Nice...maybe sometime in the future we'll get some Kung Pao Beef (China) and Kim Chee (Korea) on the menu from someone. I saw on the Black Sea forum a thread about a Korea mod being worked on, but no recent updates.

I recall a West Africa mod that was made for the original Shock Force and another one based on a popular post apocalypse RPG game. I never down loaded either. I still have some mods from the original Shock Force as well as 3:10 to Yuma and the Forging Steel Campaign. 

I sent the Test Firing ranges from Shock Force to Capt Reyes to try out and the 3:10 to Yuma, Forging Steel Campaign and firing range seem to work fine in SF2. I've been looking at backups to see if I have any more stuff. May be on an old laptop. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some old bitcoins on it too!

2 hours ago, Mord said:

My initial idea was like my old mod, Reserves in street clothes looking like mish-mashed rebels. I just wanted a set of Syrians that could be pitted against the rest without a bunch of uniform sharing. Reserves are perfect. They have access to some decent tanks and what not but not access to the really new stuff, like how you'd expect a rag tag force to be.

Excellent.  This worked out very well in CMSF1 and will also be good for CMSF2.  

27 minutes ago, db_zero said:

I recall a West Africa mod that was made for the original Shock Force

Yep.  Very cool mod by @MikeyD.  I hope someday we get an updated one for CMSF2. 

fVnuvcjh.jpg

fm01us9h.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Is that where you get that crinkling look on the fabric? I've seen some stuff where the clothes look like they were painted over super crumpled up tiny foil.

Mord.

When I use it in photo editing I use it sparingly to increase contrast in contours which is perceive as an increase in sharpness (the name unsharp mask dates from the dark room age of phot editing and the name can be confusing). It can also be used in certain areas of a photo/uniform texture. My thinking is to create a more 3d like impression in what is a 2d texture on a 3d model. For example some extra sharpness in folds to make them stand out more. I migh go ahead and do some tests one day. The only uniform mod I have made was just the addition of a uniform badge.

1 hour ago, akd said:

Good point, but it is somewhat unavoidable to imagine a fictional civil war without also considering the real one and its affects on perceptions of that fiction.  Given what has happened, it is difficult to imagine a scenario where Russia is sending its latest (-ish) vehicles and small arms to arm the government opposition.  And if you were to include intervening outside powers, Russia would certainly make the top of the logical list (although I suppose we could imagine a scenario where UAE or Kuwaiti BMP-3s are in play against the government).  Given that in reality there is really very little to distinguish between SAA army / republican guard / SF / airborne from an appearance and armament standpoint (beyond the mechanization of some armor units), that gives a lot of room to play with in the SF / airborne category to expand the dimensions of the conflict (real or fictional).

You must not have ever done any miniature "Imagi-nation" gaming, with made up countries based on real ones. 😉

I started modding the SF2 uniforms for make-believe African and Latin American misadventures as soon as it was released, but only for my own consumption. My standards are lower for my own use than it is for stuff intended for the public, though, so I'll need to spend more time on everything. And I meant it...I'm not in the Vein/benpark/MikeyD/Aris league by a long shot.  

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'm pretty sure this would be fairly easy to do. You could swap out the Syrian SF textures/models with the Russian textures/models from Black Sea.

Textures, yes, depending on how different the models are. Model swaps absolutely can't be done. I spent a good four hours or so the other day dicking around in the hex editor eyeing up the Syrian mds files. Charles locked them down hard. @Blimey reported this waaaay back when BS came out but I wanted to see what was what for myself. The Brain some how tied ALL the Syrian soldiers into a single set of mdses. ALL their codes point to lines entitled "placeholder uniform" "place holder skin" place holder boots".  The old mdses had a set for each soldier type and their code would point to something like "syrian reserve soldier" "syrian reserve uniform" etc. In effect there is no way to trick the mdses because every single file, no matter what it is, says "placeholder uniform" etc. The only reason Mikey pulled off that weapon swap was because the weapons files hadn't been screwed with.

