on this...

Having vehicles crossing the large Arnhem bridge is ridiculously painful due to the pathetic bugs in the code.  How the hell did this escape testing?

I observe vehicles dropping off the bridge onto whatever's below and then back on the bridge...rinse and repeat.

I also observe vehicles stuck in the same spot on the bridge moving forward then instantly back, repeating this forever.

These issues will probably never get fixed but they should as these bugs totally detract from the game experience.

It should be noted that these issues are intermittent but frequent enough that it is very distracting.

Rob

I completely agree with this, for me they just keep zig-zagging and it takes forever for them to cross the damn bridge.

Hi,

Blasphemer! ;)

Well, I don't know about the other Beta testers, but I never drove a vehicle over the bridge. I tested a LOT of battles/behaviors, but they did not have anyone crossing...except for the one with recce unit on the bridge. That worked fine.

Rob

Do you have specifics on when it happens and what units? I can poke at it, but if it is intermittent, then it would be helpful to have a start point.

No guarantees, but if I can reliably get it to happen, there's a much better chance it can be fixed.

I haven't encountered a "bridge bug" per se with the Arnhem Road Bridge. Perhaps that is because I used time delays on my vehicles so that they are not trying to occupy the same AS at the same time. However, I did have a massive bug with "Joe's Bridge". Any Bren or Sherman that I tried to send across get stuck halfway. I'd reverse them off and try again. But no matter what I tried I couldn't cross that bridge, Eventually a Bren got stuck with it's bow poking out of the bottom of the bridge. And that mission ended with my stuck column of vehicles getting shot up by counter-attacking forces. 

It has been a while but I have had many vehicles cross that bridge just fine. So, there is that.

Yes, bridges are a pain in the keister but lots and lots of bugs have been fixed over the years - they get reported and they get fixed.

Ideally having a save of the orders issued and the results but in lieu of that just a save of the results has been enough in the past. So, next time you have a vehicle do that: stop and save the turn come back here and share a dropbox link. No one can fix things if they don't get reported.

As a PSA here is the recommended way to order a vehicle to cross a bridge:

1. Issue whatever orders you need to get to the ground in front of the bridge
  2. Place a move order on the ground in front of the bridge.
  3. Place another move order on the ground on the other side of the bridge.
  4. Watch happily as your vehicle moves across successfully :D

The consequences of traffic congestion on a bridge is worse that on roads so allow extra space between vehicles.