Installation questions

Erwin

1)  Can't find my original CMSF1 disk for code (and for some reason it's not on my code sheet).  It's also not on the list of my purchased products at BF site.  How to acquire?

2)  Is it correct that one can access activation codes by going to "My Account" and clicking on the desired product, then then on the "Sharefile" address that takes one to a d/l page which states the activation code at the top right?  (Just want to ensure am getting the correct module codes.)

3)  Am just curious why when one installs CMSF2 and activated it via the CMSF2 purchase code, a screen appears telling one that the base game plus modules are activated and one is presented with a PLAY button (which doesn't work).  Why contradict the README instructions (which are well written btw)?

4)  Re CMA - I can't find my disk and I don't think it is listed on My Products.  Would appreciate that CMA code so I can add to my code sheet.

Thank you...

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

1)  Can't find my original CMSF1 disk for code (and for some reason it's not on my code sheet).  It's also not on the list of my purchased products at BF site.  How to acquire?

You have to contact support. They manage those no disk or bought from another source issues.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

2)  Is it correct that one can access activation codes by going to "My Account" and clicking on the desired product, then then on the "Sharefile" address that takes one to a d/l page which states the activation code at the top right?  (Just want to ensure am getting the correct module codes.)

No those dot not seem to be the same as the key.

For clarity you got to the store page, log in and then click on "My Account" in the upper right corner and then on "My Orders" and then on the "order ID" number or "click to view" link. On that page you will see something like:

Shipment # 1 -
Shipment status: Pending     
CM Final Blitzkrieg Engine 3
CMFB-BGV3
https://battlefront.sharefile.com/<actual url snipped but not the key>
Activation Code(s):
<actual key snipped but not the url above>

The bold key is the key you want. If the product does not have a download there will still be an activation code

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

3)  Am just curious why when one installs CMSF2 and activated it via the CMSF2 purchase code, a screen appears telling one that the base game plus modules are activated and one is presented with a PLAY button (which doesn't work).  Why contradict the README instructions (which are well written btw)?

No idea. I think you realize that you still need to add the v1 codes though right...

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

4)  Re CMA - I can't find my disk and I don't think it is listed on My Products.  Would appreciate that CMA code so I can add to my code sheet.

Yeah I have no idea :) Support for this one too. But does BFC handle activation for CMA? Like I said I have no idea

English versions of CMA are likely to be Battlefront products, which would be an eLicense protected product (different from the current copy-protection system), which would still have a license key. It's possible Snowball's distributor (or whoever) sold to retailers that sold to US customers. I purchased my copy in 2011, but I believe it was released before that.

The license keys will ONLY appear in the Store if your product involved a download ('download only', 'pre-order', etc.). If you purchased a 'mail delivery only' product the license key will NOT appear in the order information. Instead it will be a sticker that is often attached to the game's disc case or possibly the manual.

When CMSF1 was first released (including pre-orders), the current (previous) store wasn't in place, so those orders will NOT appear in the order listing. It wasn't until sometime in 2007 that the Store was in place and orders after that time will show up. For those who purchased the game before the current (previous) store was up and running they would have to contact the Helpdesk and those codes can be looked up (IF they involved a download, otherwise it is the sticker attached to your game disc case or manual). In the case of the CDV (retail) versions, I assume they would have to contact the Helpdesk too in order to get some sort of license key replacement (since those copies were usually 'disc-based copy protected' and didn't have a license key). 

As for the 'Play' button being present with the current license activation dialog box... I assume that is a limitation of the licensing system. Battlefront probably pushes the envelope a bit in the number of activations that the copy-protection system designers thought developers would need for a playable game.

3 hours ago, IanL said:

For clarity you got to the store page, log in and then click on "My Account" in the upper right corner and then on "My Orders" and then on the "order ID" number or "click to view" link. On that page you will see something like:

Shipment # 1 -
Shipment status: Pending     
CM Final Blitzkrieg Engine 3
CMFB-BGV3
https://battlefront.sharefile.com/<actual url snipped but not the key>
Activation Code(s):
<actual key snipped but not the url above>

The bold key is the key you want. If the product does not have a download there will still be an activation code

I mentioned that I did all this b4.  However, that code (that immediately follows the URL) is much shorter than all the other codes that I do have listed on my code sheet.  So, I assumed that can't be the entire code(?)

"Instead it will be a sticker that is often attached to the game's disc case or possibly the manual."  

Yes, I did order both CMSF1 and CMA from BF.  But, in those days it must have been a disk in the mail.  I know they are in a box somewhere but have moved a couple times since 2007.

:(   Remind me - how to contact "Support"?

Edited by Erwin

Joy of joys... 

