USMC Helmets and Gear

Since the Marines are historically, chronically short of supplies, I thought it my patriotic duty to make some stuff for them.  Not posted yet because I need to become an author on CMMODS and double-check them for the umpteenth time, but hopefully by tomorrow. These are in Marpat Digital, Woodland, and plain OD Green. Each type will have 3 folders, for Gear, Helmets and Vests, so you'll be able to mix and match to give them a ragtag look if you want.

Uniforms will follow soon.

woodland%201.png

woodland%202.png

digital%202.png

digital%201_1.png

OD1.png

OD3.png

They look great, especially the good ol' woodlands! You'll have to teach me how you were able to remove the vanilla camo textures from the helmet covers. I've managed to rework the Syrian vehicle camo, but haven't had any luck with infantry textures that don't start as a flat color (like the Marine vests or Syrian reservist infantry OD uniforms)

A quick suggestion, to my eye the woodland pattern looks a tad on the small side. It might be worth playing around with the scale of the texture itself, if you're using photoshop. If you can't rework it no worries. Things like that tend to be highly subjective. Great work!

Thanks boyos, glad you are liking them.  

@CptMiller, thanks for the critique, I need feedback.  There are a couple of tricks. mostly finding other models that are close and have no pattern.  A lot of cutting and pasting, and in the end, sometimes you have to make a new one from scratch, which I am only learning now, so that is why I wasn't going to do the full uniforms.  We'll see.  As for the size, that was bugging me. First run through was too large, but I agree that these are a little small. I have master templates for each and every piece of gear, helmets, etc. (one of the things that took me so long to complete for the various nations), so I can adjust fairly easy. I say "fairly" because I just de-saturated my first run through this morning for all the Woodland gear and uniform, and it only took a couple of hours.

@JohnO, thanks, but it might be a while, lol! Maybe if this G-Damn cold I picked up...from my doctor, no less!...relents I can get back to the uniforms soon.

@rocketman, see above, lol!  I added a tad saturation to the pictures before I posted them, but I agree the originals I did for both the Woodland and Digital need more de-saturation.

@Cambronne.....cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste,cut and paste,cut and paste,cut and paste, ad infinitum!

Thanks Mr. Burke. Everyone else's Moms told me they all washed their hands.  You may be the only unwashed one here!

My cold is wasting me, but I finally got the first pass at the full uniform done. No fine tuning yet, but I wanted to know what you all think of the size of the pattern and the coloring (of the uniform--I haven't re-messed with the gear yet). I didn't change the saturation or lighting in photoshop on these, they are straight from the game.

Thanks!

woodland%203%20Uniform.png

woodland%202%20Uniform.png

Look very great , very professional and nice detailled, I don't have the version 2 of CMSF but could buying...or apply patches...thank you for your job !!

Waiting for the "announced " others, like IDF...with all these news mods CMSF is reborn...

Edited by 3j2m7

15 hours ago, mjkerner said:

the CMSF2 3D soldier models are new and the old mods won't work on them. Believe me, I double and triple checked!

Thanks.  That will save a lot of time checking everything. 

Have not had time to look at more than a fraction, but so far nearly all of CMSF1 vehicles, terrain, UI, sounds and FX work in CMSF2.

Hey Cambronne, it just struck me last night that you were wondering how I could have the vests separate from the uniform in the game. I was absent-mindedly thinking you meant while I was working on the mod, which of course is easy to do, just...cut and paste! Sorry to mislead you.  The mod will have a variety of vest-uniforms for each type of vest, OD, digital and Woodland.

Cambronne, I was set to have it uploaded last night or this morning, but in my final in-game uniform "walk-around" I discovered that the plate carrier/vest  straps didn't line up properly at the top of the shoulder where the front and back of the texture meet up! Didn't look good at all.  I couldn't figure out why, since I used the original uniform as a template.  Still can't figure it out, so I had to re-cut and "paint" the straps again this morning.  Maybe tonight or tomorrow...fingers crossed.

19 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Sorry to post this question in a second thread now, but just for confirmation is the standard US Camo type used in the game UPC  (Universal Camouflage Pattern) ? 

Thanks

The unmodded US Army uniforms in the game are ACU (Army Combat Uniform), the USMC's are Desert MARPAT.

Hi Ivan, yes, my SOP for uniform mods (I have lots across all titles, but mostly not released cuz I'm lazy) is usually 4 or 5 for each iteration.  For these, the variations in uniforms were just a matter of shifting the "cloth" texture within the template, so that each uniform will be slightly different. The game seems to use the same number, say "smod_american_uniform_marpat-soldier 3", for every member of a team.  I have never actually confirmed that by serious testing, but I notice when I keep checking and rechecking these that seems to be the case.

What texture quality are you using? From the game main screen select Options and look at the entry for 3D Texture Quality. My understanding is that if you select Best it will load all the variants and lower settings will use less of them and at some point will use only one. I have not personally tested this so I don't know how the setting governs the number of variants used but it might be worth a check.