My guess has always been that they changed it because there was too much cross game pollination going on.

I'd be happy if Steve and Charles would take pity and allow us to at least pull off some tricks that stayed within titles. I really liked my Mixed Combatants mod in SF 1.

53 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To which end, could you (when you have a moment spare) post a formal list of what's on each 'side' and any tags used/usable please?

It really shouldn't be anything too tricky. So, you'll be able to add any tags etc. that you please. Sides and what not will be up to you. The whole mod should be very (ahem) modular.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

5 minutes ago, rocketman said:

When I use it in photo editing I use it sparingly to increase contrast in contours which is perceive as an increase in sharpness (the name unsharp mask dates from the dark room age of phot editing and the name can be confusing). It can also be used in certain areas of a photo/uniform texture. My thinking is to create a more 3d like impression in what is a 2d texture on a 3d model. For example some extra sharpness in folds to make them stand out more. I migh go ahead and do some tests one day. The only uniform mod I have made was just the addition of a uniform badge.

Yup, used sparingly it can help uniforms pop. Mord, too much "Sharpness" seems to make highlighted areas too "light" and just looks wrong. Not sure what makes the crinkling look.

6 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Not sure what makes the crinkling look.

Come to think of it, it could be a side effect of the normal map highlighting too much texture?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Is there any easy way anyone could try to port @Paper Tigers excellent Road to Dinas?  Its a Syrian civil war campaign that pioneered the CMx2 campaign branching style where it really felt like your actions really did influence the greater picture somewhat.

Also it was exceptionally well made. It lacks a lot of stuff that came to define the real civil war (IIRC its much more like syrian military vs other syrian military) but if it was ported Im sure it could be tweaked with some interesting additions.

I think it.d be interesting if someone modded Iranian RGC troops in for say Syrian special forces. Instead of ever having spec ops you could set them at average skill and morale and have Iranian volunteers.

Also waiting for an ISIL campaign. This would be interesting as blue on red but i think has a lot of promise of red on red. You get some syrian troops with heavy equipment low exp and morale and a bunch of ieds (does sf2 have vbieds?) And fanatical combatants.

14 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Is there any easy way anyone could try to port @Paper Tigers excellent Road to Dinas?  Its a Syrian civil war campaign that pioneered the CMx2 campaign branching style where it really felt like your actions really did influence the greater picture somewhat.

I don't recall that relying on mods, so it should work as is.  Of course, adding new features like triggers would require a rework of the campaign which I'm not sure can be done easily without PT himself.

Not until Uncam is working for CM:SF2 at any rate.....Although thinking laterally one could use Uncam on the CM:SF1 campaign, transfer the decompiled scenarios, core units file and campaign script to CM:SF2, then make any changes you fancy and recompile it as a CM:SF2 campaign.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

God and thats such a monster size campaign Im not volunteering to learn how to do ai plans and implement them on the 15+ battles in that campaign. 

Gotta start somewhere bro.  ;)

I can tell you from my own experience that once you do, you will get all the help in the world from the editor-meddling crew.....Just ask.  B)

Learning AI plans can be a lot of fun, it can also be mind-warpingly frustrating (Why won't they use the bloody door?  :angry:), it's a whole new game within the game.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

32 minutes ago, borg said:

Guys - I noticed some grunts brandishing side weapons (pistols) - are those eye candy ? Or used ? I’m aware tank crew use pistols... thanks 💣

Nope not eye candy. You’ll seem em using them occasionally and you’ll likely be screaming at them to use a damn rifle. Check your ammo supply. They also seem to use them instead of stopping to reload when under fire. 

44 minutes ago, sburke said:

Nope not eye candy. You’ll seem em using them occasionally and you’ll likely be screaming at them to use a damn rifle. Check your ammo supply. They also seem to use them instead of stopping to reload when under fire. 

wow.... that's some realism embedded there then. Thanks man.

