Operation Resurgence - The Liberation of Rajo

Ridaz

Hi everyone, after the release of Shock Force 2 even though i have not purchase it myself. I took the opportunity to come up with a story line for a would be campaign together with its first scenario. For now this is what I've prepared so far but I would like to expand it even further with richer story arc over this campaign and a backstory starting from the end of the Syria civil war leading toward the second US intervention into Syria.

Do let me know what you think of this campaign/scenario. 

Operation Resurgence

Ravaged by civil war the ruins left by the international proxy war in Syria barely allowed a weakened government in place consisting mostly of Assad loyalists. After overwhelming outcry from the international community over its treatments of civilians during and post civil war, the US and its NATO allies have now decided to launch a full blown campaign on the Assad regime in Syria beginning with the liberation of Rajo towards the city of Aleppo. What was once an international icon of a modern Islamic country has now turned into a hellish battleground since 2012 and would not end soon with he beginning of the second US intervention into Syria.

The 42nd Marines Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion (LAV) lead by Lieutenant Colonel Rufus White are tasked with opening a front in Syria beginning with the highways of Rajo bordering Turkey, this would allow access to its neighboring provinces. Battle hardened from the war in Iraq, they were accustomed to the harsh climate and the brutal condition of a war torn country. 

image?w=624&h=432&rev=83&ac=1&parent=13WYugdQAwsW1Tc9IE1EifphcM28ED3dBLJXgXDxF-U0

The town of Rajo lies at the border of Turkey and is also an intersection between between other major cities.

Battle Plan

image?w=624&h=451&rev=89&ac=1&parent=13WYugdQAwsW1Tc9IE1EifphcM28ED3dBLJXgXDxF-U0

Rajo’s main two roads leading to the city of Aleppo.

Intel suggests a military presence in the surrounding villages in Rajo guarding the highways. Expect strong resistance coming from the southern region.  Securing the nearby houses would help in getting rid of any enemy while also providing cover fire over the highways for secure passage for the main army.
HQ has granted access to AV-8B Harrier from the nearby turkey airbase and would lend support to the bulk of this mission with much needed aerial firepower over the roads of Rajo. Lack of intel cannot confirm of any enemy anti air capabilities in the vicinity. Caution is advised.  

The main objective is to secure the highways to establish a forward base in Rajo and to open a front to the heart of Syria.

“The great revolution in the history of man, past, present and future, is the revolution

of those determined to be free.”

- John F. Kennedy (35th President of the United States)

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Thanks for your idea but I can't see the images so it is difficult to comment at this stage. My question is where are you going with this? Are you going to make this campaign once you get the title or is this post aimed at inspiring campaign designers to generate it? 

I'll try to fix the images, in the mean time I can link the google doc file I was working on. My idea is to build a story behind these missions, as much as i would like to create some of these missions I am afraid of the lack of time from my part.

I enjoy writing story so I am willing to work with anybody if there are for this. If not I'll try to create them myself in my free time but finishing the story arc is my priority at this point. The story involves rebels too and covers the better part of the post Syria civil war leading to end of the occupation.

image.png.08597c9c5aad8c3376c2373ca51e083e.png

The town of Rajo lies at the border of Turkey and is also an intersection between between other major cities.

image.png.53afd5ff625a21d5e665c7bf1b6b7249.png

Rajo’s main two roads leading to the city of Aleppo.

Do let me know if you are able to see these new images. 

Google doc link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/13WYugdQAwsW1Tc9IE1EifphcM28ED3dBLJXgXDxF-U0/edit?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, Captain Reyes said:

The background with its inorporation of the Syrian Civil War into a fictional intervention sounds very exciting. I would love to see such a campaign.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll work hard on this. 

Instead of Turkey AB call it Incirlik. Thats the main NATO AFB Im familiar with hearing about in Turkey.

