Interesting Read for IT Guys

kevinkin

I'm not surprised. When I was an intern in IT, one of my tasks was to go around a factory and call center and document everything hooked up to the network. This includes all computers, switches, and machines. I've found things that our Sys. Admin couldn't believe. I've added an old ass hub to our museum of relics.

This guy is obviously an amateur at embedded systems. A Pi and a USB dongle, really? Guy couldn't make his own PCB or use encrypted MCU binaries instead of an open-source OS? Who is this guy? Mr. Bean?

Hell, I'd try to disguise my snooper as a network switch or a wall socket. 

I'm guessing this was done by some punk kid. This being said, the easiest way to break into a system is by going around the office/site and picking up sticky notes with folks' passwords on it -- or go through the bin and find them. So if they knew what they were doing, they'd easily already have wifi SSID and passwords. I've seen employees writing down their Citrix log-ins and sticking them on their monitor.

Lesson of the day: don't let random people test their embedded systems in your server room.

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

This guy is obviously an amateur at embedded systems. A Pi and a USB dongle, really? Guy couldn't make his own PCB or use encrypted MCU binaries instead of an open-source OS? Who is this guy? Mr. Bean?

LOL what ever gets the jog done. I was surprised with the no attempt to hid their identity - yikes.

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

Hell, I'd try to disguise my snooper as a network switch or a wall socket. 

Now that's is solid advice :D

Biggest cyber threat to manufacturers and utilities are internal threats.  A lot of it comes about because ops people never change passwords.  Former employees can access any of it that isn't secured.

People rave about "Russian" threats to the grid.  Its more likely that engineer you fired a year ago screwing around in your DMS.