Is there a trick to go from "Deploy Weapon" to "Hide" when assigning the end waypoint?

Crew served weapons that need to be deployed by an action command seem to have a mind of their own after reaching their final endpoint, especially, when given the instructions to "Deploy Weapon", then "Hide". They always deploy the weapon, but, almost, never go into hiding.

The worst, of the whole bunch, is the  "U.K."  platoon, level, headquarters units, they carry a 51mm mortar that, automatically, deploys at the end of a movement command.

Issuing them a simple move to and hide command ends with them moving to, but, never hiding.

It sucks, when you move your whole platoon, quietly, into a position that flanks your objective, only to turn around and watch your platoon commanders stand up and expose themselves to the enemy, before you.

4 hours ago, Ch53dVet said:

Crew served weapons that need to be deployed by an action command seem to have a mind of their own after reaching their final endpoint, especially, when given the instructions to "Deploy Weapon", then "Hide". They always deploy the weapon, but, almost, never go into hiding.

If ordered to Deploy and Hide at same waypoint on same turn the crew served weapon will ignore the Hide order.  You should Deploy one turn and Hide on a later turn except during setup.

10 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If ordered to Deploy and Hide at same waypoint on same turn the crew served weapon will ignore the Hide order.  You should Deploy one turn and Hide on a later turn except during setup.

Is this because one can only stack one Movement, Combat, and, Specials command at any one waypoint time during play (outside of setup)?

I can't find a reference in the v4 engine manual at the moment so, this could be my imagination.

Also, Admin commands are done at a standstill as in no waypoint(s) on any team(s) involved.

Well that sucks. How does the game UI handle that? For example if I put a face, and pause command on the last way point indicators for both show up. If it add a target then the face is removed and the target command is shown.

What I am asking is can you setup the commands such that the last way point displays the word deploy and the word hide? If the UI is indicating that hide is enabled then there is a bug we can log. Either the game should remove the command it cannot do or execute everything it says it will. Clearly the later would be better...

1 hour ago, Howler said:

Is this because one can only stack one Movement, Combat, and, Specials command at any one waypoint time during play (outside of setup)?  

Yes.  The information for stacking commands can be found in the tutorial sections of the individual game manuals.  Example: CMFB game manual (not engine) page 32 & 33 Stacking Commands.    A waypoint can contain one command each from the Movement, Combat and Special command tabs. 

45 minutes ago, IanL said:

What I am asking is can you setup the commands such that the last way point displays the word deploy and the word hide? 

Yes the UI will display both Hide and Deploy Weapon.  But since they are both from the Special Command tab the AI will just Deploy Weapon and ignore Hide.  I don't know why it always chooses Deploy over Hide since Hide displays at the waypoint above Deploy.  One of the many mysteries of the UI............ :)

1 hour ago, IanL said:

What I am asking is can you setup the commands such that the last way point displays the word deploy and the word hide? If the UI is indicating that hide is enabled then there is a bug we can log. Either the game should remove the command it cannot do or execute everything it says it will. Clearly the later would be better...

I've seen deploy/hide on waypoints. Hide/OpenUp are two 'toggle' commands that have given me problems in the past by incorrectly reporting current state. Further, UK HQs (with mortar) tend to automatically set 'deploy' commands at every waypoint.

All of which can lead to some consternation during playback. I usually check the unit visually and by referencing the unit status text display on the lower left. Hit the command at issue a couple of times (ie toggling) usual clears the state with the GUI button leaving the unit to behave as intended.

Our post crossed. Thanks for the reference on command stacking.

Edited by Howler
Added last sentence.

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

It sounds like it might be a bug however surely a cover arc can stop your pixeltruppen from giving away their positions?

Yes a Target Arc is from a different command tab than Deploy Weapon so they will work at the same waypoint on the same turn. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

It might just be the UI. I know from playing a PBEM mission in CMRT that Soviet HMG teams will deploy on EVERY waypoint in a movement, and I don't give them that command. It's probably because the HMGis on wheels and therefore already deployed when they stop.