Also theres probably a higher chance that Marine Harriers would come from say the USS Tarawa and USAF support would be more likely to come from Turkey. Very small issue though - but for immersion Id remove the "turkey ab" from the map and in briefing just mention a marine squadron based at Incirlik is diverting a harrier from a strike mission to help or the plane(s) are allocated to help your attack

On 12/18/2018 at 3:26 AM, Sublime said:

Instead of Turkey AB call it Incirlik. Thats the main NATO AFB Im familiar with hearing about in Turkey.

Also theres probably a higher chance that Marine Harriers would come from say the USS Tarawa and USAF support would be more likely to come from Turkey. Very small issue though - but for immersion Id remove the "turkey ab" from the map and in briefing just mention a marine squadron based at Incirlik is diverting a harrier from a strike mission to help or the plane(s) are allocated to help your attack

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it. I am somewhat new to all this, do u know where I can find more authentic source to build up my campaign? 

Probably. Depends what info you want. My father when he flew F4s (mind you this is late 70s) was stationed in Turkey.  There are many much more familiar with the Syrian campaign... theres a forum member whose flown and still does AFAIK combat missions over Syria in a F18.

What would you like to know?  The air support from Turkey isnt modelled in game - youd see probably mostly F16s or F4s and more legacy US aircraft.

PM me or just reply on any info you need and Ill try to supply it.  Mind Im not an ex service member - my father and his father were though and I was born on a base overseas.  So I do have some familiarity with the military beyond my historical interest and otherwise.

Incirliks a big deal because we also store nuclear weapons there...

If I was you Id download PTs Road to Dinas campaign - Hes IMO one of the top 3 campaign designers for CM ever and Id take his OOBs etc for the Syrians very seriously.  For one thatd give you a good template - Road to Dinas is red on red civil war but you can tell he did his research on Syrian military units and if you use his templates (mind you read the backround to make sure you understand the context) you'll have Syrian forces that are more realistically compiled than in many other scenarios.

He also tended to not use the flashiest support weapons but rather the ones more often seen.  Youd get hinds sometimes but often youd get lesser helos for support (I cant recall if the Hips in the game but ISTR you got stuff like that or low grade 120mm mortars or 122 howitzers mostly if anything. If you got a hind or a Su25 you were doing BIG things.

Another factor you could use - I dont see how you could use it unless you had scenarios where Peshmerga allied with NATO and you set the battle as technically red on red - but somehow say give the combatants and irregular fighters good support ( to simulate nato helping, since theyre read you just have to pretend its Poland or some old Eastern Bloc country doing air support for the Peshmerga - Maybe the US prefers to cover its own troops first, then Brits etc and each nation wants to support its own troops. Perhaps Poland due to recent Russian aggression reluctantly sent only a few aviation assets.

Then you could have regular NATO battles but also have some peshmerga who the turks and syrians dont like (which you could also do an interesting campaign branch.  There have been campaigns that let you choose your path - if you surrender right away it goes one way if you march unopposed to an objective you go another way. Its a way of making semi dynamic campaigns. So for an occasional change of pace you could put the player in control of Peshmerga - and then give them a choice, do they do what the Turks are urging them to do (is it a suicide mission? It could be, theres no love lost)  or maybe you decide you,d rather assault something else and risk displeasing the Turks, in which case you could have a couple of interesting scenarios where Turks and Peshmerga fight before NATO tells the Turks to back off.

Just tossing ideas around.

19 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Probably. Depends what info you want. My father when he flew F4s (mind you this is late 70s) was stationed in Turkey.  There are many much more familiar with the Syrian campaign... theres a forum member whose flown and still does AFAIK combat missions over Syria in a F18.

What would you like to know?  The air support from Turkey isnt modelled in game - youd see probably mostly F16s or F4s and more legacy US aircraft.

PM me or just reply on any info you need and Ill try to supply it.  Mind Im not an ex service member - my father and his father were though and I was born on a base overseas.  So I do have some familiarity with the military beyond my historical interest and otherwise.

Incirliks a big deal because we also store nuclear weapons there...