I located my CM CODES doc in a dusty recess of one of the computers and all activated to v2.01 easily.  :)

The only item which is not intuitive is that it doesn't seem necessary to activate the modules in any particular order(?)  I activated randomly - maybe I got lucky?   But, if order of activation is not important, the readme might want to mention that as it was puzzling me as to what order to activate. 

While the readme was well-written it may also want to mention that for upgrading from CMSF1 with modules one should ignore the onscreen window that seems to imply that all is activated after the CMSF2 basegame activation and that one can now PLAY.  Perhaps a note in the window saying something like "If you have modules you need to input activation codes for those modules."?

I note that the DEMO scenarios are not present in the installed game.  Does one simply copy them over from the demo and then delete the demo, or do the demo scenarios not work in the full game?  

To delete the DEMO does one simply delete the CMSF2 DEMO folder?  ie:  No uninstall needed?

Thank you guys..

Now all I have to do is find time to play....  :wacko:

For the Demo scenarios, I was able to copy them to the full version's 'Scenarios' folder and 'Alamo' opened up fine. I didn't try the others, but suspect that they too will also open fine.

Regarding activations, I don't think that there is any necessary/preferred order of CMSF1 module activations. As long as ALL of the modules (that you have) are activated before playing, you should be fine. Anything that you miss will likely mean that that particular module won't show up in the game until both activations for it have been performed.

There is an uninstaller for the CMSF2 Demo, which you can use. I assume that simply deleting the CMSF2 folder would generally accomplish the same thing (all of the files are present within that folder). It will leave an uninstaller listed in your 'Programs and Features' control panel (which will usually be given an option to delete it when you attempt to run it and no file is found) if you perform a manual deletion of the Demo.

I don't think there is an uninstall, one simply removes the item. 

Tried copying over the Demo scenarios and savedgames.  But, they do not show up in my (2.01) install.  Puzzled why the demo scens are not in the main game.  They seem quite good.

Thank you again...

Edited by Erwin

Hmmm... I looked at my Windows 7 machine and in Control Panels > Programs and Features there is a listing for uninstalling the CMSF2 Demo. Again, it is fairly simplistic in that there is only one main directory for the Demo (whereas the full version has the game program files in one directory and the data files within the user's directory). I'm not aware of any other files or registry entries (beyond the uninstaller's listing), so a simple delete of the Demo folder probably should suffice.

The filename for the Demo scenarios does NOT fully match the displayed name in the scenario list. I'm not looking at the specific machine where I have this installed at the moment, but I believe it was categorized as a 'NATO' scenario.

I see "NATO Alamo" now.  Not sure about the others.  The Passage to Wilcox is not available in-game.  And my saved demo games in the CMSF2 savedgame folder definitely do not appear in-game.  

When I right-clinked on the DEMO under programs there was no uninstall option, only delete.  So I deleted that and then deleted the DEMO folder.  Seems done.

No problems - just curious why (most of) the demo scenarios and saved game files are not accessible.

I stand corrected... the Demo scenarios DO NOT show up in the full version. The full version has the same scenarios EXCEPT the 'Training' scenario (with different file names so that they appear in the list corresponding to their required module). 'The Passage at Wilcox' is called 'Tactical Vignette 99-2 The Passage at Wilcox' in the full version.

The Demo scenarios have a slightly different structure that doesn't allow them to be read by the full version. This is actually done so that the Demo can't utilize full-version scenarios, though there would be additional problems with full version scenarios since a lot of resources aren't available in the Demo (reduced .brz data files for the Demo).

As for the uninstaller for the Demo, there is actually an executable uninstaller named 'unins000.exe' that is about 803KB in size within the Demo directory (that typically gets called up from the Windows program uninstaller list). You could potentially run that manually to uninstall.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

2 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

'unins000.exe' that is about 803KB in size within the Demo directory

It's no big deal but FWIW I looked for it in my Programs list under CMSF Demo and there was no uninstall option.  Deleting the program listing and the demo folder itself seems to be all that's required (I hope).

What are the other demo scenarios' names in the full game?  Will need to delete the demo scenarios that I copied over.  Presumably that is everything that does not say "SF2 at the end of its name(?) like Breaking the Bank, Baker 1_1, Day at the Beach, Alamo, Training Scenario...  Anything else?

Demo savedgames will never work and one has to (re)start from the beginning, yes?

The Demo has just 5 scenarios:  'Training', 'Passage at Wilcox', 'Breaking the Bank', 'Day at the Beach' and 'Alamo'. The ones that come with the full version will be pre-fixed with 'USMC', 'UK' and 'NATO', with the exception of 'Passage at Wilcox' starting off with 'Tactical Vignette...'. All of the Demo scenarios will lack SF2 at the end, but there may be some full version scenarios that don't have SF2 at the end ('Baker 1_1' is NOT a Demo scenario in this case).