That's probably the same for the Brit 51mm mortar. If it has a bipod and baseplate attached to it, there's no need to deploy it when it's placed on the deck. With a U.S. 60mm mortar, the baseplate, bipod, and sights are all separate units and have to be assembled to the tube. Same thing with the MG. you have assemble the traverse and elevation mechanism (T&E) onto the tripod, and mount the gun onto the tripod and connect it to the T&E. That's why the 60mm mortar and MG show "semi-deployed" or "deployed." In Vietnam, many mortar teams simply jammed the ball on the base of the mortar into the dirt and fired "Kentucky Windage" using an asbestos barrel change glove that was "procured" from an M-60 T&E bag. Much faster to get into operation.

11 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

It might just be the UI. I know from playing a PBEM mission in CMRT that Soviet HMG teams will deploy on EVERY waypoint in a movement, and I don't give them that command. It's probably because the HMGis on wheels and therefore already deployed when they stop.

That's probably the same for the Brit 51mm mortar. If it has a bipod and baseplate attached to it, there's no need to deploy it when it's placed on the deck. With a U.S. 60mm mortar, the baseplate, bipod, and sights are all separate units and have to be assembled to the tube. Same thing with the MG. you have assemble the traverse and elevation mechanism (T&E) onto the tripod, and mount the gun onto the tripod and connect it to the T&E. That's why the 60mm mortar and MG show "semi-deployed" or "deployed." In Vietnam, many mortar teams simply jammed the ball on the base of the mortar into the dirt and fired "Kentucky Windage" using an asbestos barrel change glove that was "procured" from an M-60 T&E bag. Much faster to get into operation.

The 51mm is just a tube and is an updated version of the British WW2 2" mortar.

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I found to my annoyance that you cannot give a unit a 360° covered arc and a face command both. The face command negates the covered arc.

Michael

Indeed. What I do is give a 180 ish cover arch centred where I want them facing. Then in a future turn change it into a 360.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

The problem is I'm not stacking the UK, platoon level, HQ's with move/deploy/hide waypoint commands. I'm giving them move to and hide commands, they move to the endpoint and never hide, because, deploy weapon has been hard coded to be the last command executed upon reaching all movement type waypoints.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, IanL said:

Indeed. What I do is give a 180 ish cover arch centred where I want them facing. Then in a future turn change it into a 360.

I miss the removal of the auto 180 degree cover arc command, it made placing 180 degree cover arcs for your troops to face, hassle free, and quick. I wish it could be brought back into the command menu.

2 hours ago, Ch53dVet said:

I miss the removal of the auto 180 degree cover arc command, it made placing 180 degree cover arcs for your troops to face, hassle free, and quick. I wish it could be brought back into the command menu.

+1 :lol:  CM1 featured a one-click 180 degree arc and I have taken SO much flak since CM2 came out for asking the same question.  You'd think it would be a no brainer feature, but...  :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd mention this. Have you considered playing Realtime instead of We-Go? (I imagine die-hard We-Go players are now recoiling in horror at the thought. ^_^) If you're struggling with your inability to do multiple commands concurrently give Realtime a try. Give your unit a deploy order, a face order, and a hide order one after the other. No one minute time intervals to struggle with. Each mode of gameplay has its own downside... and each mode of gameplay has its own upside too.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, IanL said:

What about giving them a facing or 180 arc, then a pause and a move to the same location, followed by the target arc?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:42 PM, Ch53dVet said:

Issuing them a simple move to and hide command ends with them moving to, but, never hiding.

IIRC many weapons can move a short distance while remaining deployed, so perhaps you could move to a spot outside LOS but as close to your end position as possible, deploy the weapon and then use one or more short move commands with pauses between them to get the unit into it's final position?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What about giving them a facing or 180 arc, then a pause and

This will be ignored once ...

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

a move to the same location, followed by the target arc?

... the final movement leg is executed and the new target arc is respected.

So I am unsure if the first facing or target arc would have any effect on the team's final orientation since the final way point has its own target arc.