If I was you Id download PTs Road to Dinas campaign - Hes IMO one of the top 3 campaign designers for CM ever and Id take his OOBs etc for the Syrians very seriously.  For one thatd give you a good template - Road to Dinas is red on red civil war but you can tell he did his research on Syrian military units and if you use his templates (mind you read the backround to make sure you understand the context) you'll have Syrian forces that are more realistically compiled than in many other scenarios.

He also tended to not use the flashiest support weapons but rather the ones more often seen.  Youd get hinds sometimes but often youd get lesser helos for support (I cant recall if the Hips in the game but ISTR you got stuff like that or low grade 120mm mortars or 122 howitzers mostly if anything. If you got a hind or a Su25 you were doing BIG things.

Another factor you could use - I dont see how you could use it unless you had scenarios where Peshmerga allied with NATO and you set the battle as technically red on red - but somehow say give the combatants and irregular fighters good support ( to simulate nato helping, since theyre read you just have to pretend its Poland or some old Eastern Bloc country doing air support for the Peshmerga - Maybe the US prefers to cover its own troops first, then Brits etc and each nation wants to support its own troops. Perhaps Poland due to recent Russian aggression reluctantly sent only a few aviation assets.

Then you could have regular NATO battles but also have some peshmerga who the turks and syrians dont like (which you could also do an interesting campaign branch.  There have been campaigns that let you choose your path - if you surrender right away it goes one way if you march unopposed to an objective you go another way. Its a way of making semi dynamic campaigns. So for an occasional change of pace you could put the player in control of Peshmerga - and then give them a choice, do they do what the Turks are urging them to do (is it a suicide mission? It could be, theres no love lost)  or maybe you decide you,d rather assault something else and risk displeasing the Turks, in which case you could have a couple of interesting scenarios where Turks and Peshmerga fight before NATO tells the Turks to back off.

Just tossing ideas around.

Wow thanks for the long post. A lot of interesting info here.
I was looking more of a real life AAR of battles/ mission happened during the current war around Turkey SYRIA border, could be a briefing too. I'll also take a look at the other campaign as well.

8 hours ago, Ridaz said:

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it. I am somewhat new to all this, do u know where I can find more authentic source to build up my campaign? 

You need to have an idea of where you're going with it all for starters. Something like:

1. F*ck it, this is just a bit of blowing stuff up fun campaign.
  2. Contemporary/historical/semi-historical.
  3. Plausible scenario.

From what you've posted, your ideas sit in either 2 or 3. This being the case, you have to target the bits of the narrative that add credibility. Units of the US Sixth Fleet, which USMC units rotate through the Mediterranean, which bases do US fixed wing have access to? For the purposes of the overall campaign narrative you don't really need to stretch much further than Wikipedia to be honest.

Before you get wrapped up in the detail of units and things like that though, for your campaign vision you need to have some fairly worked up answers to the following:

• Who?
  • What?
  • When?
  • Where?
  • Why?
  • How?

Then think about whether all of this is achievable in the editor, or consider how to create it in the editor.

I have  to say though, if you're not prepared to make this (or at least the bulk of it) yourself as you indicated in your response to my previous post then I'll tell you now that it is pretty unlikely that anyone is going to go 'wow, great campaign idea I'll happily spend the next 6 months in the editor making it for you'. Mainly because the people who actually do this sort of mission and campaign making thing do not lack inspiration.

To give you a feel for how hard it is, I intended to do two CMSF-1 campaigns. I'd done the research, made all of the maps, designed and play tested all of the missions as standalones. Despite all of this, I could not get the sum of the whole to work as a campaign. These were projects that I had a vested interest in because they were my ideas, my vision, my passion. I don't recall how many days, weeks, months that I spent on them but I plugged away because I really wanted to make these campaigns.

The problem with both was that neither would work properly as a CMSF campaign that players would want to play. Am I disappointed - you bet I am for the two factors mentioned above, failing to bring my cherished projects to the wider community and the fact that I'll never get those hours spent in the editor back.

