Edge of Darkness - Introducing SnailKrieg!

JulianJ

I have just started playing Edge of Darkness, which is a bunch of 5 Scots taking a town. I am playing some bagpipe music to lift my Jocks' morale, even if it annoys me!

(love the classic Brit TV series names btw)

I won't do any spoilers, but I was puzzled that some of my reinforcments - namely the assault pioneer section + HQ + Land Rover didn't turn up (OK that may be a normal HQ Snafu!) when they were supposed to; 7 Platoon arrived but not them.  I could do with more smellies on the ground for an urban dust up - my Glaswegian scum love it! Is a straight razor prohibited in close combat?

I am operating SnailKrieg, a form of warfare I pioneered in BS.  It's exactly like BlitzKrieg but much...much slower. I creep up by inches. It does work and only goes wrong when I get bored in the later stages of the game and take unnecessary risks. The Javelin infantry aren't due till D+45. I really need them and don't feel like going down while there are several active BMPs which are going to do me a terrible mischief if I expose myself (?!).

I just took a peek in the editor. The 5 minute R1 reinforcement 'HQ' is just the platoon HQ (which barely counts as a HQ unit in my eyes). I see TUM WMIK or two, too. CMSF2 doesn't have a Brit unit named 'assault pioneers' (though it does have 'engineers' which aren't in the scenario). I've got to assume the scenario author picked an inf unit and simply decided they were 'assault pioneers' for the purposes of the scenario.

OK, Mikey, I obviously didn't peek, that would not be cricket old man, but the briefing says you get 7 platoon, plus the WMIKs AND the assault pioneers + their HQ + a TUM ST - the latter definitely didn't turn up.So I expected another 10 men and a Land Rover.  [Whinge, whinge...didn't that SOB Rumsfeld say that you fight with the army you have, not what you want? Mind you I don't think he ever did a day in the dirt...]

47 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

CMSF2 doesn't have a Brit unit named 'assault pioneers' 

Ignore Mikey (never a bad plan), but a platoon of assorted peanuts are found in the manoeuvre company of a British infantry battalion.

Having said that, none are included in the scenario, and only the designer can confirm if they should be showing, but as you advise it does look like the HQ team and one section of pioneers should be included.

P

2 hours ago, JulianJ said:

I have just started playing Edge of Darkness, which is a bunch of 5 Scots taking a town. I am playing some bagpipe music to lift my Jocks' morale, even if it annoys me!

(love the classic Brit TV series names btw)

I won't do any spoilers, but I was puzzled that some of my reinforcments - namely the assault pioneer section + HQ + Land Rover didn't turn up (OK that may be a normal HQ Snafu!) when they were supposed to; 7 Platoon arrived but not them.  I could do with more smellies on the ground for an urban dust up - my Glaswegian scum love it! Is a straight razor prohibited in close combat?

I am operating SnailKrieg, a form of warfare I pioneered in BS.  It's exactly like BlitzKrieg but much...much slower. I creep up by inches. It does work and only goes wrong when I get bored in the later stages of the game and take unnecessary risks. The Javelin infantry aren't due till D+45. I really need them and don't feel like going down while there are several active BMPs which are going to do me a terrible mischief if I expose myself (?!).

You need some authentic Jockanese  http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=6296 in your scenario :)