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Gotta start somewhere bro.  ;)

I can tell you from my own experience that once you do, you will get all the help in the world from the editor-meddling crew.....Just ask.  B)

Learning AI plans can be a lot of fun, it can also be mind-warpingly frustrating (Why won't they use the bloody door?  :angry:), it's a whole new game within the game.  :D

Of course youre right. However since I never evem tinkered with it and Dinas is so large..plus the way I understand AI plans is basically like givi g your side blind orders for the whole battle. It has to be tinkered just right or itll look stupid. And papertiger is a genius I cant do that to his campaign. Oh and i dont have SF2 full game and Im still on 3.0 for all the others. Whoops :D

P.s. thanks tho sgt. And how are u today? Merry xmas 

Edited by Sublime

2 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Still a lot of work left on these and others, Mord, but it's a star and I'm having fun.  Won't get much done now until after Christmas.

4cd5c92e-658f-464f-a534-5bdc7654aa94.png

Africa!

4342c50f-ae5d-41a3-b339-c599b8710b29.png

e901f505-e6fa-46e4-842d-670b5d0c3382.png

+1  Very cool!!  I really like these.  The African one literally opens up a new area of operations for scenario designers.  

4 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Still a lot of work left on these and others, Mord, but it's a start and I'm having fun.  Won't get much done now until after Christmas.

4cd5c92e-658f-464f-a534-5bdc7654aa94.png

8edc005b-4518-4297-8378-b1ac86cf3048.png

Excellent! They look great, as usual.

Mord.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Sublime said:

Also it was exceptionally well made. It lacks a lot of stuff that came to define the real civil war (IIRC its much more like syrian military vs other syrian military) but if it was ported Im sure it could be tweaked with some interesting additions.

I think it.d be interesting if someone modded Iranian RGC troops in for say Syrian special forces. Instead of ever having spec ops you could set them at average skill and morale and have Iranian volunteers.

Also waiting for an ISIL campaign. This would be interesting as blue on red but i think has a lot of promise of red on red. You get some syrian troops with heavy equipment low exp and morale and a bunch of ieds (does sf2 have vbieds?) And fanatical combatants.

If it was good enough then, it is probably good enough now. Just because there are new editor features, it doesn't mean that they have to be used. I've no idea how long triggers have been in the game but it has been at least since CMFB came out. Number of my scenarios that have used them = one, and I must have put out at about half a dozen scenarios from CMFB onwards. The one scenario, was a rework of Mark Ezra's Britain's Joy scenario that ships with CMSF-2 and I put the trigger in to achieve a single specific effect.

Sometimes I think that there is a tendency to overcomplicate things or feel that just because the tools are there, they have to be used. When prospective scenario designers start thinking this way, they end up mentally raising the bar to entry and then think, 'actually this is too hard so I won't bother'. I think this is a great shame because ultimately it reduces the amount of third party content.

4 hours ago, Combatintman said:

If it was good enough then, it is probably good enough now. Just because there are new editor features, it doesn't mean that they have to be used. I've no idea how long triggers have been in the game but it has been at least since CMFB came out. Number of my scenarios that have used them = one, and I must have put out at about half a dozen scenarios from CMFB onwards. The one scenario, was a rework of Mark Ezra's Britain's Joy scenario that ships with CMSF-2 and I put the trigger in to achieve a single specific effect.

Sometimes I think that there is a tendency to overcomplicate things or feel that just because the tools are there, they have to be used. When prospective scenario designers start thinking this way, they end up mentally raising the bar to entry and then think, 'actually this is too hard so I won't bother'. I think this is a great shame because ultimately it reduces the amount of third party content.

IIRC triggers were introduced with the RT release. The recent addition to AI plans that I like most is having it area fire on suspected buildings etc when it is not busy fighting a spotted target. To my "joy" a saw this introduced in one of the SF2 scenarios and it gave my FO a hard time even though he was hiding.