You are of course welcome to bat campaign ideas and narratives around but you will almost certainly be wasting your time unless you are prepared to step into the editor.

Amen to that fella!  ;)

My ambitions of knocking up campaigns hither & thither have been seriously brought down to earth by the simple reality of how much editor time it takes to achieve anything worthwhile at all.....If I can ever finish ONE I'll be ecstatic TBH!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 hours ago, Combatintman said:

You need to have an idea of where you're going with it all for starters. Something like:

1. F*ck it, this is just a bit of blowing stuff up fun campaign.
  2. Contemporary/historical/semi-historical.
  3. Plausible scenario.

From what you've posted, your ideas sit in either 2 or 3. This being the case, you have to target the bits of the narrative that add credibility. Units of the US Sixth Fleet, which USMC units rotate through the Mediterranean, which bases do US fixed wing have access to? For the purposes of the overall campaign narrative you don't really need to stretch much further than Wikipedia to be honest.

Before you get wrapped up in the detail of units and things like that though, for your campaign vision you need to have some fairly worked up answers to the following:

• Who?
  • What?
  • When?
  • Where?
  • Why?
  • How?

Then think about whether all of this is achievable in the editor, or consider how to create it in the editor.

I have  to say though, if you're not prepared to make this (or at least the bulk of it) yourself as you indicated in your response to my previous post then I'll tell you now that it is pretty unlikely that anyone is going to go 'wow, great campaign idea I'll happily spend the next 6 months in the editor making it for you'. Mainly because the people who actually do this sort of mission and campaign making thing do not lack inspiration.

To give you a feel for how hard it is, I intended to do two CMSF-1 campaigns. I'd done the research, made all of the maps, designed and play tested all of the missions as standalones. Despite all of this, I could not get the sum of the whole to work as a campaign. These were projects that I had a vested interest in because they were my ideas, my vision, my passion. I don't recall how many days, weeks, months that I spent on them but I plugged away because I really wanted to make these campaigns.

The problem with both was that neither would work properly as a CMSF campaign that players would want to play. Am I disappointed - you bet I am for the two factors mentioned above, failing to bring my cherished projects to the wider community and the fact that I'll never get those hours spent in the editor back.

You are of course welcome to bat campaign ideas and narratives around but you will almost certainly be wasting your time unless you are prepared to step into the editor.

Yes, I am well aware of the gravity of this task and I most certainly do not expect amyone to spent their precious time on making a camapign for me.

This is just an idea that I thought up and wanted to put it down and paper and get some feedback. My idea was more towards the narative/plot more than the ability to be able to play it in CMSF 2. It'll be awesome if I can turn this into a short story novel.

My roadmap right now is to get the whole story down first, then taking my time to create each of this scenario if I have the time but of course I am always open if anyone wants to chip in as well.

3 hours ago, Ridaz said:

Yes, I am well aware of the gravity of this task and I most certainly do not expect amyone to spent their precious time on making a camapign for me.

This is just an idea that I thought up and wanted to put it down and paper and get some feedback. My idea was more towards the narative/plot more than the ability to be able to play it in CMSF 2. It'll be awesome if I can turn this into a short story novel.

My roadmap right now is to get the whole story down first, then taking my time to create each of this scenario if I have the time but of course I am always open if anyone wants to chip in as well.

Ok that's fine. So my thoughts on what you've posted so far are:

What is your campaign core unit going to look like, or who is the player going to be in this campaign? Is it going to be your fictional 24 Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion or one of its sub-units? This will determine the size of your individual battles.

Why have you chosen to focus your mission area to just the southern end of Rajo?

How easy is Battle 1 supposed to be?

Who is the enemy, what is their capability and intent?

23 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Ok that's fine. So my thoughts on what you've posted so far are:

What is your campaign core unit going to look like, or who is the player going to be in this campaign? Is it going to be your fictional 24 Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion or one of its sub-units? This will determine the size of your individual battles.

Why have you chosen to focus your mission area to just the southern end of Rajo?

