Cant help myself - Question about possible feature addition

Besides the obvious where you hear of countries deliberately sabotaging other nations ammo, or forced laborers doing the same, some older weapons system are notoriously dangerous to operate and any crew served weapon has accidents. What are the chances of a small % chance being added to say ironman difficulty where say .05% of the time your mortar crew suffered an in tube detonation.  Or perhaps your AT 3 team hits launch and the missle explodes right out of the tube.  Anyone?  Too much? not relevant enough?

Is today - feature request that everybody's going to hate day or something? 😏

If a player can't control something that results in them taking losses, they get urinated off (Why can't I clear mines? Why does my vehicle bog?). If a weapon system doesn't perform to its perceived capability (Sniper can't hit anything?), people get urinated off as per the sorts of comments I have put in parenthesis which have cropped up in a number of threads over the past month.

Fair enough. Perhaps toned down then? We.re talking about a game thats trting to be realistic as possible. I know youre just taking the piss Combatintman but really? Im getting mocked for this but everyone was all for (rightfully) the chance for lightly wounding people shooting rocket weapons in doors?  Id say it could be simulated just as easily and instead of severe losses like a squad just have them lose a guy or get some light wounds.

Or is it also dumb and too minor they even have old missiles randomly failed (based on real world evidence)

Maybe the guy who thought of that was an idiot.

Some stuff doesnt apply and you cant equate it. Clearing mines except emergency where you can do what you.d do in CM would take place right before or after the scope of CM. Im discussing something that affects real battles.  And as far as minor things do any of you remember SF1 until BN? MG bursts were like robots. 3 rnds EVERY TIME. I suggested several times they randomize bursts, 3, 8, 2, etc to make it more real. I was shocked when one patch it was in. Small detail but it makes the game feel that much more real.

P.S. ive been around forever - Im not leaving. But ALL of us regulars really need to remember that ESPECIALLY (this isnt about this thread) we should be cordial and helpful and not as snarky as we can be with new players. Generally we.re good about this. Sometimes not in another thread I even commented on it seems theres more dumb questions this release. But upon new thought we act like this to new members at our own peril. Just IMO.

Folks are unaccustomed to looking at decade old posts for good quality advice that remains applicable to today. They skip over all of the SOPs, techniques, how-to's thinking it couldn't possibly apply to engine 4.0. And, yes. Some are only realizing now what a 'simulation' means and will move on. This game has always been easier for military vets to grog because it plays the way they were taught. We civvies have the learning curve. Thankfully, you guys continue to be patiently welcoming.

I only play a combat vet on TV...

As I said it goes both ways. A lot would be fixed reading the menu nit years of posts, or instead of immediately quitting and posting perhaps fiddling with it first.

But as I clearly said - this has to be carefully balanced; its a fine line between telling someone theyre lacking common sense and driving people away because its created an uninviting ugly atmosphere. Especially I know my generation has lots of interest in the military but sooo many are ignorant. They arent dumb, they learn, they read books I recommend. But they havent wasted the last 20 yrs like me obsessively reading about 20th century war and wargaming.  They probably wont know Trophy is APS or the US doesnt actually field APS or what ERA and shaped charges are.  I could easily see people like this asking not so much dumb game questions but whats cobsidered by grogs painfully obvious info about like mg42s or whatever and the ensuing answers I could easily see turning someone off military history maybe forever, but definitely CM.

I love helping noobies. I always figure the more you help them the more apt they are to get bit by the CM bug. Plus, I enjoy when we get one of those rare guys that are super enthusiastic about having discovered CM. It breathes new excitement into the game for me, experiencing it through fresh eyes.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Wasn't "quality" of munitions and armor abstracted into CMx1 by year for each nation? I don't see this being added in at any point as a visual effect, but it may already be in the data set somewhere. I don't know the answer personally, but it seemed familiar from discussions in the way back times.

44 minutes ago, benpark said:

Wasn't "quality" of munitions and armor abstracted into CMx1 by year for each nation? I don't see this being added in at any point as a visual effect, but it may already be in the data set somewhere. I don't know the answer personally, but it seemed familiar from discussions in the way back times.

I can vaguely remember sleep inducing discussions on Brinell charts(?), brittleness and tungsten. LOL. That's about it. 

Can you believe that there are threads on this site that are 20 years old?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I remember some of JasonCs posts... If you collected all his posts from the golden days of CMBB you could write a book about war in the Eastern Front that would drastically change many peoples perception of said conflict.

I miss those several page posts. I also miss codename duchess for his real world naval pilot input. Pzsaurkrautwerfer obviously. And RIP to my buddy Nidan1 another vet.

I’m fairly certain that I’ve lost a mortar crew to a weapons malfunction.

They were doing a fire mission, and I clicked back to their area to fool with another unit. A whole mortar crew, except one guy, was laying there with red crosses. I had other units close by who were unharmed, and they weren’t under any kind of direct or indirect fire. 

I remember clicking on the team and thinking, “Uh, you want to tell me what happened here, Jablonski?” 

16 minutes ago, sburke said:

It does have friendly fire at certain calibers though.

I tested that in SF1. There's a thread on it somewhere. I think it was 50 cal and up that could kill friendlies.

Found it.

I don't know if it still applies.

Mord.

P.S. Can't believe I found that. I checked that thread as a lark. I thought my post was in a thread I'd created myself. LUCKY!

Oh, and I can say they don't model vehicle to vehicle friendly fire. I set up a test in BS one day with Russians on each side of the map and had them fire near each other. There were no direct hits and the only damage was caused by secondary explosions from the ground.

Mord.

8 minutes ago, Mord said:

Oh, and I can say they don't model vehicle to vehicle friendly fire. I set up a test in BS one day with Russians on each side of the map and had them fire near each other. There were no direct hits and the only damage was caused by secondary explosions from the ground.

Mord.

Yeah there are specific cases to accomodate the AI. It has some unfortunate knock off effects but short of developing an absolutely human interaction capable AI......

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

Yeah there are specific cases to accomodate the AI. It has some unfortunate knock off effects but short of developing an absolutely human interaction capable AI......

It mus boil down to fidelity issues because that wasn't the case in CM1. Vehicles could knock each other out and also push wrecks out of the way. Funny thing is, we are 1:1 now, with a good deal of WYSIWYG yet we have some bigger abstractions than the old games. I can live with the friendly fire stuff but tanks moving through tanks drives me crazy. It just looks bad.

Mord.

1 minute ago, Mord said:

It mus boil down to fidelity issues because that wasn't the case in CM1. Vehicles could knock each other out and also push wrecks out of the way. Funny thing is, we are 1:1 now, with a good deal of WYSIWYG yet we have some bigger abstractions than the old games. I can live with the friendly fire stuff but tanks moving through tanks drives me crazy. It just looks bad.

Mord.

You should see my wish list. It is no better than anyone else’s in regards to making on BFs list. I want gun barrels on tanks to not be able to poke though buildings. I want flavor items to act like regular objects so a traffic barrier is essentially the same as a wall.  I want,....I want...  the moon. 

30 minutes ago, sburke said:

You should see my wish list. It is no better than anyone else’s in regards to making on BFs list. I want gun barrels on tanks to not be able to poke though buildings. I want flavor items to act like regular objects so a traffic barrier is essentially the same as a wall.  I want,....I want...  the moon. 

Ah, Yes, also wanted Armor not to shoot directly through each other, especially shooting through Dead Vehicles (that aren't burning)...But, as you say, it would be difficult for the AI.

Edited by JoMc67