How easy is Battle 1 supposed to be?

Who is the enemy, what is their capability and intent?

The core unit for the whole campaign would be the light armored Recon Battalion. However the first few mission will be at company level since they had to open and clear the way for the main battalion to come through.

I chose the the roads of Rajo cause geographically it's the gateway to many other provinces and is also has the shortest route to Aleppo which is where my campaign will end.

The first battle is fairly easy since you're commanding company size and you only need to clear out the towns and secure the roads.

You're fighting against the Assad's Syrian army. However later in the story you'll also be fighting against rebels who will be attacking you from places you have conquered. 

Also since in real life t US had just pulled out from Syria, I feel that this would align with my story with their second intervention few years down the road. 

50 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

The core unit for the whole campaign would be the light armored Recon Battalion. However the first few mission will be at company level since they had to open and clear the way for the main battalion to come through.

I chose the the roads of Rajo cause geographically it's the gateway to many other provinces and is also has the shortest route to Aleppo which is where my campaign will end.

The first battle is fairly easy since you're commanding company size and you only need to clear out the towns and secure the roads. 

You're fighting against the Assad's Syrian army. However later in the story you'll also be fighting against rebels who will be attacking you from places you have conquered. 

Also since in real life t US had just pulled out from Syria, I feel that this would align with my story with their second intervention few years down the road. 

I understand the significance of Rajo, but why that particular part of the map? Your schematic has Blue starting off on two roads in a built up area with enemy on either side and then other enemy elements closing in. I don't think it is how I would like to start a campaign but of course that is only my opinion and play style preference. Looking at the ground, the area to the North would be better ground of choice for the defender so why didn't they set up there?

Clear and secure are not really core reconnaissance missions, so why is a reconnaissance element being tasked with them? Taking this further into the campaign context, a light armored reconnaissance battalion is not a particularly robust organisation so you need to have an idea of how long it will take it to culminate. This drives your individual mission force ratios or the difficulty of individual missions. It will also drive how you think about campaign replacements and resupply. Things like, will they be allowed, if so, when in the campaign?

What size and composition of enemy are you looking at for Mission 1? What formation are they from, why are they there?

Will all of these elements fit on the map area in your map schematic?

Anyway - some starters for ten.

Ridaz stated that he is focused on completing the story right now and at the moment does not own CMSF2 so perhaps keep it easy on that artillery barrage of questions.

Take your time with this idea when you get your hands on CMSF2. If it takes you a month, a year, a century, thats fine, no rush. The CM community is happy for everyone considering to get into campaign making business. And while getting feedback on your idea is always smart remember don´t let yourself put under pressure by that feedback as it may not represent what everybody thinks and sometimes can derail into a "do it like I would do it". 

Keeping the speciality of units in mind is definitely important but you don´t need to follow them by the book. Battlefront itself doesn´t, in order to provide us with challenges and new situations. Most official campaigns and missions don´t follow this rule by the book and task specific elements of your force with objectives and pitch you against opposition a real commander never would consider to do. The CM games come with such a big variety of forces and so much room for hypothetical scenarios it would be a shame to limit your own ideas stoically to force those super green TOE and MOS checkmarks.

But from what I am reading here you definitely got something promising going on there.

32 minutes ago, Mattis said:

Ridaz stated that he is focused on completing the story right now and at the moment does not own CMSF2 so perhaps keep it easy on that artillery barrage of questions.

Take your time with this idea when you get your hands on CMSF2. If it takes you a month, a year, a century, thats fine, no rush. The CM community is happy for everyone considering to get into campaign making business. And while getting feedback on your idea is always smart remember don´t let yourself put under pressure by that feedback as it may not represent what everybody thinks and sometimes can derail into a "do it like I would do it". 

Keeping the speciality of units in mind is definitely important but you don´t need to follow them by the book. Battlefront itself doesn´t, in order to provide us with challenges and new situations. Most official campaigns and missions don´t follow this rule by the book and task specific elements of your force with objectives and pitch you against opposition a real commander never would consider to do. The CM games come with such a big variety of forces and so much room for hypothetical scenarios it would be a shame to limit your own ideas stoically to force those super green TOE and MOS checkmarks.

But from what I am reading here you definitely got something promising going on there.

Thanks for the kind words of support. I won't take any offence but yes I am focusing more on the story for now. Guess playing CM games and looking at campaign and reading historical similarity books pique my interests to create my own narrative using CM platform with my fascination with the Syria war.

I can empathize with Combatintman, I think he is just detail oriented. Since most of groghead love realism in our games, my story would definitely benefit from it. 

FYI: I have most of the story plots in my head.Just a tip but It'll end with the destruction of the US army in Syria.I know it sounds ridiculous but I have worked out the correct geopolitical situation that could make this plausible. 

51 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

Just a tip but It'll end with the destruction of the US army in Syria.I know it sounds ridiculous but I have worked out the correct geopolitical situation that could make this plausible. 

Now that's a wingdinger of a spoiler. I think you might have a play balance issue right out of the gate. It will be impossible to win from the US side and most players will play the US side. Those who play the Red side will not be challenged. 

1 hour ago, Ridaz said:

Just a tip but It'll end with the destruction of the US army in Syria.

IMO the final outcome (some level of victory, draw or defeat) should be decided by the player's decisions during the campaign.  The better the tactics used in the scenarios that make up the campaign the better the end result for the player.  You can even have a branching campaign for this.  Win scenario #1 then advance to scenario #2.  If you loose scenario #1 you go to #1A or something like that.   

What side will the AI control in your campaign?  Syrian or US?   

Not sure if i get this wrong but I interpreted the information entirely different. That you will able play a US campaign which reflects the operations of specific units like the 42nd LAR which are part of a greater US force. You may succeed in this operations but on the "grand scale" the story will eventually end with US forces´ defeat and withdraw.

To put a commander into a position that even with tactical finesse and overwhelming success you may not able to prevent a war´s negative outcome on the grand scale - story wise - is in my opinion a fantastic idea and reflects the reality many great historical commanders had to face.

Edited by Captain Reyes

9 hours ago, Mattis said:

Stand down dude.....You are new here and don't realise whose face you are getting in, but you are probably running out of slack real fast IMHO.  :mellow:

@Combatintman is providing @Ridaz the best advice possible.....His style may be abrupt, but his knowledge is second to none.  When you come right down to it, if a designer can't answer each and every one of those questions, in some detail, they don't have a campaign.  End of story.  Ask me how I know.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Stand down dude.....You are new here and don't realise whose face you are getting in, but you are probably running out of slack real fast IMHO.  :mellow:

@Combatintman is providing @Ridaz the best advice possible.....His style may be abrupt, but his knowledge is second to none.  When you come right down to it, if a designer can't answer each and every one of those questions, in some detail, they don't have a campaign.  End of story.  Ask me how I know.  ;)

To be fair, he has some points, I don't think we need to pull ranks here. I choose not to believe there is an elitist culture in this forum. I think everyone can express their opinion regardless  of who they are talking to. 😅

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

I don't think we need to pull ranks here.

Not rank, experience.....Seriously, you are getting advice from the best.  BfC certainly seem to think so.  ;)

Writing scenarios can be hard work and is always immensely time consuming, therefore having a coherent plan before you start is pretty damned important.

36 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not rank, experience.....Seriously, you are getting advice from the best.  BfC certainly seem to think so.  ;)

Writing scenarios can be hard work and is always immensely time consuming, therefore having a coherent plan before you start is pretty damned important.

The advice Comabtintman gave is useful as stated before and I'll be using his advice as pointers when I am designing the campaign.  I am just saying its not necessary to pull up a " Do you know who you are talking to? " attitude that's all. He wasn't invalidating any of his advice just stating that he may be suggesting things which are more into mission designing and not backstory/plot which was what I was looking for. 😄